The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 2.0 Petrol - Oil in carb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT 2.0 Petrol - Oil in carb
    Posted: 06 Nov 10 at 20:42
Hi all,

I am getting oil drawn into the carb from the crankcase vent system.

I guess the oil seperator is not doing its job.

Has anyone else come across this problem and if so how did you cure it.

I have checked the Haynes manual but it doesn't cover much on it.

I am wondering if the oil seperator is easily removeable and could be cleaned out or something.

Have attached a pic: red circle - oil seperator ?   Regards, Colm

1979 LT 35, 1984 cc Petrol Panel Van
1989 T3, 1.9 Diesel (1Y) Tin Top converted panel van
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 10 at 14:59
Had a look at the engine manual and its not in there either.
Not sure if cleaning would help, as I think the usual problem is with them getting blocked.
A search on vagcat.com might tell you if the part is available, if it is then its obviously removeable but no idea how. Deffo wouldn't try unless I could get the new part first.

You could try an in-line separator in the pipe to reduce the amount of oil, problem would be finding one of the correct diameter.
Unless its causing running problems though I wouldn't worry, excess crankcase pressure isn't a problem if its vented so long as the engine isn't smoking.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

gog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 10 at 17:35
Thanks for the reply Andy,

I just had a look on vagcat and the part is available, so I will head to the local VW dealer and see if they can order it and also if they know how to remove it etc.

It is causing problems as the oil is getting in the carb and hence engine not running very well when cold, no smoke from exhaust do, so presume very little oil getting through.

Had this problem before and cleaned out the carb and all the pipes from the oil seperator upwards, then the van ran fine, that was few thousand miles ago, now the oil is making it's way back again.

Guess if all else fails, I can just keep the pipe from the oil seperator disconnected from the air intake.

1979 LT 35, 1984 cc Petrol Panel Van
1989 T3, 1.9 Diesel (1Y) Tin Top converted panel van
 Post Reply Post Reply