The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Noisy side door, adjust or replace runners?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm4rt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noisy side door, adjust or replace runners?
    Posted: 07 Jan 12 at 23:41
The side sliding door on my 2002 Multivan has started to creak, rattle and knock occasionally ... Was hoping to take if off and adjust or replace the runners etc, but does anyone know of a good guide on how to best go about doing this?

Also not obvious (at least to me) about how to remove the grey internal side door trim ... Any ideas?
Sm4rt

... Flying the flag ...

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 12 at 23:57
bottom runner just unbolts from the door bracket with two 5mm allen bolts but you need to remove the door stop first
pull the step cover off (it prises off clips) undo the two phillips screws visable to the rear of the step.
support the edge of the door and undo the allen bolts. the roller will now withdraw to the rear.

bung the new one in and refit

beware there are varying qualities.

vw bottom runners are 90 quid

t4srus do one for 17.99(which i had fitted on the project t4) and there is a casting defect on the nylon wheel which has a flat spot. runs loads better than the old one but not perfectly smooth. 

9 times out of 10 its the bottom runner thats fubar, no need for grease or owt as it encourages shite to stick to the rollers!!

Edited by jason k - 07 Jan 12 at 23:59
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 12 at 06:58
^^^ He's not Wrong^^^

Mine does occaisionally but it's where the Styleline door panel touches the Step,
A regular spray with Silicon round the Rubbers & Spring Locators for the door usually cures it for a month or so or Turn RADIO UP Big smile
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut
sm4rt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm4rt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 12 at 09:48
Cheers Jaosn, I thought I had seen these at some point on Simons site but can't see any now, will take a look at the T4sRUS though as I suspect your prob may have been a one off - just need to check the quality of moulding before fitting

Dan ... Tried the silicon trick, works for a few days, but then comes back ... Seems a bit random so think it probably is just worn runners ... Mind you, the radio up loud sorts it every time :-)
Sm4rt

... Flying the flag ...

jurasik View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurasik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 12 at 11:39
Have you properly lub'ed the witches hats? The sockets on the B pillar - spray lube (silicone or lithium spray grease) into the join between the casing & the circular reciever. Spray ALOT into this join. Then put your finger into the reciever & twist it around as much as you can & push it down as well. This will put the grease deep into socket & should stop the squeak.
No Matter where you go, there you are.
sm4rt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm4rt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 12 at 06:38
Have tried some silicon spray ... Didn't work ... But not actual grease ... Might give that a try as I can't see any obvious wear on the rollers ...

Cheers
Sm4rt

... Flying the flag ...

jurasik View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurasik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 12 at 11:14
Try tidy Transporters for the bottom roller. He does a kit which replaces it - easy to do as well.
No Matter where you go, there you are.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 12 at 17:37
grease wont do owt mart other than attract every bit of shite to stick to the roller.

its prob worn down but you wont see that as you dont know its original size.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Reply Post Reply