The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT Gearbox Oil leak - prop shaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT Gearbox Oil leak - prop shaft
    Posted: 25 Jul 10 at 11:20
my van has been standing for a few weeks and I've noticed an oil patch about a foot across.  There is clean oil dripping from where the prop shaft meets the gearbox.

Is this usual on an old LT? 

Can somebody tell me where the gearbox refill is on a 1989 2.4TD?

Edited by F***OWL - 25 Jul 10 at 14:02
'89 LT28 2.4TD Westfalia Florida
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick
'89 Yamaha YFU1W Pro-hauler Quad

The_blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 10 at 06:41
Left hand side about 4 inch up. Big allan nut.

Prop seal is easy if you invest £6 on a propper seal removing tool. It's not like you won't use it again owning a VW Wink 
Moving to Team Talbot :O
F***OWL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 10 at 08:12
THanks for this, can you tell me which tool this is and where I can get it?  Is it a VW tool?
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick

The_blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 10 at 08:55

None VW thing. Available at most auto factors.

Just hook it inside the seal and leaver like a crowbar being carefull not to scratch the metal seat. Mine was realy hard to pull out as i'd had to remove that part of the gear box but having it still attached should make it easier.

Fit the new seal by lubing the outer edge then seat it level and tapping in straight with a bit of wood ontop to stop the seal bending.

Some also say fill the inner groove of the seal with grease.  

Edited by The_blue - 26 Jul 10 at 09:00
F***OWL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 10 at 20:59
just getting around to looking at this, I am assuming I have to remove the plastic/grp cover that shrouds the gearbox/transmission.  It looks as if the cover needs two people to remove it?  Do you know the spec of the oil I will need?  

I'm thinking of replacing the seal later because the leak is slight but I want to top up before I go away
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick

The_blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 11:42

Not got any kind of cover on mine. Just undid the big allan bolt and filled up.

A foot accross puddle isn't my idea of slight. Remember it could be a lot worse while driving. The oil level hradly touches the prop seal when it's not moving. 
F***OWL View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F***OWL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 10 at 11:57
at the weekend I removed the cover, it covered the exhaust silencer and gearbox, needed two to refit this morning.  The oil level was down by less than inch and I think it was only leaking out because I had the front up on blocks.

Needed less than 500ml of oil and a 17mm allen key to remove the plug.

Off to get wet in the Golden Vale, Black Mountains
'89 BMW K75 Flying Brick

Post Reply Post Reply