The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lt35 camper 1982

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alisam09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lt35 camper 1982
    Posted: 30 Sep 18 at 17:12
Having owned various campers throughout the years I have finally purchased an lt35 camper.  It is registered as 1982.  The guy I bought it from said it has a Perkins engine but the more I read about the truck the more confused I am getting (Not hard I know) as supposedly the Perkins engine was only put into earlier trucks. 
My beloved truck is noisy and slow and, just as well I am a sturdy lass, as no power steering makes for interesting tight turns.
I really want to go touring so am looking for advice. As i have no history with the truck, would it be best for me to have the engine looked at with a view to changing the major parts?
Really - any advice from you wonderful people would be appreciated.  I bought the truck in Ipswich and traveled home to Edinburgh without a hitch  but would really like to look after it so it serves me as long as possible.
Many thanks.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 04:17
Welcome to the forum.
In my view all LT's are slow and noisy but you can add sound insulation on the inside and outside of the engine cover. It will make a huge difference.
Ensuring that the tyre pressures are correct will help with the steering, I run mine a couple of psi high to help.
Performance wise it wouldn't be easy and unless you can do the work yourself expensive.
So long as it's reliable I'd stick with what you have and enjoy the scenery.

Andy
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

alisam09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alisam09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 17:03
Many thanks for replying Andy. I'll take your advice and look at insulation and sound proofing. I will also check the tyre pressure.
Alison
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 18 at 20:29
Take good care of your engine. Parts are not easy to get.
You have 65hp but more torque (152nm) than i have in mine 75hp DW engine (140nm) From model year -78 VW started offering the 2,4 6syl Diesel. I realy dont know why they continued to offer the Perkins engine until they changed to engines leaning 27 degres to the right in November 82.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply