The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nreg lt35 horsebox handbrake failiure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nreg lt35 horsebox handbrake failiure
    Posted: 06 May 16 at 08:29
Hi everyone and let me introduce myself.My name is del and i am now a personal assistant to my horse loving ladies wonderful n reg vw lt35 2.4 non turbo 95/96 horselorry..I"m very fond of it and a very solid and proud machine..anyway my good lady has gone off to pony camp this weekend and on arrival pulled the handbrake and the connecting rod under lorry bed has snapped and end has gone awol..all this imformation came to me via a text?..The rac man said its has to be recovered home and could not help plus the horse as well could turn into a very long experience.as far as i can gather this part is getting like hens teeth and wondered is it something that could be fabricated to get her home safe.I could not find any pictures of the rod/mechanism and other than going blind to try i"m at a loss.I used to be a plant fitter and own a 20+ old classic car so not unfamiliar to the unforseen.Any help and advice would be gratefully received.Thanks HJ.
hj
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 16 at 10:14
Hi HJ. I had a similar failure on my LT28 and helpfully it was during the MOT test. I could not find the part but managed to fabricate the rod out of 2 lengths of studding bolted together . The rear end piece is a backward facing C on my 28 with a narrowing hole at each end for the rear cables to locate into and a hole in the middle where I bolted the studding. I found by using thinner 4mm I think studding I could get the flexibility to go from the side to the middle of the van. To aid the slide of the studding when the brake is applied I covered the studding in brake bleed pipe.

I hope this helps. Do pm me if you need further details and I hope you get it sorted.
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
honestjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 16 at 14:32
Thanks Simon..great description..and very welcome.I may just go to wickes in the morning procure some supplies and head off to the lorry..hj.
hj
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 16 at 14:48
Hi HJ . I've found a couple of pictures of my "repair" if you want to pm me with an email address I'll ping them over ?
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
honestjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 16 at 16:48
Well i went to wickes bought supplies drove to camp and did it..its hard to check binding on the drums with lorry in a field but had to feel my on the free play disengaged and tensioned engaged movements..Test drove around the field (on sloping ground)..The other problem unknown to me was the handbrake lever.When the rod snapped the handbrake went beyond normal movement and the button spring and rod popped out..cant be fixed properly with vertical rod attached..so removed vertical rod pin to get handbrake upwards..after much head scratching figured it out and all was well.I dont mind admitting i"m knackered after the driving the buying the worry and the work.and a big thanks to you simon for your help on this.i"ve learned something today.hj
hj
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 16 at 19:02
Great news it's fixed and in a field !!!

handbrake design confused me for a bit as well.
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 16 at 19:44
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 16 at 20:25
That's a very useful link which I didn't have . Your such a mine of information 😄😄 Thank you .
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 16 at 16:51
I am signed up for VAGCat but it is not always running, for whatever reason.
PartsBase was my usual source, but that has been down for days now.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 16 at 09:11
Hello and welcolm  honestjoe, sorry only just saw your post trouble  is most of us spend too much time on the f/b volt page dedicated to LT'S hope you got sorted if so post pic's please.
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
honestjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 16 at 07:21
Good morning all..My good lady and her horse made it home safe and sound..as i said before my main concern was binding or not biting enough when needed but thank god all ended well and my reward was relief and real ale and pizza in the garden on a fine summers evening..I met her at the yard and checked the drums for heat generation and they were cool so perhaps a little more adjustment could be available.I did take some pictures on my toy phone so will try to show my efforts.attention is now turning to vertical shaft which i should imagine is as worn as the the main rod..I will probably buy the proper steel bar and a tap and die and remake the rods..cost of parts for this emergency repair with spare rod remaining..£13.00..I will post exactly what was used and quantities later..Thanks folks..hj.
hj
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 07:42
Hi HJ. I'd be interested in your focus on the vertical bar as I had just assumed all would be well - I'll add it to my long list !!

Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
honestjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 18:32
Hi Simon..the vertical rod looks ok but where both rods join the intermediate lever in the wheelarch are exposed to all the water and mud sprayed up by the wheel as well as the constant wear to the rods themselves resulting in the main rod failing in the lever i cant help feeling the vertical one cant be far behind..the question is do i use normal use steel rod or something stronger..any thoughts? hj.

Edited by honestjoe - 11 May 16 at 18:34
hj
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 19:06
Hi HJ.

Has the main rod broken in the lever ? You are having no luck with this handbrake. The link in this thread helpfully posted by LTcamper89 ( who is a font of knowledge on these things)' appears to show some handbrake parts are available . Try a search using the part number shown in the link - I've just done a quick Google and there is availability overseas.

for the rods linkage under the wheelarch I have a rubber cover on my 28 which I have filled with grease in an attempt to protect the moving link.
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 16 at 18:35
HugEmbarrassed

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Post Reply Post Reply