The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mk1 LT40 2384cc pistons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mk1 LT40 2384cc pistons
    Posted: 27 Oct 17 at 10:30
Does anyone have any idea if oversize pistons are even a possibility in this day and age for said vehicle?

I keep drawing a complete blank wherever I look and I really don't want to put my old pistons back into the wagon after so much work. It would seem like a horrible waste of effort and I'd have to put up with piston slap every morning until it warmed up. I have a place set to do the rebore but i obviously won't instruct them to go ahead until I know if it's possible to find the right bits.

Tnx in advance. Noober.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 17 at 10:40
For the petrol version

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 17 at 10:50
Another question. Any ideas what other vehicle VAG used this engine in if any?

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 17 at 11:48
Engine is based on a 1.6ltr diesel engine from the golf.
Don't know if any parts are common but you could check on vagcat etc.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 17 at 11:52
thanks Andy. I've had a stroke of luck finding the actual part numbers  for 2 of the over sizes.

the 0.25mm oversize is listed as 073107071 and the 1mm oversize is listed as 073107091

now the trawl can begin

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 17 at 12:25

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 17 at 12:27

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 17 at 18:29
found them. 90quid a pop through anglia engines for the 0.5mm oversize.

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 17 at 19:27
It's a fair old bill mate, but would have been much worse if you didn't have access to machinery.
At least you know that doing the job yourself you know no corners have been cut.

The lube system you mentioned earlier will help protect the valve seats, but as for the carb just start on petrol and end the journey on petrol. This will keep the seals etc in good order.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 17 at 11:31
Yes it's a good feeling to know it's all being done to a high standard without cut corners. The reboring will have to be done externally and that is no doubt going to add a fair chunk to the cost of the pistons but it'll be a proper job. When we measured the pistons for wear we figured that we could probably get away with the smallest overbore at 0.25mm which would incur a 50% saving on the 0.5mm piston size increase but the engine shop were pretty certain that trying to hone out so little was potentially quite tricky and so I'm happy enough to let them do what they do best. It goes in again on monday morning.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 16:53
Anglian Engines have let me down on these pistons....having recieved the wrong pistons in the post from their supplier they tried to convince me that in having given them the DL engine reference, that DL was for deisel engines....and talked to me like i was a complete cretin for thinking otherwise....

I am now looking to eastern europe again for my alternative options

I can find a few Romanian companies  that advertise the oversize pistons. Does anyone know if LTs are still common enough over there that the web adverts could indeed be accurate or does it sound like a complete waste of time and mental energy?

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 17:12
Lots of LTs in Eastern Europe, if that still exists.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 17:27
well, i guess that means that the likelyhood of the parts having migrated that way is fairly certain....I'll try em tmrw. ;) wish me luck with google translate!

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 20:38
AndyT, I'd be interested to know what exact model Golf 1.6ltr Diesel these engines were based upon?

If it became a real struggle later on to find what I needed perhaps if some of the essential dimensions were matching between the golf pistons and those of the LT DL pistons, I could find golf ones and get some help to carefully modify them to suit my requirements. Worst case scenario....

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 21:37
This is the best reference I could find, although I'm sure it has been discussed on the forum somewhere. Just scroll down to engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_LT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_D24_engine

Edited by AndyT - 02 Nov 17 at 21:43

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 22:00
thank you\!!

Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 17 at 22:36
Hmm... i started to google to find out exactly witch Golf engine it came from.
It comes from the Ea 827 series. And the bore and stroke is the same as the 1,6 Diesel Bore:76,5 and stroke 86,4 However. the first vag diesel engine with this bore and stroke was the 6 syl diesel in the LT from august 1978. The 1,6 CS engine in the Golf, Audi 80, Polo and Passat started in August 1980
So actually it is based on the 1,5 Diesel engine with the same bore but a 80mm stroke.
If you look at the petrol engines, the 1,3 and 1,4 liter engines for Golf and Polo had the same bore.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_discontinued_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 17 at 08:51
Thanks for this information, folks. All useful stuff that I should have been able to find for myself :) on wikipedia but I'm happy you all interested enough to point me in the right direction. Valuable resourses all in one place can't be a bad thing.

Post Reply Post Reply