The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 35 gearbox selector bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squarebanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT 35 gearbox selector bearings
    Posted: 06 Jul 10 at 19:01
Hi i have just bought myself an s reg lt35 good condition but  the gearbox seems at fault, heres what it is, when changing gear if i inadvertantly push at the gate(because i am not use to it yet) i get a metal to metal dry bearing noise, in other words when th eengine is at idle with clutch in, i push the gear lever in neutral all the way to the left to the stop, now if i gently push on it there against the stop i get a whining noise like a dry bearing, this tell me (i think ) that it may be the selector bearings on the selector shaft, any one know this or had the same problem because when i am driving it i get the same noise at times when the engine just gets under load ie when letting the clutch out and the same when starting  the engine or turning it off just a noticeable "squeak" for a split second, i am hoping that just the oile levels low as i am getting it checked in the morning, and if the selector shaft is in the top of the box that might explain it.
Alan
SB
Squarebanana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squarebanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 10 at 08:09
Just got my m8 to get underneath and have a look and rear oil seals gone so box is short on oil, does anyone know how easy it is to fit a rear oil seal?

Alan SB
TwoSheds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoSheds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 23:37
Hi Squarebanana

The rear seal can be done in-situ. Your have to drain the oil  ( if you have any ), remove the prop and lever the end seal out ( taking care not to damage the internal bore )  . Plenty of oil on the running edge of the new seal and tap it into place gently ( ideally get a piece of wood and bore a hole slightly larger than the output shaft then you can drive the seal in square ).
Squarebanana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squarebanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 10 at 23:46
thank you  for that
but
just had it to a gearbox mechanic
its not the box i did the top up of oil and it took half a pint
its the spiggot bearing behind the clutch
thank god i didnt fancy buying another box

Alan
SB
 Post Reply Post Reply