The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT Florida Vs t4 California

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rederic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT Florida Vs t4 California
    Posted: 09 Oct 18 at 01:11
Hello all –
I’m looking at finding something to tour around Europe for a year or so –
Not sure of the pluses and the minuses –
Gravitating towards an LT 28 or 31 or 35…
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1037925

Any thoughts of the pluses and the minuses -
I guess the LT is a little bit bigger and has a shower…
Not sure about reliability performance etc. etc. any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 18 at 19:53
The T4 California is smaler on the inside than the T3 Westfalia, so it is a smal camper. Fuel consumption is around 8liter/100km. Max speed of a 102hp TDI engine is around 160km/h cruising speed around 125. Stealth camping in citys is easy With the pop-top down. LT: Camping, not Cramping… It is bigger and gives more room inside, you can go stealth camping in citys if you don't cover the Windows and sleep up top. And not to forget, you have a toilet. It is constructed like a Truck, so is quite reliable. Parts are not that esy to get but you wil find them. Best Place to buy parts is Brickwerks, and they ship wery fast. Top speed of a turbo engine is around 125 k/h cruising around 100-110 km/h consumption 10-12 liter/100km Both campers are 480cm long.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
Rederic View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rederic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 18 at 20:11
Thanks!
I can’t believe they’re both the same link…
Considering how much more room in the LT has...
I think if I’m planning on making at my home for a while the LT might be better
Rederic View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rederic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 18 at 20:41
Length 😂 not “link”
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 18 at 20:45
I would say the LT Is way bigger than either of the others, Lt is very robust and very reliable pretty good on fuel to, the one in the link looks like a good one and fair money I would say, shower toilet and lots of extra storage would be very useful when long term traveling
Rederic View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rederic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 18 at 22:13
Thanks for the feedback-
I wonder how long these engines last?
I typically put a BoostGauge/Egt/Boost Controller on any turbodiesels that I have -
I don’t crank the power way up –
But I like to manage my EGT’s with the Boost Controller-
I hear that the transmissions are bulletproof.
I’m guessing that means I can I had a little bit of power
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 18 at 09:05
engines are pretty bullet proof too, can easy do half a million miles, I don't think many people would wear one out, easy to work on as theres a fair amount of room round them, a friend of my had a recovery truck LT for 10 years or so, never missed a beat. simple old school diesels with zero electronics, could be possibly to boost the turbo a little but the turbos aren't very big to start with and they are old already, tweaking the turbo may reduce its reliability and life. if you want speed a campers not made for it :o
 Post Reply Post Reply