The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery Clonk/Rattle Driving in Heavy Rain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim4447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery Clonk/Rattle Driving in Heavy Rain
    Posted: 03 Jan 18 at 12:13
Bear with me here !
Brickwerks have checked steering, suspension, brakes for anything dangerously loose on my T3 , AAZ Westy Pop Top.
Despite this , from around the footwell area or maybe under drivers seat,( difficult to isolate ) there is a rattle and clonking when driving in heavy rain, cannot, after hours of searching , find anything obvious.
Can cover hundreds of miles in the dry without a squeak !

Anyone had anything similar please, before it drives me nuts.

Cheers.

PS Ride height has changed with new Eibach lowering springs, replacing the AVO,s.

Edited by Jim4447 - 03 Jan 18 at 13:44
Jim4447 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim4447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 13:16
A bit baffling, any ideas ?
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 18 at 12:43
Without stating the obvious it has to be something the spray is getting to, it can have a fair bit of force especially at speed. Guessing you can find out what speed it starts at.
I'd start by removing the front grille & headlamps etc to see if there is anything loose behind.
Can you duplicate the noise with a pressure washer, be a bit messy but you could get underneath.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Jim4447 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim4447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 18 at 18:36
Many thanks Andy, a good idea to try and replicate with a pressure washer etc.

I have stripped off the front end of everthing that will come off, tightening , tie wrapping etc. as I go.

It might be something trapped above the tank, the jet spray might help identify.

Thanks again , greatly appreciated, might well contribute to my sanity ! LOL
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 18 at 19:25
Have you checked the vapour tanks in the wheel arches?
Jim4447 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim4447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 18 at 08:56
Will check them, I have wheel arch liners so didn,t think of that,
Cheers and thanks.
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 18 at 09:54
Might well be the wheel arch liners then. The pressure of the water coming off the wheels could be making them rattle
Jim4447 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim4447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 18 at 19:20
Cheers, will try without them, been too cold to get pressure hose underneath to check them. Confused

PS. I have trimmed them ( the arch liners ) with dum-dum putty, having heard they "chafe" the underseal off and then the paint, possibly causing the problem they are meant to prevent.
The plot thickens.
Thanks again.
e42b View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e42b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 18 at 21:59
Maybe the rotten stabiliser bearings. They're made of rubber, and when water comes on them, it could be that the stabiliser is moving to where it should not do.

Just a speculation.

Good luck.
E.
Jim4447 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim4447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 18 at 14:23
Thank you e42b and all who offered help, think I finally solved it and maybe of help to share.

Above the front spring attached to the bus floor by a kind of tie-wrap retaining clip, are the speedo cable, assorted pipework etc.
This clip had failed , leaving the said pipework etc. free to "waffle about" in the wind and rain, clonking up and down and side to side, also catching on the steering universal joint directly below them.

Fingers crossed all is silence and peace, well almost , it is a T3 !Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply