The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Normal' T3 or T3 Syncro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Normal' T3 or T3 Syncro
    Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 02:03
Hello All,
  I am noo here, haven't got a van yet, am in the process RIGHT NOW! I have a couple of options -i would appreciate if anyone would help me out with:
  I'm choosing between a T3 multi-van 1.6td, and a T3 Syncro 1.6td Hi-top... I am inclined towards the syncro because it has a hi-top, but i am concerned about the 4WD aspect -it's expensive, isn't it, if it goes wrong? I should say at this point that i know almost nothing about mechanics in general, let alone diff locks, etc :)  So, my questions are: (1) Can i use the Syncro as a 2WD if something does go wrong with the 4WD mechanisms? (2) Is there any other advantage to owning a 4WD over a 2WD (i'm not intending to do any off-roading!).
  I guess the advice i'm looking for is whether or not the Syncro is OK to go for in terms of mechanical complications /costs. I'd appreciate advice -i've only got a day and a half to decide!
  Thanks in advance
:)
A
if u can't beat it -eat it!
Stu Dapples View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Ebenezer Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Dapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 06:51
Dont know much about Syncros, dont know much bout history (Sorry!)

I knew very little about mechanics generally when I ventured into VWs, you will learn! Some very knowledgable and helpful people on here, not to mention the wealth of info on older posts... If I had the chance I would go Syncro, just because they are a bit (more?) unusual... Seem to be getting rarer too...

Pretty sure you can run in 2wd, there is a sybcro dedicated section on the main page, have a mooch (you will no doubt be told to utilise the oft ignored "search" function!) quite a few of the syncronauts will give you some advice...

I run a hi top, I love it, the debate will no doubt run its course in reply to your thread about ice cream vans, parking problems, they look shite etc but to each his own! Depends what you want it for, practicality, looks, performance, bit of each, either way, welcome to the forum!

Customary for new guys to get the virtual beers in BTW, bit early so just an espresso with a shot of Amaretto for me!!
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him, you will be a mile away, and have his shoes...
shifty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 07:30

Morning these decisions are never easy i guess id say go hitop IF your gonna get the use out of it if not multivan and decent awning large coffee for me ta

ITS ALL FUN AND GAMES TILL SOMEONE GETS HURT               THEN ITS HILARIOUS
eatcustard2 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatcustard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 07:37
I have a high top, and its great for storage.
You can stand up in the back, so no bad backs.
But they do like to jump lanes in high winds.

Sorry cant help on the Syncros, but if the do go wrong it can cost £££

Pint of stella for me :)
Van less, but not for much longer
Nev View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 08:11
If I had the choice I'd buy a Syncro, forget the cash, either way you'll be spending plenty.
That's the non educated opinion!
That said, I always have issues with those people driving 4wd's and only taking their kids to school, or popping down the shops.
I thought I'd never need a 4wd, but I had my panel van stuck now 4 times since christmas. Once at the foot of kinder I was thinking how good a Syncro would be, and I know of a couple camp sites where it could help too!
A fool and his money are easily parted! Especially when the fool owns a T3
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 08:22
If I were you, i'd decide what YOU want before you get spun out by this one!! Do you want a van with a tin top, or do you want a camper with a high top??? Decide that first.  Then start thinking about syncro, 2wd. Sounds like you don't need a syncro, do you need a high top?? If the answer to both is no, then concentrate very hard on buying a good Multivan. Your money will be safe if you are careful. there's a lot more factors that you might need to consider too, and what's with the day and a half time scale? Give yourself more time, or employ the services of someone with knowledge! Firstly though, decide what it is you need and want from your van. Smile
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Nev View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 08:24
Thats the educated opinion, I bet he has loads of money saved and his sock draw all organised!
He he!
A fool and his money are easily parted! Especially when the fool owns a T3
Syncro up View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncro up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 08:33
^^^what he said^^^
The first thing you should do is decide what you need, then spend time finding the best motor you can in the style you want for your budget. Unless youve managed to find two cracking vans, then a rushed decision is only going to cost you in the long run.

