The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 2.4 TD Oil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT 2.4 TD Oil?
    Posted: 06 Mar 13 at 23:27

Just wondering what oil everyone's using in their TD LT's.

Just changed the oil in the Florida for semi syn 10-40, and I ahve to say I don't think it likes it.

Just doesn't seem 'right'.

Edited by Chappy - 06 Mar 13 at 23:28
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
floridaboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floridaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 13 at 07:23
Me too, what's the best oil?
1990 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 13 at 07:48
I'm thinking about moving to 15/40 mineral.

Anyone else ?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 13 at 07:51
Pretty sure vw Cardiff use blue quantum chap, mineral oil 15 40. I'll check as I head out shortly
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 13 at 07:51
I would like to know about recommended gearbox, diff oils too. 

My first diesel, after petrol 4T/2T so it is all new to me too.

?Perhaps a Sticky some time?
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
CHRISC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHRISC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 13 at 18:04
Got to be 15 40 or go for the thicker 20 50 bet for older engines
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 13 at 19:09
15/40 ordered !!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 13 at 20:46
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

I would like to know about recommended gearbox, diff oils too. 

Manual gearbox - GL4
Final Drive - GL5

Found it in my German Florrie manual, once I'd worked out the translation. Big smile

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 13 at 00:36
There won't be any viscosity difference when hot between 10w40 oil and 15w40 oil; the latter will just be a little thicker when cold. Can you define why it doesn't feel right?
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 13 at 01:32
think you'll find mat that it's the difference between semi synth and mineral that is the biggest factor, older engines don't seem to like synthetic or semi synth for some reason, I put it down to the fact that the original engineering tolerances are bigger on older engines and they were designed to run on mineral oils, and as you say 15/40 is that bit thicker at start up (cold) so will keep it quieter. 

Edited by BeJay - 11 Mar 13 at 01:34
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 13 at 15:57
I've often heard this, but haven't personally noted any difference between mineral and synthetics of the same viscosity (although synthetics and semi synthetics tend to be thinner). I'm just interested to know why it doesn't feel right, as both oils are within the VW specified viscosity range IIRC, and semi synthetic oils were certainly used at the time of production (although maybe not at the time of engine design?)

I know that seal and in some cases bearing materials in very old engines deteriorate when modern oils are used, but we're not talking that far back for the Mk1 LT...
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 13 at 21:55
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

There won't be any viscosity difference when hot between 10w40 oil and 15w40 oil; the latter will just be a little thicker when cold. Can you define why it doesn't feel right?

Yep, you're spot on about the hot viscosity, and the fact (lower down) that both oils are within the spec for the van - I had a good look through the manual. 10w-40 is recommended for climate range of -22 deg C to +15 deg C  and 15w-40 for -15 deg C to +33 Deg C (not much chance of that round here though) LOL

Cold running is the problem really. It's never sounded particularly harmonious on start-up and when warming up, but with 10w-40 in it, it sounds just plain frightening.

When it's warmed up it runs like a peach, smooth, quiet and pulls like a train.  Since putting the mineral 15w-40 in, it's like that on start up and warm up too.

I don't know enough about it to understand why, but it just sounds, feels and runs so much better.

We had something similar with the T3.  I put GL5 in the gearbox and it was horrible.  Graunchy, noisy and terrible to get gears quickly.

Drained and put GL4 into it and it was mechanical peace and love again Big smile

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 09:32
Glad it's running more happily now, although it's still a puzzle as to why in my mind! The 15w40 oil will have the same viscosity as the 10w40 at some point during warm up, and both oils will be significantly thinner when hot so I'd expect any problems from too thin an oil to be magnified then. But anyway, the important thing is that it's running better, I just wished I knew more to understand why.

With the gearbox oil, GL-5 is designed for applications having higher loading and more sliding contact (such as axles where the drive changes direction) so is more slippery. That actually works against you in a gearbox, where the synchromesh cones need a bit of friction to work correctly.
traversd View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
backlit splinter sack!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traversd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 10:27
Rowlesy had an issue like this where he chucked Semi synth in after an oil and filter change and it sounded like a bag of spanners. replaced with mineral all well. 

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/oil-change-woes_topic74145.html
Vanfest 2011 - Skittles Vodka
Camperjam 2011 tug n chug team
Camperjam 2013 - Lost to the Bodybuilders, but delivered in a Syncro
Tough Mudder - Fried Piggy For - Charity

So, Rae is a girl then yeah.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 11:19
Interesting stuff, but in the case of the link he changed the oil type, viscosity, (and possibly oil grade) AND the filter so it's still possible it wasn't semi synthetic to blame. FWIW I've never noticed any perceivable difference hot or cold between 10w40 SS, 15w40 and 15w50 mineral in my ACL engine. The fact that others do notice a difference doesn't mean they're wrong and I'm right, but I wonder if it's down to different levels of engine wear? (Although at coming up to 250k miles mine's hardly likely to be factory fresh...)

There's a lot of stuff talked about oil on the internet, some of it repeated probably 5th or 6th hand so it's good to hear from someone with direct 1st hand experience of the issue! Sorry to sound anal on this but my background is partly investigative so it bugs me when I can't see a reason why Confused
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 13 at 11:33
My t4 westy 2.5tdi sounded plain nasty on semi synth, changed back to mineral same grade and it was much much quieter. Both vw oils both allegedly suitable. I think the synth oils are too thin..
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 13 at 09:27

I was chatting to a chap in the car parts shop last time I bought some oil.  He pointed to four oils up on the shelf (all fully synthetic, I think) and he said they were all the same grade but if you didn't put the correct one in the right car it would kill the engine(which I didn't know, lucky i'm to poor to own a modern car!).  Something to do with the additivies in it, perhaps it's along the same lines?

1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
 Post Reply Post Reply