The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35 heavy clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwbusbits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT35 heavy clutch
    Posted: 27 Jun 17 at 14:58
hi guys,

i have just bought myself a new toy, its a 95 LT35 2.4 non turbo diesel panelvan.  Were going to motor home it very soon as we have outgrown our T3 to camp in.
The previous owner had stated that the clutch had been replaced within the last 12 months, but it is soooo heavy!
It is so heavy it is uncomfortable to drive and the misses would never be able to use it if she was ever brave enough to get behind the wheel.
This is my first LT so have no idea how its supposed to be, but im guessing it should not be this bad.

Any help or advice appreciated, i have no idea if its mechanical or hydraulic im afraid as not yet looked.

cheers all, si.
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 17 at 12:18
It is mechanical.
It is a commercial vehicle from 1975 originally when men were men and women did not drive.Wink

At the top of the Tech page is a sticky post for the manuals.
All life is there.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 17 at 15:12
I don't think the Clutch in my 87 LT is any heavier than in my T3 2wd or Syncro, or in my T4. And i have newer heard hanne say the clutch is heavy. I think it must be some thing wrong with your clutch.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
vwbusbits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwbusbits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 17 at 18:09
Cheers all, will have to investigate this further I think, time to crack out the tools!
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 17 at 08:20

Try the simple things first, check the cable routing to make sure there is no tight kink/bend that might restrict movement, and take the clutch cable off and check there's easy movement between the inner and outer cables, it could be as simple as the inner cable starting to fray/rust up making free movement between the inner and outer cables difficult and it may be worth checking the pedal has free movement on the shaft as well, any one of these could cause a heavy clutch pedal.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
vwbusbits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vwbusbits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 17 at 16:31
Originally posted by BeJay BeJay wrote:

Try the simple things first, check the cable routing to make sure there is no tight kink/bend that might restrict movement, and take the clutch cable off and check there's easy movement between the inner and outer cables, it could be as simple as the inner cable starting to fray/rust up making free movement between the inner and outer cables difficult and it may be worth checking the pedal has free movement on the shaft as well, any one of these could cause a heavy clutch pedal.

Hi bejay, thanks for all the pointers, very well thought out, so will have a go at that over the weekend I hope.
As soon as I have the clutch sorted I can adjust up the idler pin in the steering and get it back in for an MOT.
 Post Reply Post Reply