The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > Other VW > Caddy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mk1 caddy quick project (hopefuly)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 12 at 09:02
yeah I know its a bit of a shit colour to spray, the bed aint the straightest but all that is happening with that is it is getting stone chipped then covered again so I am not too bothered about that. the rest of the body work there is a few dents and dinks but the bloke who is spraying it, who is a sprayer and pannel beater, body work person by trade said they should pull out and when we are done it will be okay to go black, but he only had a quick look, Iwill get him down again before I put the order in on the colour so he can 100% make sure.

what other colour would you sujest though ? :)
nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 13:14
well a bit of an up date been a bit steady latly.

cut out the bit that was rotten in the bed and arch on the drivers side

made up a repair pannel for it

got it tacked in just need to finish it off.

after i had filiped the axle properly with the propper saddles i deacided i might as well take it all to bits so it can be painted properly and look abit better

axle off

then you know how it is one thing leads to another and well......

quite tidy up there..

all the suspension running gear is off and blasted, being painted black today.... shouldnt have blasted it on the barrow though Approve

bought a new few tank the other day, got that blasted which showed up some weeping so that is being sorted out today, got a bloke welding in some patches today, it is a diesel tank but i still think he is a brave guy Confused.

while that was being blasted the guy blasted my bed to see what is lurking.

i hate this load bed Broken Heart oh well lets look for another repair pannel now.....

oh well on a good note got my paint the other day and some wheels for it and my seats!!  ...just need to get this bed done and i can move onto the fun stuff. 
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 17:50
looks familiar! my beds foobar'd aswell! guna take off the bed to leave the rails underneath,then i'm guna sort the rails and lay down some tanalised slats over them for the time being until winters over and tackle it propperly next summer if we get one!?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 19:02
yeah it really is shit, i think it would be easier if i just did the same and replaced the whole bed but i have got about half of it done so i may as well just plod on........but i guess its better than getting it done and then it rotting out 6 months down the line i guess....... and haha your funny !! summer!! 
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 20:49
i was thinking more down the lines of alu chequer plate over the whole floor and up the bulkhead as i can get metric sizes to cover most of the width in one sheet! (and a nice press-brake at work to fold the front up)

nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 12 at 21:00
yeah i was thinking about somthing like that, but like one of the first things that is asked when they are sold is whats the bed like? and if it aint that carougated shit then it puts alot of people off.... i am just getting mine welded up, stone chip it then doing that wood proppa and sealing it in so the water cannot get underneath because the bed aint really that straight, its abit wavey  in places not really good enough for black. 

Edited by nicko868 - 26 Jun 12 at 21:01
nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 20:09
well been a bit slack latley really just been sourcing bits, had to find a new fuel tank as we couldnt save it Cry ..... found some more bed repair that should get her early next week... vatcaned the bed just to keep the rust off.

got my running gear all sprayed

got my front struts all built up, running gti discs and pads just spraying the calipers at the moment

i have got alot of play in the top mount of the strut even though the nylock is tight, should this go between the top mount and the top of coil over ?

if not it may be a case of new top mounts ..... another thing to add to the list.

i was chatting to my brother about the rifle shells he keeps on his window sill

saying how i had seen them made into dust caps, well when i got home from work at the weekend he gave me these which he had made

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 20:56
thats the spring retainer for the top. not used on the coilovers chap! bearings may have gone in your top mounts if they wiggle around a lot. if they move just a little thats norm. can you take a pick of your beam for me? just the relocated leaf plates! how thick off the beam are you now?

nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 21:12
yeah i wasnt sure if it was used or not, cheers. i have just had the top mounts off and had a look at the bearings and they are moving up and down and all directions so i have poped them out will nip to gsf tommorow and see if they have anything.

i will go and take a picture now :)
nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 12 at 21:29
rowlesy :
i bought these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150823935228
so i could keep the original saddles on incase any future owners wanted to flip back.... plus i cba with cutting them and re aligning them.

they also center the axle back by using the offset hole, this means though that you have to get the oxy plant out and elongate the hole in the plate

as for height i havnt bothered with blocks but you can add up to about 2 1/2 inch blocks in to get it lower but i think this will be easily low enough for me should see about a 4 inch drop

nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 12 at 22:31
well its been quite a while since my last update and things aint really changed that much, just got back from working security down the oylmpics so i have a couple of quid in me pocket for the caddy Big smile

my last statement of " that should be about it for rust" was pretty wrong

bed repair section arived

damn straight Smile thought the best and easiest thing to do would be cut the whole peice out rather than doing little patches ..

got it cleaned up and the new peice in pretty problem free ..

