The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lt 28 D 24 tic engine help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lt 28 D 24 tic engine help
    Posted: 25 Sep 16 at 21:06
Hello

My name is David, I'm new to the forum. I need some help please. Had some trouble with my engine, the 2.4 6 cylinder turbo diesel. The water pump seized and jumped the timimg belt off. Bent valves and snapped the camshaft.
Got engine striped and most parts but it also broke one of the camshaft bearing cap's. Where can I get a replacement ? Tried local scrap yards but no luck.
Any help would be much appreciated.

The engine by the way is in a boat but originated in a lt28 horsebox.

Thanks David
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 16 at 07:22

it's the same engine that was in the 80's 90's volvo 740 and 940 series diesels, may be worth trying a volvo dealer or checking scrapyards for those motors. 
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 16 at 09:18
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinzgauer-diesel-cylinder-head-24-months-warranty-/201675471395

Not cheap but considering your damage may be the best option......

Also I believe the camshaft caps are line bored to the head, just fitting another cap will cause you massive problems and you'll be back to a pile of mangled metal.....

Edited by robbydoo - 27 Sep 16 at 09:24
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Dave83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 16 at 16:02
Originally posted by BeJay BeJay wrote:

it's the same engine that was in the 80's 90's volvo 740 and 940 series diesels, may be worth trying a volvo dealer or checking scrapyards for those motors. 

Hello

Thank you for your reply. I thought this maybe the same engine, now you have confirmed it.
Dave83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 16 at 16:04
Originally posted by robbydoo robbydoo wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinzgauer-diesel-cylinder-head-24-months-warranty-/201675471395

Also I believe the camshaft caps are line bored to the head, just fitting another cap will cause you massive problems and you'll be back to a pile of mangled metal.....

Thanks for the reply. Yes a bit expensive and that was my worry that one replacement cap wouldn't be suitable. Might be better for me to try source a complete engine.

David
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 16 at 16:30
Originally posted by Dave83 Dave83 wrote:

Originally posted by robbydoo robbydoo wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes a bit expensive and that was my worry that one replacement cap wouldn't be suitable. Might be better for me to try source a complete engine.

David

Look down the page for a post by Simon Davey....
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
 Post Reply Post Reply