Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLT28 Gearbox/clutch problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT28 Gearbox/clutch problem
    Posted: 22 Aug 07 at 18:30

Hello all,

I own a 1994 VW LT28 Hi Torque six cylinder diesel. Converted into a camper last year by myself. The engine has done approx 64000 miles if the odometer is true.

The problem that has developed is after a long run, 2 or more hours, when the engine gets hot, the gears become very difficult to engage. If I am stuck in a traffic jam or long queue it is very hard to move up or down the box. The gears are fine when the vehicle is cold/normal. Once when I tried to engage 1st there was a horrible clunk from the gearbox, I honestly thought the gearbox had dropped out!!

The gearbox oil level is fine. It has been suggested that oil might be getting onto the clutch plates from a worn seal and causing the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and what can I do to cure it. Any help greatly appreciated.

Poggle.

mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 07 at 21:54
I had the same problem with my box about 3yrs ago had been on a long run like 2hours pulled over to look at map on tickover for about 5mins went to pull away and it was like the box had siezed up forced it into gear and got going and it started working fine again since that i have put Synthetic oil in the box and it still gets a bit stiff on long runs but no where as bad so any clues would be good .

Mike
Poggle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 07 at 12:48

Hello Mike,  seeing as there's only you and me who are unfortunate enough to have this problem, here's what I've done.    I've drained the gearbox oil, and there was no horrible signs of bits of metal in the oil, it was nice and clear.     Friction fighter was poured into the gearbox and then filled up with semi synthetic oil.    Also, I unbolted the four bolts holding the linkage and pulled apart the part of the gear linkage - inside there, there is a small rubber ball with a hole in the middle of it,  this attaches one piece of linkage to the other - this had actually dropped off and was well worn.   I put it back on and then drove the vehicle - the next day I checked it and it had dropped off again.  Ordered a new one from VW £3.00 and fitted this and packed it with grease.   The gear lever is now a helluva lot more positive and you can actually feel the gear changing rather than wondering whether you were in gear.    First gear, I always wondered whether it was in gear, but now you can actually feel the change - this might be worth doing as it's a ten minute job.  When you look at the photo, directly above the four bolts is the bit that goes into the gearbox, then there's a small round bit and a fat round bit that goes onto the linkage, this is the bit you pull apart and inside there is the rubber ball.   Hopefully this info might be of some use to you.

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/Poggle_photos/?action =view&current=GearlinkageVWLT282.4Diesel1994.jpg

spike72 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 07 at 19:28

hi guys ive just bought a lt 28 ex school minibus

havin same prob with gears so will check that out

any good places on the net for parts as need bumpers ect

cheers

Poggle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 07 at 16:25

You could try here, never used them myself though.

http://www.volkswagen-lts-spareparts.co.uk/

Let us know how you get on with the gears.

mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 07 at 18:23
Thanks for the info poggle on that bush not looked at mine yet but the vagcat dont seem to show a bush there another bush that falls to bits and makes the gear stick sloppy is a round ball in the front linkage its inside the bit you can ajust on the main bar that goes to the box also ive used that guy for parts and it took over 2months lots of calls and lots of mails threatening to report him to trading standards to get my parts so be carefull.
Poggle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 07 at 14:45

Hi Mike, that isn't good news about your spare parts hassles. So Spike 72, please be aware.

The plastic ball that I changed I have arrowed in the Tech Sheet that I got from VAG. I think it is marked as number 8 on the sheet

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/Poggle_photos/?action =view&current=VWLT2819942.4linkage.jpg

Is the part you have changed number 14, marked on the tech sheet. As this also looks like it could wear.

mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 07 at 16:21
Ahh thats the part i did i have not got the right one yet as i was on holiday when it tottaly fell to bids i made 1 up out of a plastic ball but it works lol still need to get the right one from vag so on your first pic its of the gearbox is there a ball inside that bit of linkage as it dont show on the vag pics?

Mike
Poggle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 07 at 21:11

Yes there is a small plastic ball inside that bit of linkage on my first photo. It is marked as number 8 on the tech sheet. This is the part I fitted, the part number on my invoice is

Hope this helps.

Poggle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 07 at 13:27

Well after PM chatting to Mike, the ball marked as number 8 on the tech sheet is the front linkage ball. Part number 015311544

The ball required for the rear linkage is, as Mike correctly says not shown on the tech sheet. Is anyone still following this .

The ball that I changed on the rear linkage was marked as number 8 on the tech sheet so it seems that both front and rear linkage balls are the same.

Hope that sorts that out.

Post Reply Post Reply