The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOff-Topic...but you heard it here first!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off-Topic...but you heard it here first!
    Posted: 13 Sep 07 at 18:28

Discussion topic from some months ago with a few of you..think HH, Studioman etc... & not gloating, not the harbinger of doom, but if you're resting on anything speculative then get rid now! Sure, one day it'll all go back up again but this time it could take quite a few years. Would hate to see anyone on here get burned. Stock market also has some way to fall yet according to my trader mate......

http://www.home.co.uk/company/press/API_Sep07.htm

http://www.moneyweek.com/file/34865/uk-house-prices-start-to -fall.html

Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 07 at 18:31

Prices dropping rapidly in Aylesbury if you fancy picking up a bargain take alook in The Bucks Herald ..... and apparently there's now a housing surplus .....just like that!

kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 07 at 22:38

In my opinion we would all be better off if house prices fell to what they were about 8 years ago .

Ok i bought my place for 35 grand 10 years ago and its now worth 200 grand , but that makes me a prisoner in it because to move one step up the ladder means another 100 k on my mortgage .

if prices were more like 50 grand for the same place i couuld and would afford another 20 grand on my mortgage and move to the house i want .

Unless we  sell up a go abroad where property is chaep we will neber gain from any money we may have made from the housing prices inflating so much .
and what the hell are my kids going to do , wait for me to die before they own a house , thats about the only option left here in the west if they want to stay here .

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 07 at 22:49

We rent.

We both work, have a youth, another on the way and can't afford shit!

kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 07 at 22:55
Originally posted by Baxter Baxter wrote:

We rent.

Exactly my point if prices were still sensible you maybe could buy somewhere , its a tough situation to be in

my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
SilverT5TDI130 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 07 at 09:04
Originally posted by kernow kernow wrote:

i bought my place for 35 grand 10 years ago and its now worth 200 grand ,

Exactly the same as me! I actually remortgaged my house 3 years ago to partially buy my van  after all, it is virtually my second home

No doubt a price decline is going to happen & we'll just have to watch this space to see if it's a minor bump or a major crash!

Dibz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 07 at 12:52

it is rediculous at the mo...

i live in a cheap part of the country and me and the missus bought our first house last year, first time buyers and it was well over 100 grand... gulp... and at the time we pretty much decided to buy what we wanted from a house rather than buy a first house on the assumption that we wouldn't be able to afford to 'move up' in the near future.

starsKEY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 07 at 17:35

I've seen 15% being bandied about for some time. There does also seem to be some 'anti speculator' comments on here, which I find frustrating.

I'm currently building a place to live in, a pretty handsome size on a good size plot, this I am doing as to buy what I wanted where I wanted would have cost around another 150 - 200k! That's as an aside to an existing property not being exactly what we wanted. As it happens, even if we 'lost' 30% of our value the day we move in (or before at the current rate) I'll not be too upset. That's life and I can afford the home we are building, that 30% would have been our 'profit' if we sold it straight away, but thats not the intention. Now, with a rental or speculative property I'll see the same 'loss' percentage - if I am preppared to 'risk' losing this then where is the issue? A rental property is much the same as a private pension, which will also be affected by any big crash. It's really only short term developers that might get stung. But thats their business, and thats exactly what it is, not greed, it's business.

If we 'wish' that the prices will crash and a huge chunk falls off the value of property stock then its fair to say that this will have a knock on reccessional affect, Im betting that plumbers will not be charging 7k to replace heating systems much longer, brickies £30K for a garage build, who'll then not bung the missus a few hundred quid to get the kids some trainers etc etc ultimately meaning people will lose their properties as they'll not be able to afford them, having over stretched themselves, either thru neccessity or otherwise. So who will be buying cheap property then? Your kids? First time buyers? I'll certainly be interested! What will happen with this bankrupt stock? They'll be rented to people who then can't get mortgages as the property market is too risky a proposition to throw low interest rates at, or because they lost their last one.

Its all numbers, and a lot of the current price reductions are the result of scare mongering. If an interest rate 'pinch' wont work, a bit of public hysteria might do the trick! Houses are currently overpriced and I'm sure they'll come down some more yet - but to what level? 15% 30% 40% If its 40% Any of the latter and we'll have more to worry about than the house!

