The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multivan 2007 passenger door deadlocked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multivan 2007 passenger door deadlocked
    Posted: 25 Nov 19 at 12:44
I thought i would write in my experience with the door as there is so much varying info to get a deadlocked door open.
Front passenger door locked shut. Pulling the inside handle was lifting the lock indicator but not unlocking the door. Pressing the unlock on the key would produce a slight buzzing noise from the mechanism but nothing else. Same for unlock button from drivers side.All searches came up with different suggestions.
1. corroded wiring under seat. mine was spotless and i cut and re spliced it just in case. No change
2. remove rubber grommet from back of door and remove lock blank and bash on CL mechanism whilst pressing button to unlock. no luck
3. bash on door while pressing unlock button. no joy.
4. disconnect battery for 15min. 
5. re-sync keys to car.
etc.
The cables connecting the handles were still good and i could see them moving the levers inside.

Everything else i tried also came up fruitless.

Passenger seat and base had to be removed. I made sure i always disconnected the battery before disconnecting any airbag stuff so as not to throw up a faults code.
So with violence i pulled out the step from under the door. This took a lot of swearing and manipulation using bits of wood and massive screwdrivers etc but it eventually came out buy shearing one or two of the small white pins that holds it in.
Then the inner door card screws underneath could be accessed and removed. Then i had to use a lot of force to get the door card off as there is a 25mm diam plastic locating pin on the multis that is exactly behind where the dash console covers the closed door so it cant be simply lifted up to free it, hence I cracked the door card to get it out. Again it took alot of force.
Then i could remove the inner steel doorcard to access the lock. At this stage ide had enough and smashed open the lock from inside to unlock the deadlock. Even this took a lot of force. Sounds brutal but that is what i had to do to get it open. Once the lock was pried apart there is a green lever hinged at the bottom that needs to be levered forward and the lock plunger can then be pulled down inside to release the dead lock and the door then opened with the handle from the outside.
It was a major headache to the point i think i will open the new lock and file off the catch tang on the green lever to prevent it ever happening again.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 19 at 18:19

Good write up! If it's ok with you I will add it as another link in the how-to-do section.

Looks like you did exhaust most possibilities before getting brutal but patience and almost endless repetition does sometimes pay off particularly with slapping the door whilst operating the remote. Still, sometimes you just have to get violent!
Nice job.
2004 2.5 174
Stryne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 19 at 07:25
T5 TDI,
I'm a bit surprised you would agree to this kind of 'repair' which is agreeing to the 
butchering the job, there are surely a number of posts where this job is done with
minimal to no damage in the same situation, I know personally having "been there
done that".
Stryne.
2005 T5 2.5L 128Kw 6SpA LWB med. roof
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 19 at 18:24
I always advise anyone to try all the usual methods the op has tried plus exercise extreme patience which sometimes works. But if the lock is seized in the double locked position and won't respond to all the usual tricks you have to cut or rip the trim off. It is not the thing you do first, I wasn't saying that or supporting any kind of butchery but sometimes eventually
it does come to that.
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply