The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 35 Gear Linkage Parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pcracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 13 at 13:38
Update for you all:

Live next door to a VW dealer so did some digging today.

They had in stock the ball (015311544)
7 of the short linkage bushes (282711119) NOTE- the number in the posts above was missing a '1'

The long linkage bush that has been obsolete since June last year is still to be found.  All of the dealers that were supplied with one in the last 12 months that were on the list I got have no longer got them.  Any more suggestions on where to go next?
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 13 at 16:09
Oops, I noticed the missing one but forgot to point it out. Regarding the obsolete bush, I have one brand new one so am thinking of getting a batch made up. Could I have any interest registered in this thread please, so I can get a price based on accurate quantities?

I've tried a few Russian websites which come up with an internet search for the part number, but with no success.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
pcracker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 13 at 16:23
Definitely would like a pair please Smile
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 13 at 18:06
Count me in for two too, Mat.Thumbs Up

Send me the dimensions and I will have a word with some machinists up here too. I used to use three or four, depending on the job.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 13 at 21:22
OK, with the 3 I want for myself (2 spare) that makes 7 so far. The guy I was thinking of using is good mates with my father in law, so may give mate's rates, fingers crossed. But yes, no problems with getting another option.

I'm off on holiday later this week, so will get a rough cost when I get back before I send him the new one as a pattern. Will keep you all informed!
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 13 at 10:01
I'll take two as spares, please.  You know how it is if you don't buy them now in six months you'll need them and kick yourself.
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 13 at 17:48
I'll take a pair 1 small and one large please...............If the prices are within budget I will have 2 pairs......................Why dont you just put kits together and sell em on ebay but with special rates to Brickies Wink
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 13 at 09:44
Originally posted by pcracker pcracker wrote:

7 of the short linkage bushes (282711119)
Robbydoo, seeing as VW still have stock of the short linkage bushes it would almost certainly be better to buy from them. I'd rather just keep things simple and get just one part drawn up! I've sent off the pattern today, so should hear a cost back early next week.

The idea of selling kits is interesting though, it's the sort of thing that someone needs to do although I'm hopeless at making money! I'd feel bad making a profit!

Edited by mat_the_cat - 15 Mar 13 at 09:49
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 13 at 17:04
Yes that's great information regarding the ball i was also previously told the same by a main dealer, and was about to strip down one of my spare gearboxes ! I'm in the process of restoring my lt 55 engine out and front beam axel off to do the king pins so it makes sense to do these at this stage especially as i have the potential to carry over 3 ton and we all know what lt's are like on hill's turbo or not ! thanks very much.SmileSmileSmileWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileClapClapClapStarStarStarStarStar
jimiD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimiD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 13 at 11:38
Hi, new to all this, but thanks for interesting info as  our LT35 is , yes, getting increasingly hard to cahnge gear in, and fairly sure it linkage related....let the investigations begin.
Elaine View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 23:26

Edited by Elaine - 18 Mar 13 at 23:29
Elaine View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 13 at 23:29
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

Originally posted by pcracker pcracker wrote:

7 of the short linkage bushes (282711119)
Robbydoo, seeing as VW still have stock of the short linkage bushes it would almost certainly be better to buy from them. I'd rather just keep things simple and get just one part drawn up! I've sent off the pattern today, so should hear a cost back early next week.

The idea of selling kits is interesting though, it's the sort of thing that someone needs to do although I'm hopeless at making money! I'd feel bad making a profit!

Hi there - oops sorry I meant to include the mat_the_cat quote box thingy

this is music to my ears.  The gears on my 1990 4 gear LT35 feel loose and clunky if you know what I mean?  Getting into reverse is only possible by going into first, moving an inch and then slipping gear into reverse.  Sometimes not possible at all.  The rest feel loose trying to find each gear.

The VW parts dealer I spoke to (v nice bloke) says he thinks I might need part No 14 on the gear diagram, ' a sort of plastic ball that sits in a cup' - that must be the part number Pcracker listed;or I may need to adjust part No 23 (sorry that's the only way I know to describe it).  In the meantime I've just ordered a bush V28271119 in an attempt to cover as many possibilities as I can!

It sounds to me as if my gear problem could be solved with a Mat_the_cat made bush.  Please could you include me in an order, if I'm not too late.  I would like two if possible?

Thanks very much for everyone's posts.  Really helpful.

Cheers Elaine
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 13 at 09:24
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

OK, with the 3 I want for myself (2 spare) that makes 7 so far. The guy I was thinking of using is good mates with my father in law, so may give mate's rates, fingers crossed. But yes, no problems with getting another option.

I'm off on holiday later this week, so will get a rough cost when I get back before I send him the new one as a pattern. Will keep you all informed!
Yes please count me in also Clap
volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 13 at 09:47

Just thought i'd share a tip on setting up the gear linkage for when everyone gets their new bushes.

The procedure for the way the gear linkage is set up in the Haynes manual leaves a lot of room for error.  When you do it you'll notice that the natural play in the gear linkage parts means that the position you set it in could be more or less anywhere in a given area.  It's a very crude way to set up what should be a very fine adjustment.

What I did was set it up the way it is in the Haynes manual.  Then I moved it a few mm and tried the van up the road to see if the gear change was any better or worse.  It's trial and error moving it slightly one way or another and trying the van between each alteration to see if the gear change is any better or worse.  It does take quite a bit of time and patience but I found that it made a big difference in the gear change.  Mine went from being terrible to being good, for a 24 year old van!

It's a bit difficult to explain but once you read through the Haynes manual setting up procedure the above will make more sense. 

1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 13 at 11:13
?Gear change party anyone? Beer I do not have a garage big enough or a street empty enough but there are some big empty carparks nearbyWink, and we have awningsThumbs Up

I have just read Haynes, and I am sure it must be easier than it sounds, and easier again after doing it once.

My reverse is getting a bit awkward again.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 13 at 13:53
Once I get a price (should be this week) I will post up on this thread - then will ask people for certain whether they are still interested. Watch this space!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 12:06
Just to keep you informed, he's going to make one as a sample first of all which should be with me by the end of the week, together with a price for multiples. Assuming I'm happy with the part I'll let you know what the price will be. If it's not too dear I'll probably get a reasonable amount extra made up, as there's bound to be more interest in the future.
pcracker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 12:41
Thanks in advance for all your hard work Smile
jimiD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimiD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 20:34
yes indeed, there is some very usefull work being done here, very grateful! Fairly sure i will need bushes as lokking at  linkage tomorrow, will follow thread an see how 'production' is going - again, much appreciated.  
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 13 at 22:59
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum

Edited by madra - 25 Mar 18 at 22:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>