The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lowering- the alternative method

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowering- the alternative method
    Posted: 14 Nov 09 at 17:43
I got mine lowered by 50mm this week.  Looks pretty cool I'm sure you'll agree. 

Half a tonne of prime Scottish oak, twelve bags of pig feed and the usual tools and shite that's in the back of the van.  Much easier than changing the springs! LOL

Seriously though, this is an average load for me and there is still plenty of suspension travel left.  The oak doesn't look much but that's 20 cubic feet which is half a tonne, give or take.  It's often piled up above the deck height so I'm guessing a carry well over a tonne at times.  Performance is still solid but the brakes get a bit scary.  And driving up hill out of a wet, grassy, muddy field with FWD is not that easy - this is what I had to do with this oak as it was in a farm barn.  

Edited by Ex-car bloke - 14 Nov 09 at 17:47
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
mildu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mildu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 09 at 18:00
FunnyLOL

Apart from aesthetics, I dunno why anyone would want to lower their suspension!

Mine drives very well and I get some good speed up on the country lanes....feels very planted.
'57 130 T30
hobbit View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 09 at 19:17

Did the same on my t3 last week...

Fifteen 3x2 concrete flags,looked pretty cool but handled like a pig on ice skatesLOL

What you using the oak for??

Edited by hobbit - 14 Nov 09 at 19:20
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 09 at 20:13
Originally posted by hobbit hobbit wrote:

What you using the oak for??

Bespoke furniture.  Getting a lot of commissions for outdoor stuff hence the big thick planks.

Edited by Ex-car bloke - 14 Nov 09 at 20:18
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
marksabs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 09 at 20:28
Nice! You just can't beat the versatility of the transporter - work vehicle in the week and camper at the weekend. You wouldn't get all that lot into a coach built!

Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 09 at 13:24

I had 300,000 A5 fold out menus in mine recently not sure of the weight but I went straight to the nearest petrol station and pumped the tyres up as they where bulging quite worryingly. I was glad to get the first 90,000 off  but the van seemed fine on the road a lot less road noise

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Priory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 10 at 16:48
I had Travis perkins put one of there 1 ton bags of gravel in the side door with there fork lift ! couldnt get it in back due to Tail gate. Luckily at home i could park up and shovel it straight into place.
 Post Reply Post Reply