Its not Aircooled, It's Airconditioned.
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 07 at 18:17

My guess is a minimum 15% re-alignment downwards over the next year which in real terms is 21% (with interest rates at 6%); and this has to happen because we have been living in a ludicrous bubble. Unless wages increased by 12% overnight this bubble is totally unsustainable.

Today Rightmove's figure's for August suggest that the average house price in England has fallen over £6k in just one month!! So perhaps my prediction above is too conseravtive and there is a huge crash around the corner. Who knows?

I admire hard-working folks struggling to do up a place and make a few quid; nothing wrong with that...but what pi**es me off is people who suddenly jack in their jobs after watching yet another programme on property, thinking it's easy to make money by instantly becoming Mr Property Developer. Well in a rising market it's been easy but in my area those days are over and to be honest I am pleased.....

104T28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 07 at 18:26

If you are worried about all this then probably best to not read this! I think it's abit extreme but then lots of people have been very silly and very greedy recently........

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/columnists/article.html?in _article_id=424293&in_page_id=19&in_author_id=2046

Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 07 at 20:30

I personally, wouldn't worry to much about what the housing market will or wont do in the next couple of years !.

Yes, it true that over an 8 to 10 year period from 96 ish to 05 ish, house prices have rocketed out of control. (I bought 2 houses for 36 k in 99 and sold them in 01 for over 140 each ! ).

These days will NEVER be seen again !!.

The 2 main problems with the high cost of housing that I see are;

The near impossible task of getting on the housing ladder to start with,

And people " remortgaging " of all of their equity during the rise in values.

We seem to be living in a very " crude " economic environment where the powers that be try to dictate how much money we spend,( inflation ), by using the interest rates.

This reflects the sad truth that, in today's world, everyone seems to be in debt !. ( big mortgages ).

If you are able to resist the temptation of cheap money against your house then you should have little to fear if the housing market goes "bang".

No one can argue that house prices are at an unsustainable level, and I, for one, would welcome a 35 % drop across the board !.  

In my part of Cambridge-shire there is a new word being used in many of the details of houses going the market,  " REDUCED "!!.

This is only my opinion. What do I know !!.

Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 07 at 21:17

Second all of that 50, and surprisingly since 1972 prices have only gone up 2.4% per year on average. That is across the whole country of course. So it's easier to see why a large correction has to be due...

House Price Crash Graph

starsKEY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 07 at 17:47
Originally posted by 104T28 104T28 wrote:

If you are worried about all this then probably best to not read this! I think it's abit extreme but then lots of people have been very silly and very greedy recently........

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/columnists/article.html?in _article_id=424293&in_page_id=19&in_author_id=2046

Seems this is a bit more scare mongering (the report) at what rate did Northern Rock get its emergency loan? Hmmmm.

Its not Aircooled, It's Airconditioned.
104T28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 07 at 18:07

Quite interesting if these things interest you. Basically if you've something to sell then get on with it!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iNeCetQeLLU

gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 07 at 20:23
there is defo a corection due in the housing market .but this wont happen in
london i hope as i live here
104T28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 07 at 17:49
Baxter wrote:

We rent.

Hi Bax.....well you might just be able to soon! Enjoy!

http://money.guardian.co.uk/houseprices/story/0,,2188331,00. html

Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 07 at 17:57

Definately gone from being a bit of 'insider' talk and pub chatter to mainstream news. My next-but-one neighbour's just dropped house by £30k and still no interest so guess if you haven't sold yet it's probably too late, for a while anyway!

Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 07 at 23:05

In sunny Swindon the market is swamped with flats or studio apartments as their called now, there is a new delvelopement just down the road from me and 60-80 % are unsold I was talking to the agent this week and he says that last year he would of sold the entire delvelopment from plans and the only marketing he would of had to of done was put a sign up

I'm not concerned if the housing market crashes but I wouldn't like intrest rates to rise, I like spending spare cash on the van or holidays

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
 Post Reply Post Reply