The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OOPS what happened to my injector pump?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jage fi France Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OOPS what happened to my injector pump?
    Posted: 19 Feb 13 at 09:34
Hi everyone,
Its been a while since I,ve been on the forum as I work abroad a lot. Nice to see you are all still at it.

I,m in the process of shifting my old Jx powered T3 out of the garage so I can get on with an AFN conversion on my Syncro.

To do this I had to change the injector pump so, this done i used a squeeze bulb on the diesel inlet line to prime the pump. When I started the engine diesel sprayed everywhere ! merde! Cry On inspection the injector pump main body has cracked open !  Now how did this happen?  it looks like its cracked from too much pressure on the inside, is this my fault from priming the pump with the squeeze bulb ?

I cant imagine anything else as this pump did work fine. ( unless my kids have been playing footy with it)
I changed the pump following all the manuals on the topic but there was nothing on bleeding them.

Now I have another pump which I have fitted but I don't want to start the engine without bleeding it all correctly in case I wreck this one two.

Any Advice much appreciated.

Jage.
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 13 at 12:45
Could it have water inside and frozen?
Jage fi France View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jage fi France Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 13 at 15:18
Hi Guys.  No, it couldnt have had water in it.

I am ok to fill up the new one with diesel and start it though, theres nothing in the pump that can cause that kind of pressure is there?

Jage
orcecaveman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orcecaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 13 at 16:06
You'd have been better posting this in the T3 tech rather than just the syncro. Maybe get more people reading it.

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 13 at 08:16
Have shifted it to T3 tech...

When you say you had to change the pump, why was this as you also say it was fine?

Is there no chance of there being water in the diesel and it sitting in the pump?

Ive never had to prime a pump when changing. Ive alwayss jst connected it up and cracked off the injectors, then cranked it over until Diesel comes out. And tighten em one by one.
Sometimes had to tighten them al up and loosen them one by one.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 13 at 08:17
Originally posted by Jage fi France Jage fi France wrote:

I am ok to fill up the new one with diesel and start it though, theres nothing in the pump that can cause that kind of pressure is there?

if it was something in the pump its smashed to bits now anyway so not going to affect the next pump

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
flowervanman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowervanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 13 at 18:47
Might not help but I've been using a shell garage that's just been refurbed with new tanks.
My trusty tranny ( van-not man/woman) has developed loads of injector and pump problems, my mechanic pal took it to bits and drained the tank and my diesel had loads of water in! I told the girl in the shell garage and she told me they'd had the alarms going off and called engineers to drain the water off the tanks numerous times!
Watery diesel is rife!!!
Founder Member of the One Man Brazilian Bay Club within a non club forum based chat thingy
Jage fi France View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jage fi France Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 13 at 07:53
Thanks a lot everyone for all the responses. 

The Van in Question had not been running for a couple of years as it was in storage. It was when I was trying to get it running that all the diesel sprayed out. 

I checked for water in the tank and there was none but after opening up the pump and finding all the internals to be in good condition I have to agree the damage was caused by freezing. I guess there must have been a little water in there or maybe the diesel itself froze.  I live high in the French alps and last winter it got down to a cracking (literally) -30 at night.     Most of the diesel we buy here is treated to resist -40 but I guess I just got unlucky or still had british diesel in it.Disapprove

I have since  got the van running with the pump out of my syncro I had and I have a third non working pump to re build with the parts from the cracked one. 

I found a great thread on the French T3 forum on rebuilding a pump oneself, including really detailed photos and easy step by step instructions in simple french.

So I'm off to do that now so I can get the syncro up and runningThumbs Up

Thanks for all the help.   Jage

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 13 at 19:07
The diesel itself won't freeze...but water inside the pump might of done.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 13 at 22:05
I reckon the head and rotor have seized together and when you've cranked it over the cam plate action has pushed the end of the pump off.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 13 at 22:20
We are gonna be needing pictures...and soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply