The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Oil: 506.01 v 507.00  once and for all... I hope!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil: 506.01 v 507.00 once and for all... I hope!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 09 at 12:04
I well remember a mate of mine converting a solid fuel stove to run off used engine oil in his workshop. It was rigged up with an oil pump off a Triumph Bonneville connected to a battery. The stove had a water jacket which fed radiators around the workshop. Underneath the bench where he normally stood was a radiator off a mini complete with fan. It worked really well. Too well in fact. The smokestack exited through the loft above where he stored hay and straw. You have guessed the rest haven`t you ! The stack got red hot and ignited the straw. Fire brigade came and extinguished it, brave lads, lying on the roof poking hoses through the slates. They never passed judgement either, told him to get some thermal long johns !  
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 09 at 15:27
We had one-insurance companies are keen though...We incorporated a sort of compartment in the chimney of ours for heating food. Main problem was,if it went out for any reason,such as water in the oil you could come back and find the workshop floor covered inused oil.
dani_dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 10 at 10:29
Hello all !

I'm new on this forum, i'm french sorry for my bad english :(

I got a T5 2.5 TDI 174ps 2004, 105.000 km .. (new engine in now, 0km)

There are really no problems to put 5w30 507.00 oil for longlife ??

when VW put a new engine in a T5 of 2004, they put a new engine in ?? I mean a 2006+ engine, is it possible ?

My father say they put a 507.00 oil in...

Thanks for answer.

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 10 at 16:20
Welcome to the brick-yard dani-dan.

I doubt very much that VW would have put a 2004 engine in your van, but in any case I firmly believe that VW507.00 oil is fine for ANY of the 2.5 5cyl TDI T5 engines (early or late builds).
dani_dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 10 at 18:45
Thanks for answer Greg.

Yes it's really strange that we can put this oil in van 2.5 5cyl TDI after 01/2006.

ref : http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/content/owners/Longlife_servicing.pdf

I think this is the same engine....

Edited by dani_dan - 03 May 10 at 08:44
Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 10 at 11:46
I just phoned the last place where my van was serviced and asked them about oils.

The guy I spoke to at service was very very adamant that I can only use 506.00 or 506.01. I'm likely to believe him because it was a computer says no (in this case yes) situation.

He also said it needs to be fully synthetic and be 0W-30. Final thing he said it needs to have the 'Long Life II" words on the packet.

How does this compare to what other people have been told?
dani_dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 07:31
I phoned to some differents VW place too here in France.

They all said 507.00 5w30 synthetic is ok... Some guys said they only use this oil now for longlife service for T5, Touareg, Phaeton, etc.

The opinions are different. 

Edited by dani_dan - 06 May 10 at 07:32
Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 08:05
It depends if you have a DPF or not. My van is an 06 and does not have not a DPF. The 506.00/506.01 is not suitable for DPF equipped vehicles. It was written on the can that 'This oil is not suitable for vehicles with DPF'.

Ca depend si vous avez un DPF ou pas. Mon van est un 2006 donc il y a pas un DPF. Si vous avez un DPF l'huile 506.00/506.01 ne marche pas. C'est ecrit sur la boite que 'Ce huile est pas pour les voitures avec un DPF'.

Voila. Desole pour mon Francais - je suis en fait Anglais.
dani_dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 08:23
Your French is good ;)

I don't have a DPF too, my van is 2004 but the engine will be changed this month.

Edited by dani_dan - 06 May 10 at 08:28
Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 08:36
You should use 506.00/506.01.

I also once heard that once to have started using 507.00 you should not go back to 506.00/506.01 because it can damage the engine. I can't remember why it would damage the engine I just retained the information that you cant go back to using the other oil.
dani_dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 08:48
i can't understand why they said in some websites that we can put 507.00 in all vehicules that used 506.01, 506.00, 505.01, 505.00, etc..., before only not in R5 TDI and V10 TDI... All TDI (pomp injectors or not ) except this two..

And in oil packet 504.00/507.00 longlife III they sell in VW places, it's not stipulated that can't be used on this engines.

It's really confused :(

Edited by dani_dan - 06 May 10 at 08:52
dani_dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dani_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 09:50
What do you think, it's not only a question of pollution ?

Why with DPF 507.00 is ok, and without is not ?

What's the utility of DPF ?

Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 12:17
Originally posted by dani_dan dani_dan wrote:

What do you think, it's not only a question of pollution ?

