The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Losing coolant somewhere!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 17 at 19:53
Yes some will evaporate but if the driver has been topping up constantly it can't evaporate because it gets trapped under the oil as in the pic above.

'If it ain't broke don't fix it'  That's a bit rich coming from you isn't it? Tongue

Edited by T5 TDI - 07 Jan 17 at 21:42
2004 2.5 174
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 17 at 22:35
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Yes some will evaporate but if the driver has been topping up constantly it can't evaporate because it gets trapped under the oil as in the pic above.

'If it ain't broke don't fix it'  That's a bit rich coming from you isn't it? Tongue

Normally gets repaired when it's broke which is most of the time. Oh yes I haven't replaced the thermostat either    currently getting the new head ported as I have leak by on number 4 and it's being a pig to start some mornings, but I think the cracking had spread up through the valves and injector bore..It's not fully broke yet so I'm going to do nothing until it does. The trip to Devon and back might finish it off might need a tow home but that what the RAC are for.
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 17 at 08:11
Just thought I would report.
It's broken.....7L coolant per 250miles and a smell of burning oil. Strip down had highlighted coolant running out the head where it's not supposed to be, between inlet ports 2 and 3 which looks like an oil gallery sealed off with a ball-bearing and down the back of the block.
Head lift which has stretched the head and crack bearing bolts, also broke the rear engine mount as it's stripped out the helicoiled mounting holes.
Injectors have been hammering into the top of the cylinders which have opened up cracks in the combustion areas and spread the cracking from the injector to behind the inlet/exhaust seats, also down to the heat plug.
Bore washed number 5 with blow back into the inlet port via the crack.
Would post some pictures if I can work out how
Water pump is still ok though.
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 17 at 08:14
Originally posted by festa festa wrote:

Just thought I would report.
It's broken.....
Water pump is still ok though.

Glass half full then  .......   Wink  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123