The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT40 mk1 sucking oil into air filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT40 mk1 sucking oil into air filter
    Posted: 12 Apr 18 at 18:48
I noticed a lot of oil being lost. I've removed the air filter and found a lot of oil sucked through, seemingly from the breather valve on top of the engine - I took off the breather and it was full of oil. 

The air filter was filthy inside so I've ordered a new one which I'm waiting for. Could it simply be a clogged air filter? 

Do I need to look at replacing the breather valve as well? I've cleaned out the breather and replaced it and I ran the engine a little while and nothing seems to be coming out of it now - however I think the oil has only been coming out after i've driven 40 miles or so.

How likely is it that it's worn pistons or something more serious?

Any thoughts or comments on this would be much appreciated - I'm not very savvy with any of it and I just want to make sure I diagnose it in the right stages.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 18 at 20:38
Helps if you can add your vehicle details to your signature.
Have a compression test done and record the readings.
Should all be +- 10%, presume this is true for diesels, but the other guys will confirm.
New engine oil & filter is cheap enough so I'd change those, and then see how long it takes to show on the filter. All older engines burn some oil through the breather, but old oil/diluted with fuel can often be thinner, hence changing the oil and see how it is then.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Hydra View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 18 at 20:36
Thanks! 

Not sure how to add a signature with vehicle details, sorry. It's a 1983 LT40 Chassis Cab with 75k on the clock.

Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 18 at 09:55
I can't help with the oil loss problem but to add your vehicle details in your signature go to:
Member control panel
Edit profile
Scroll down to -Signature
Add your details in panel
Scroll down to and click on - Update Profile
Job done! Smile
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 18 at 20:13
I take it it's a non-turbo diesel 2.4?
A little oil getting condensing in the breather is normal apparently on diesels. Some people put an oil catch can to keep the filters from clogging.  Lots of info on-line about this issue so go search the reasons. Normally it's due to too high pressure in the crank case forcing oil out as well.
Please keep us updated with your actions & findings.
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Hydra View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 18 at 19:08
Hi yes it's  2.4D. The problem has appeared suddenly, so I'm hoping an oil and filter change will solve it - I've not had the vehicle long and have no idea when the oil was changed - it's very black and thin.

Those are the first things I'm trying and if I still have problems then I'll fork out for the garage to do a pressure test. I'm hoping it isn't serious piston wearing.
VW LT40 Mk1 1983, 2.4 6 cy;l diesel, 3.5 tonne (downrated from 4t) was Horsebox now Campervan
 Post Reply Post Reply