However, to answer some of your original question. Yes its easy and safe to run a synco in 2wd, just remove the prop shaft. However assuming your find is the same as most of the other syncros around, its viscous couple will have stiffed up over time and with improper wheel rotation, this will have put extra stress on the gear box. Meaning it will probably need rebuilt. But i recon thats all youd need to do to run a syncro in 2wd. The up side of the synco is that you have lockers, and spending sometime gettng the rear locker free-ed will come in handy on some wet camping site one day, i promise. The other up side is that sycros are a limited species and growing in popularity and hence value, so looking after it and your money should be reasonably safe.

My advice would always be dont buy a syncro unless you really want it... and then expect to pay for it, however you can avoid some of the costs by running 2wd
Life is like a toilet roll...

The closer it get to the end, the faster it goes.

'87 RHD 2.1 Syncro Moonraker

'91 RHD AAZ Syncro Single cab pick up
Aardvark View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 09:35
Not sure about the logic of buying a vehicle with perm 4x4 and running it without a propshaft...
 even then the gearbox for a Syncro is different, it will have suffered more wear and tear , it will cost more to renovate. Viscous Coupler = £700, Gearbox rebuild £1000......need I go on.

The front CV's are £100 ish each (outer) and £50 ish each (inner) and even in 2wd need to be OK or will fail MOT & or be dangerous, the suspension and brake components are expensive and not the same as 2wd and you cant really lower it easily (nor should you - its for off road !) which is a common modification and improves ride and handling. 

Rule of thumb - if you dont really really want a Syncro then dont get one, it will cost money, it will be more demanding, it will cost you more to run ( even making it 2wd by dropping the prop wont save much as the drag of the front dif and axles). Dig a hole and throw your money in it... 

If you do want a Syncro then get it - I got one and its great but.......
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 10 at 18:54
What Timmy says is bang on. I have a syncro and love it. In fairness ive had 6 of these vans, and they all cost £££ Syncro or not.

Dont be panicked by the costs, but be prepared that whatever you buy will need time & money.

I dont off road in mine but it can get me to the waters edge for my Kayak, and is great for rough camping, ive never been stuck in it, but would have been in a 2WD.

Good luck, welcome to the yard, and let us know what you buy.
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
Mr A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 13:53
Cheers all... **** i bought the syncro! Picking it up tomorrow. -I only got ur replies today (couldn't even find my post on the forum!)... basically, the syncro was on auction, it looked great, and it has the kind of hi-top i most like and very very rarely see: so i bid, and (actually, to my total suprise) i won. Tbh, i am now pooping myself a bit . . . i have spent all my cash -everything -LOL!! -Thanks chaps, good replies, totally sobered me up.

So, it seems that the gearbox and viscous coupling are most affected by the 4WD aspect (and that's only what you've told me) -would i be able to tell if there's a problem with a test-drive? if there's anything i can check before i hand over the cash, please let me know.

...Just to fill you in, she is 1989 (round headlamps, yeah!), rebuilt engine 16k miles ago, 12 years with one previous owner and complete records during that whole time. I am going to see her /picking her up tomorrow afternoon -i guess the 200 mile drive back home will be the test. I will let u know how it goes. -Thanks again for the input, much appreciated, feel very welcome :) -Drinks all round (make mine a double)
Andi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 14:25
Lots of useful info on drivetrain available on here   http://www.syncronauts.org.uk/  
& some good test drive pointers here  http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Syncro_-_Testing

Good luck
Mr A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 16:56
Cheers there Andy. -I'm coming up ur way to get it!
Andi View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 16:58
Originally posted by Mr A Mr A wrote:

Cheers there Andy. -I'm coming up ur way to get it!

Intriguing, Where is it?
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 17:06
Equally intrigued.
There's not many about and fewer that are unknown.
Top choice BTW, you will be very poor but will grin like an idiot, they are great fun especially when it snows a lot.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
Mr A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 17:09
nr Beeston

:)

(grinning like an idiot)
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 17:15
Stick some pics up when you have some.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 17:36
yeah , paul likes to see a working syncro now and then......WinkLOL
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 17:37
Especially a Hi-Top eh Jase?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 10 at 17:38
folding hi top if you please
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>