The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT89 Project starts........about time too

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 14 at 05:43
Originally posted by roundandsquare roundandsquare wrote:

"Quite enjoying this"??????

You must be as twisted as I am.  Looks Like we're simultaneously enjoying the fun of LT rust surgery.  Good work though.  I'm sure it'll be worth it. Keep it up.....  good show.......   don't give up.......  nearly there.......   The next bit can't be as bad.........   Wacko

Pictures or it did not happen, roundandsquareWink

Edit: Found them.Clown

Edited by LTCamper89 - 01 Jul 14 at 05:45
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 14 at 20:26
A break from the electrical demons today, and actually worthwhile.

Last weekend I made a crappy job of the bending jig since I was in a rush to do it. It is strong enough and stable and I enjoyed doing it. I think I would have been happier if I had done it 'properly'. It took ages, relatively speaking, balancing corners on corners is not easy.

Today I continued with the 'making holes in the floor bigger' philosophy.

I am not sure that the intermediate panel I cut out which capped the chassis member, is an original part. All the floor panels sit on the chassis rails and cross members, and yet this small panel lift the area by 1-1.5mm, for no reason I can see. I am not replacing it. Edit: Due to the desperate state of this area, I believed that the panel on top of the chassis rail was added to repair this section by an earlier owner. The panel does not appear either as a separate or combined part in VAGCat. It is however a chassis rail plate, and there needs to be replaced or repaired.

Once all the crud was removed a huge rusty blister was visible. This is in the centre of the forward leaf mount, another area of trapped water festering away for years. The other thing I found, though frankly I had 'seen' it every time I was looking up from below the floor, was the main chassis rails are not one piece, but split down the underside. A lovely place for water to enter. Wire brushing the loose bits out and applied Vactan to all the rusty bits. I used a syringe to force it into the joint with the bulls' egg mount below.

Within the scrap bits I decided to use a piece I had cut to fill a small section, it had the rib pressed and it just need shortening to suit. Enter the favourite tools, a big hammer and something metal to squash the work against. A bit of cutting, hammering and gratuitous foot shot, there we are.

Tacked in, and the holes filled and some of my overenthusiastic cutting scars too. From underneath,happy I was, said Yoda. Welding warped a little bit, but Yoda was still happy with the results. My aim need adjusting, I tend to wander a bit, but my visor is on the lowest setting, so I will try better lighting next time.

For those who would like to enjoy the full on millions of pixels experience, go here.

At this point I stopped to admire my work and wonder what to do next. I have the bending thing, but I will need to do the remaining panel in three sections, or just a flat panel welded through to the chassis rail. My quick side says the latter, but my 'do it properly' side says do it properly with ribs. 

?Any thoughts readers? I am leaning towards the quick, I may even get the other side done tomorrow.

Edited by LTCamper89 - 13 Jul 14 at 19:51
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

tontoe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tontoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 14 at 21:08
The repairs are looking good,your welding is looking good as well.no excuses for missing camperjam next year Chris
LIFE IS JUST A GAME WE PLAY
CAMPERJAM TUG OF WAR TUGGER
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 14 at 21:15
Embarrassed

I know, I know. Nothing this year so far, just hoping to be ready for late September LT1 round-up.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 14 at 20:12
Short day today, but still productive, if that is the correct word for disposing of rusty metalwork.

In my previous post, I said that the plate visible in the second photograph was added later. Incorrect. Due to the desperate state of this area on the OS, I believed that the panel on top of the chassis rail was added to repair this section by an earlier owner. The panel does not appear either as a separate or combined part in VAGCat. It is however a chassis rail plate, and there needs to be replaced or repaired. The NS one is in very good condition, and will only need a small section repairing. Just as well I did not do a flat panel yesterday to finish off the OS.

The panel required is 920/880 x 95 x 2. It is spot-welded at 60mm centres, as far as I can see. Since the floor panels are better on this side it is obvious that the pressings take this extra 2mm thickness into account. There is no rusty carbuncle on the chassis rail inside face where the leaf spring mount is fixed.

Big Pictures here again, including not previously seen details of the pressing shape mentioned above.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 14 at 20:24
After seeing my wobbly welding, I have rather fortuitously come across this welding helmet. Saves me thinking about it.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 14 at 22:20
Well I'll be - there's a forum for everything - mig helmet modding. Whatever next. Front view looks like the pod from 2001: A Space Odyssey!
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 14 at 22:25
Ha! I recently did this to mine, just a small AA torch and a 15 mm pipe clip:

Although I may have to put a little more work into the rest of my Iron Man fancy dress outfit...
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 14 at 06:52
^^^LOLLOL

?Bringing it with you in September?

VW LT Camper not Cramper

lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 14 at 12:20
Great work on the welding front,know what you mean about not been able to see what your doing as i recently did a engineering/welding course. I made a LT  rear/step bumper/ tow bar and although what was almost ideal conditions (in a metalwork w/shop ) But no decent light above  welding bench ! Like the link and also Mat's idea keep up the good work.
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 14 at 21:17
Knew I'd seen that somewhere before...

-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 14 at 21:43
Klaatu barada nikto^^^LOL Technology far ahead of an LT though.

I have had a rummage in the 'garage' and found a couple of deceased wind-up bike lights. Three LEDs each with lenses and push switches.

