The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35e Upcycle challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT35e Upcycle challenge
    Posted: 02 Nov 16 at 10:47
Hi All, this is my first post, so go easy.

Bought my LT 35e earlier this year with a plan to MOT her and continue with a rolling resto. Started looking at the earlier conversion - Huntsman Conversion...... Cry Was not the best after I started looking under the covers!

Anyway cutting to the chase, the tin worm was more of a concern, so out came the old conversion, only to find the tin worm was man made (or to be more precise, Huntsman made) all the cuts made to the original van were left untreated...... easy meat for the tin worm!

Once I can figure out how to post a picture or two I'll post them.

If it can't be fixed, I'm not interested!
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 16 at 17:14
SimplesSmile

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/posting-pictures_topic44085.html

More pics the better we will be able to help.

LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 16 at 08:26
" border="" alt="Huntsman interior">
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 16 at 08:28
" border="" alt="Before!">
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 16 at 08:30
After!Cry" border="" alt="After.">
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 16 at 08:31
Untreated channeling!" border="" alt="Tin worm!">
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 16 at 08:37
The whole interior has now been stripped out, this area of untreated channeling was where the shower/toilet,, fridge was..... and this is the worst effected area which will be cut out and repaired. My plan will be to rebuild a whole new interior, with access holes to allow for inspection and the application of a yearly tin worm treatment if required.
Otherwise the camper is a good one with very little welding required - none underneath thankfully.
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 16 at 08:40
The demons that lurk behind the cupboards! Looks nice and usable in the pictures! " border="" alt="!"> 
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 16 at 11:58
Started my sourcing and collecting of parts to continue on my journey. I managed to source the special front bumper bolts from Peter at Alphasud Parts (not sure why the cut and paste label is not visable?)

good comms from Peter, and delivered without any hassle. He did inform me he has a shed load of parts for the LT for sale. Wink 

Edited by Heritage - 11 Dec 16 at 12:01
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 17 at 11:13
Spent a little time on the LT yesterday, more stripping n' more cleaning. stripping out old speaker wiring installed previously! Noted some moisture under the front rubber mat, so out with the mat and , only to find flakes of rust! Cry

Anyhoo, removed all the mats etc, cleaned up the rusty flakes, flooring in good condition thankfully, then went on a rust hunt! Area of suspicion was inside, below the windscreen! WITH NO ACCESS....  

Had a chat with my older brother about my dilemma, only to find out he owned a borescope! So this morning, carried out the inspection with great clarity, to find the areas where the flakes had fallen from, NO real loss of material or penetration thankfully.

Forward plan is to treat all the areas with Dinitrol 3215 cavity treatment, also to drill the A pillars to allow access for the treatment from the top down as the borescope was able to access the A pillars too which showed bare metal.

Onwards and Upwards as they say. Thumbs Up    
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 17 at 13:08
Be very careful using cavity products cos they generally burn really easily, and you can't scrape it off.
Might be fine now, but if you need welding in the future............
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 17 at 16:16
Excellent point Andy..... however if I do nothing to treat the effected area, it will need welding in the future.

This is one of the advantages of the newer camper vans being dipped / galvanised, hidden areas are treated for rust prevention.
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 17 at 19:52
thanks for the heads up that cavity protection products burn really easy Andy. I hadn't thought about that .

Do you know if there are any products that don't burn. Like heritage I was planning to spray hidden areas but as my van is a keeper don't want to store problems up for the future
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 17 at 18:46
It's only my opinion guys, but underseal, shultz etc on the outside is way easier to deal with.
Once you spray inside the box section you cover any rot that exists, and prevent any future treatments from gaining access.
Vactan can be sprayed for example and is way less volatile.

Edited by AndyT - 15 Jan 17 at 18:47

Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 17 at 15:59
Agree with Andy T on the use of Underseal and Shutz..... rust problems are not removed only covered up. (been there, done that)

The Dinitrol cavity treatment ML remains soft and creeps (according to the sales pitch anyway) whereas the afore mentioned hardens off and chips!.

Another product I use is ACF 50 - now this is expensive, BUT does go a long way, I use it on my motorcycle to protect it from the elements (aluminium and salt are not a good team)

I do agree with Andy T on the 'flammable' aspects of most of these products, and the problems it could bring in the future, but as my pint is half full, if I treat the areas to prevent future corrosion, hopefully there will be no need for the welder? Wink  
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 17 at 17:52
More forward progress with the 'Planned Camper' - as noted earlier the previous interior was stripped out, with this done, there were loads of holes left varying from 1/2" to 2" - all cut for various reasons, pipeworks, wiring etc.
I need to weld the floor around the wheel arches, across the chassis - common problem as seen by others, so the mig was brought out of storage, a new bottle of shielding gas bought, plates cut... ready!
However for the small drilled holes I plan to clean the area of paint etc... then utilise caravan technology, and glue the patches into place using Single cab pick upflex 221 (only in non stress / non structural areas)

Onwards and Upwards - want to be using her come the Spring (even just to run around town - as its the only one I have seen in this area)
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 17 at 18:21
Dunno what you paid for gas but there is a deal set up with BOC.
Rental is about £4pm and a refill around £35 for a Y size bottle.
Just ring 0161 9306014 and ask about the volkszone offer.
Plenty of guys on here have taken up the offer since I posted it as it's seriously cheap.
No annual contract so just return the bottle at any time.

Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 17 at 21:43
Got my gas from a local factor, pay the initial one off bottle rental/deposit (which is returned to you when you hand the bottle back), then only for the refills there after. However the BOC deal sounds good too.
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 17 at 07:12
Well thats the first part ordered from Classic Volkswagen in Germany..... lets see how quick their delivery time is Smile
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 17 at 12:48
Order via Brickwerks.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>