just needs the welds grinding off and tidying up Big smile

brake lines made up for the rear axle so that is sorted, going to go back as far as the compensator valve but the rest are good past there....

also got a few more bits of rot cut out ..

drivers side cill

front arch and rear arch need a peice letting in ..

both sides of the chassis above the bumpstops were rotten so have been cut out, got one peice made up and welded in but forgot to get the pictures taken Approve

but for the welding on the underside i think there is about 5/6 more bits to do then it can go back on its feet Thumbs Up .... more problems than i was sold it as though Angry

also got the heart for it sorted out 1.6 gtd and a 4T gear box to go in ...needs assesmbing though, will get some photos up! 
nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 13:47
well just had a go at diy clearing my rear lights

turned out okay but the clear was abit of a dull greeny colour so i tried tinting them .... oops

turned out too dark so i took them off using thinners

re did it, it looked okay whilst wet but then went like orange peel.... so i am not too keep on them :/ .. might just thinner them off and just polish them clear .. not sure yet.

also toying with the idea of fitting one of my gte dashes into it -

this is one i did for my T3 
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 20:10
looking good fella! must do something to mine soon! just rear inner arches to sort and than onto the rear beam! its sat on the floor at the moment and theres about 100m to the rear valance! does look good that low tho! banded rims sit in the arches perfect!

nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 12 at 22:01
thank you man, i wish i could just get it back on its wheels though as i am getting fed up of finding rust now thpugh haha !!!! and i bet it dose look good are you gonna get it perminetly that low ? or air bags ;)? ......i love banded wheels did you make yours then ? 
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 12 at 16:44
bands came off ed38 pretty cheap but had to put tyres on fronts! and hopefully a nice static drop as i aint chucking money at air systems! we'll see though as i have lots to do.........

nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 12 at 12:55
fair enough, i have settled for some p slots although i would love to find some wheels with abit of dish ..... yeah i can see where your coming from with air it dose seem alot of hastle to put together as well . 
nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 12 at 10:00
bit more welding done.... found abit more that needs doing, sake!

chassis bit repaired (covered in sand inthe photo from when we sandblasted another bad bit .. )

poking around abit found this

which turned into this

and then into this

went abit further down found the spring hanger was rotten and the sill either side of it .. no pictures of it bad but got the sill peice in

just need to make up the spring hanger for it .

so decided to see if there was any more and lo and behold

the other arch was the same (hole was plugged up with duct tape and filler, proppa bodge!!! )

spring hanger

and more sill under it

great lets have abit more welding done on it then! ..
nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 12 at 19:22
bit of an up date not much though ..

spring hanger sorted

sill sorted :)

front arch sorted

engine out ...

back down the right way up so we can finish grinding the bed and do the n/s rear arch and the inner sill divers side before it gets fliped the other way to sort the last couple of bits out ... happy to see the clutch cable bit in the bulk head was solid !! gotta have abit of good luck i guess....

well thats what i thought

put the tyre in the wrong place when we rolled it AngryClap

oh well will learn next time !

its looking abit sorry for its self at the moment stripped the grill out lights , spoiler ect. and been playing with the new engine abit ... more pictures to follow :)

just leave you with a picture of some of the stuff we have found in it Dead

Edited by nicko868 - 02 Oct 12 at 19:23
nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 12 at 16:10
just a little up date, finished all the wealding in the bed, just needs re blasting and a skim of filler but that will come in the body work part ..

fliped the caddy the other way to get at the bits that needed welding that i couldnt get too ( was more careful this time but i will be anxious for dents when rolling it back)
any way what needs doing this time ...

other chassis rail ..

jacking bit

above the rear spring hanger

new frontspring hanger in need of being fabed ..

vew down the rear arch at present .

peice tacked up

b post support tacked in

finished that peice.

dad decided to leave his mark :D ..

been cleaning my engine up ready for the block to be sprayed

my shelf of parts to re assemble ..

pump off ready to take to reg :)

searching round for the tdc mark for timing the crank and i think i got it but is this it....

the grove between the two bolts, confused me abit as i have not seen a flywheel clutch set up like this before ..

and just stripped off me seats ready for making me bench seat frame up :)

nicko868 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 12 at 23:13
small update just mainly more welding and cutting

that sill all welded up just need filling and priming properly

decided to cut the other side out properly and do it right as there was a patch bodged in there oh well more work....carnt be much more

bit more to do on the back and then a skim of filler all sorted.

scrap pile is growing.

back axle all built up and ready to go back on.

spent abit of time on the engine bit more to clean up and paint yet though :)

called in at reg's on the way to cornwall last week and got my pump modded, got it cleaned up abit today looks almost new Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>