I have done sod all over the last two days due to appointments, other than break my volume gauge on the regulator. 'Blast and damnation' said I. I went out intending to go to BOC but called in on the chap who had cut my steel sheet a couple of weeks ago. He very kindly loaned me one of his spares and ordered me a replacement at knockdown rates. Top chap, but I have just remembered I did not go and get it. Bugger, not that I have had time to get or use it today.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

roundandsquare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundandsquare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 14 at 14:43

A few days ago you were pondering "quick" vs. "doing it properly"

Personally I'd go for quick but I think that for a van floor, quick and proper can be the same thing.  When I did mine I went berserk with grinders and cut out a very large rectangular hole like this.

undefined

I then got a single sheet of steel and butt welded it in place from above (as previously stated welding underneath rusty old motors is for masochists).  From outside, with the back wheel off I welded the edge of the new sheet to the wheel arch and the side of the chassis and put in a couple of plug welds.  Where the new sheet met ridges I welded it to the high bits first then bashed it down into the troughs and welded these too.

If you've ever worked on a vehicle that some one else has previously bodged up you'll have seen that rust to repairs always propagates from welds so using a single large sheet rather than several small patches means less welds.  It probably isn't as strong as The original but its got ply over the top so I'm sure it'll be ok.

In general the level you go to is a matter of what you want from your project.  If you like working on old motors then why not go all the way.  The bloke on the mig forum seems to have done an astonishing amount of work on a french filth 4 which is simultaneously barmy and brilliant.

On my van I've cut quite a few corners.  There are a few suspect areas that I've cleaned up, treated and painted rather than replacing,  The new panels I've put in aren't perfectly straight, the filler's a bit wavy and the paint work won't be winning any prizes but in two weeks I'll be parked up at a bay on the west of Scotland (can't find the right smiley face to go here, there doesn't seem to be one for slightly smug).

It's easy to get sucked into projects like this.  You feel that having put so much effort into one bit it would let things down not to do the same on the next bit…. and the next bit….  I think that the danger here is the project risks getting bogged down and never finished.  Or, if you've still managed to maintain any kind of relationship with other life forms they start making comments like "I wish you'd occasionally pay as much attention to me as you do to that bloody van/bike/boat/luxury spa project etc…

That's probably enough rambling nonsense from me…  It looks like you're getting on pretty well and the quality of your welding looks really good so keep it up and all that….  The pleasure of having a thing that you've personally put your heart and soul into is pretty hard to beat.

LT35 2.4 diesel (not turbo) hybrid van/camper type thing...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 14 at 15:47
Thanks Steve. I was in the backEmbarrassedyesterday night cutting back the wheelarch aprons which cover the floor and chassis rail, again contemplating the next move. I will have to do the chassis rails properly, that is just a fact, so depending upon my other weekend commitments, they may or may not get done.

I cannot have a 'project' which does not move on demand, at the moment, so although I am also having electrical troubles, it is still going and stopping very nicely. I would love the space, time, facilities to do a proper job, just like everyone I suppose. However, just like a whole lot of people, I do not. 

This is my first time doing this kind of cutty grindy weldy crap, so although I know I can do the floor pressing shape well enough, I have been 'making things' in wood and plastic and sometimes metal all my life, I have decided to go down the route you also chose. Time is a more important parameter at present. I had to put off doing very much except the necessary repair and maintenance jobs previously, and I want to get out and about, probably not fast enough to join you in that bay though.

We shall see what I get done over the weekend.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 14 at 21:51
Looking forward to seeing the van on Sunday Chris. It will hopefully spur me on to get my finger out

Cheers

Allan
1995 LT 35 Self Built Camper 2.4 TDI
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 14 at 22:02
LOL

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 14 at 22:04
LOL

One of my commitments has been cancelled so that will allow a little extra time, and Dearly Beloved has a visitor on Saturday morning so more free time for me. Thumbs Up

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 14 at 21:09
Originally posted by roundandsquare roundandsquare wrote:

I think that the danger here is the project risks getting bogged down and never finished.

Very true. I've been working on a (non-LT) vehicle project for 10 years now (owned for 17!), and around a year ago I made the decision to just get it on the road. Forget the bodywork niceties, that can be sorted once it has an MOT. Forget making patches on the floorpan look identical to the original factory metal - so long as the rust is cut out and the patch well protected, I decided appearance didn't matter.
MOT next week, and I know that getting it on the road will be a huge mojo boost to doing the non-essential work. But it's down to what's possible and gives you the most enjoyment in your own personal situation, but for me I had to draw that line.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 14 at 22:28
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

I had to draw that line.

Mine was an inch up the wheelarches.LOL

A bit more cut than I thought originally, but done now and it just needs filling in.

I have put the camera down somewhere, but I got the two 2mm chassis rail panels done and welded in. I decided to take off the NS plate which was not that bad, it only really needed the front section replacing, but after seeing the state of the OS, I was the right decision. I found some old underguard and painted that onto the underside of the panels before welding them in/on.

Now is the time to laugh at those on this forum with 'little' vans. I was standing upright at my workmate drilling the holes for the puddle welds. Gas bottle, welder, materials tools and timber all around.LOLLOLSince it was raining quite heavily, just as well.

I will find the camera tomorrow and upload the photographs, such as they are.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 14 at 00:21
Tomorrow? Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>