Why with DPF 507.00 is ok, and without is not ?

What's the utility of DPF ?

It is OK to use 507 00 in non-DPF engines.  Check the first pages of this thread (go to page number 1 of this subject).

Note: 506 01 has not been made and/or tested with DPF, so we do not know if it is OK.  Maybe it is OK, maybe it is not OK.  Anyway, we don't care because 507 00 is easier to get and normally cheaper to buy.

So:

If you have early 2.5 TDi 130 or 174 hp, with no DPF:  use 506 01 or 507 00

If you have late 2.5 TDi 130 or 174 hp, with DPF:  use 507 00

Your new engine:  does it have AXE engine code, or another?

2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 12:50
You cannot use 507 00 in an early 2.5 without DPF, you will damage the engine. This is what I have concluded from my research anyway for what its worth.
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 13:02
^WHS^ and I have the bills to prove it!

Left my original post but wanted to add: After shelling out for a new camshaft and followers I (as a personal choice) would ONLY use 506.01 for mine even though the evidence that HY provides states they are the same.

Edited by Liquidfreak - 18 Jun 10 at 14:20
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 13:40
Originally posted by simon bartlett simon bartlett wrote:

You cannot use 507 00 in an early 2.5 without DPF, you will damage the engine. This is what I have concluded from my research anyway for what its worth.

Have you read this thread from the beginning?

What engine damage do you think will occur?

How can you be sure that the damage that you've heard about was due to using one grade/spec of oil as opposed to another?

2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
andysam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andysam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 15:16
Originally posted by simon bartlett simon bartlett wrote:

Nah. My early (2006) 2.5 w/o DPF has a big original VW sticker under the bonnet telling me to use 507.00 ONLY.
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 10 at 19:32
cams went on the early models because they weren't heat treated properly, it wasn't anything to do with the oil
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 10 at 14:29
Sorry to bring this beast up again!

Was just about to buy some oil to do a service and I can across this on the VW site: 

The important bit to read is this:

"What is LongLife III oil?
LongLife oil is a high grade, fully synthetic oil with increased resistance to ageing at high temperatures. When LongLife servicing was originally introduced it was generally designated SAE 0W-30 and met Volkswagen standards 503 00 for petrol engines and 506 00 and later 506 01 for diesel engines. With the introduction of new emission limits for passenger cars in 2005 requiring the fitment of exhaust gas after-treatment devices, Volkswagen have upgraded their LongLife specifications to 504 00 for petrol and 507 00 for diesel. LongLife oils meeting 504 00/507 00 are now SAE 5W-30 viscosity. Apart from a few exceptions*, these new specifications replace the earlier 503 00/506 00/506 01 specifications. Oils meeting the new specifications are designed to work with the latest emissions control equipment, such as diesel particulate filters (DPF). Use of oil which only meets earlier LongLife specifications can halve the life of a DPF.

*All diesel vehicles fitted with R5 (5 cylinder) and 5.0ltr V10 engines and manufactured prior to 1 January 2006, cannot use oils meeting Volkswagen standard 507 00 even if equipped with a DPF. These engines should use oils meeting Volkswagen standard 506 01 (eg. Castrol Professional Longtec LongLife II 0W-30) for both LongLife and Time and Distance servicing regimes."

This ties up with andysam's post 2006 but pre dpf engine having a 507 sticker, and it says that even the early R5 touregs with a DPF should still use 506.01. So surely there must be a reason why these earlier engines need the 0w 30 506.01 oil instead of the 5w 30 507 stuff, and it obviously isn't anything to do with the DPF and its not because of the cams wearing out.

As Happy Yellows original research shows, the 507 is better oil, so it has to be something to do with the earlier engines needing thinner oil for something?
55 reg 174 LWB raven blue camper. Celtic remap, pipercross filter, MIJ de-cat and exhaust, Forge intercooler, Allard EGR powerpipe and oil catch tank
mistadave View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 10 at 14:51
Also just read on the castrol website:

The EDGE 5W-30 is suitable for all Audi vehicles on both variable and fixed servicing and VW cars on variable servicing with the exception of - VW R5 and V10 TDi engines (Touareg) and VW Commercial vehicles without fitted DPF (diesel particulate filters) – these must use the 506 01 (0w-30) specification oil (SLX Longlife II) – contact your VW/Audi dealer for this product.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>