The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need a new engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a new engine
    Posted: 20 Oct 15 at 23:13
Hi can anyone help me, my 1991 lt 6 cylinder 2.4 petrol engine has expired. I've spent a fortune on the bodywork over the last few years it's in great condition thus am reluctant to just let it go. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. What if any are my options ? Thanks
pitchinbadger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 15 at 23:42
Sorry what a donut I am , I need a replacement engine out of ???.? I have looked on the forum but keep going around in circles. What, if anything would be the easiest option I've looked about for a few months now and can't find a replacement head so it has to be another engine. Does anything go strait in ? I have but a month before I have to move it from a friends barn so if I can't find owt then I'll have to call a scrap yard which seems a terrible shame as its a super van
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 15 at 11:36
The only thing which will drop straight in is another identical engine. A diesel would go in but you will need a lot of other parts too.

Ask http://vwenginerecon.co.uk/ about a head rebuild. It may be worth having the whole thing looked at while they are on.

You will only get 200-250GBP in scrap, so hardly worth it, probably less than that to move it somewhere else and keep it.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 15 at 18:06
Thank you I'll take a look scrapping a last resort
byroad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote byroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 15 at 19:57
when you say expired,just how expired? is it gulping oil,overheating, knocking,bad starting or doing 3 gallons to the mile?There may be a cheaper quicker answer than a new engine.Who condemned it,it may well be as buggered as you think, but check all routes before you spend big time.

old truckers don't die, they get a camper!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 15 at 18:23
Well failed mot on emissions so I did a compression test and 2 cylinders showed nowt, lifted head and 2 exhaust valves were cracked. Took head to engineers and they pressure tested head and said it had gone porous so no good pointless putting in new valves. Looked high and low for a replacement head but no chance. I need to move the van from a friends barn by the end of November so I think I'm shafted unless anyone here can come up with any ideas
outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 15 at 22:45
Just a thought, but have you tried looking on some of the German sites for heads?

Seems to be more chance of getting a spare from over there.

LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 15 at 23:17
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 15 at 23:20
PM Mat_the_Cat he has just got one shiny SOB ;)

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 15 at 10:42
Thanks guys have sent some messages fingers crossed
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 15 at 11:41
Andy van on here has a low mile petrol Lt motor.......
Drop him a pm
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 15 at 15:39
Thanks will do now
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 16 at 08:46
Did you find and fit a head or engine in the end ? Smile
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 09:27
Hi yep found a cylinder head and got her all back together running and passed Mot all in just under £1000. Was very hard work indeed not an easy job at all, getting parts was a nightmare now need to decide what to do next sell or keep hold of her ?????
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 16:26
You sir are the only one qualified to make that decision, but if I had a running and MOTd bus that has just cost £1000, I would be using it.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 10 Mar 16 at 16:27

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchinbadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 16 at 18:34
Oh if only it was that strait forward, its very complicated indeed Id rather just pass it on to someone who would love it and use it its such a waste just sitting there but my wife has a more emotional attachment to it than me, we shall see 
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 16 at 08:52
Glad it worked out ! If you think that's the end of major work for a few years I'd be like LTCamper and your wife and keep. Seems a lot of work and stress for somebody else to benefit :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply