The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manic rear wipers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manic rear wipers
    Posted: 15 Jan 17 at 14:21
I was feeling good after my success with glow plug replacement so went for a drive. As soon as I started the engine the rear wipers started working but the near side one was going continuously and the off side one was intermittent. They won't turn off. Anybody have a clue to what's going on.

ps I have a 2007 T5 Kombi.
Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 17 at 22:05
Weird one.  Some part of me actually admires a fault that can make one rear wiper behave differently from the other!  Is this a new thing though?  If you have had any earth connections off during the glow plug change I'd start there and make sure you haven't left anything unplugged.  Otherwise google the J519 unit behind the dash on the drivers side.  I didn't think it had control of the rear wipers but it's possible.  If you google it you will find the problems it causes with front wipers. 

You could simply try disconnecting the battery overnight and see if that fixes the confusion of any controller involved.

2004 2.5 174
old age traveller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 17 at 10:12
My elsawin says J393 controls the rear wipers. I used a cheapo code reader but only one code (sporadic low voltage at battery), which has been on for a while, is showing.
For the moment I have taken out the fuse for the rear wipers and they have stopped.
The J393 unit is below drivers seat and I have been told that dampness may be affecting it. Another possibility suggested is corrosion in the wiper motor connections but this seems unlikely as both motors will need to be affected. The van has been sitting for a few days with the rear doors facing the driving rain so this may be a possibility.
I intend to pull the plugs at the CCM and clean and dry them and see what happens.
I am wondering if I should disconnect the battery before doing this but lots of posts in online forums have tales of woe when messing with the electrics on these complex systems.
Anyway I will try this before looking at the motors.
Mechanically challenged.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 17 at 12:55
From what you said I'd be suspicious of water causing some kind of short circuit in/around the rear doors after being exposed to rain.

The only problem I've had when disconnecting the battery on my T5 is I to get the one-touch function to work I needed to re-calibrate the electric window winder sensing by continuing to hold the up and down buttons for several seconds after each window is at the top and bottom.

Edited by gregozedobe - 16 Jan 17 at 12:56
old age traveller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 17 at 18:58
Spot on. I cleaned the contacts on the motor plug,then sprayed contact cleaner all over and then put on plenty of wd40. The wipers are now behaving themselves.
That is two tasks that I managed to bring to a successful conclusion, maybe I will get the hang of this mechanical stuff.

Cheers
Mechanically challenged.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 17 at 19:32
Good result Thumbs Up  Did you clean both motor plugs?  That seems odd that two would fail at the same time.

That box under the seat (J393) is otherwise know as the Central Convenience unit or Cent Conv when you are looking for it via VCDS diagnostics.  It mostly looks after windows and locks but it does have other functions.  You will need to re-sync the remotes if you replace it.  I used to do a lot of windsurfing years ago and it did seem to be a more common fault amongst water users.  Fingers crossed yours stays/is now fixed.  Smile

Edited by T5 TDI - 23 Jan 19 at 10:31
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply