The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long Wheelbase (Shorter Job) LT35

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 14 at 20:47
Trouble is I have to go to work tomorrow, Friday and Saturday Roll on Monday

Cheers

Allan
1995 LT 35 Self Built Camper 2.4 TDI
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 14 at 17:56
Change that, roll on Wednesday. Overtime beckons

Cheers

Allan
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 14 at 21:23
Love this photo. Sledge hammer always handy for jobs like this one! Good work :)
Originally posted by BigAl68 BigAl68 wrote:

-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 14 at 16:22
That's just a little one Timaldiss and that's all it's been used for so far on this build. Comes from my Stock car racing days. Have bigger hammers at home (if required Wink).

Today's bit. Ground down the welds and marked out where the puddle holes are going in the new floor plates.

More soon

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 14 at 20:53
Drilled puddle holes in floor panels

Hopefully, work permitting, I'll get these welded in soon

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up

Edited by BigAl68 - 21 Sep 14 at 00:32
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 15 at 20:27
Can't believe it's been 8 months since I last posted. Went down a couple of times after then but haven't touched the camper since October. A mixture of work, family life, watching the mighty Darlo get promotion, the North Eastern weather and a little bit of couldn't be arsed.

Got the passenger side panel welded all the way round and started tacking the drivers side one. Needs tidying with the grinder.

Also tried to start the engine but no joy. No fuel at the injectors or filter, so not sure whether the fuel pump has packed in or something is wrong with the wiring (the fuel gauge only works very intermittently as well) so will have to take the tank off at a later date and see what's what.

More next week
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 15 at 21:13
I agree Al, apart from the Darlo bit. 

I am on holday, again, this week so WILL get some van stuff done.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 15 at 21:14
I agree Al, apart from the Darlo bit. 

I am on holday, again, this week so WILL get some van stuff done.

Give the pump time to draw the fuel up, it is a long way. You could try the gravity feed approach to test it.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

outtatime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outtatime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 15 at 22:04
Great thread, keeps me motivated to get on with doing mine. Especially when you're having one of those days where it all seems to be against you!

LT28 2.4TD (DV) Camper 'Morgan'(H998 RUM)
LT40 2.4TD (DV) Camper D562 RCY
Discovery 200 TDI
Discovery 300 TDIx3 (Tetley,Lileth & ????)
Skoda Felicia
BMW F650 GS
KTM 200 EXC
Honda Trail 90 (CT90)
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 15 at 22:18
Chris, I had it churning over for 2-3 minutes and not a drop at either the injectors or the filter. Will investigate further. I know it starts when the diesels there. If all else fails I'll put a separate electric pump in line.

Glenn, pleased to hear it. Wifey is waiting very patiently for it to be finished.
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 15 at 15:17
Well today's word is gutted. Tried again to start the camper, no joy. Took the line to the filter off and blew down it. Seemed clear so thought I'd take the tank off. Drained the fuel out and found out the bottom of the tank has a small hole in it - Gutted part 1. Fairly simple to remove the tank, 5 bolts, lower the front end and slide it forward after just pulling the filler pipe out. Somebody previously had had the tank off and bodged the feed pipe back on after it had sheared off. Gutted part 2. That's where the air must have been getting in and causing the diesel to bleed back. Disconnected the electric feed and the rubber hoses from the top.

Just for reference this is what a 1995 float assembly looks like

Tried to get a spare tank from a scrapyard round the corner that's advertised an LT for a couple of months. Got there and found they had crushed it a couple of weeks ago. Gutted part 3. Will try to locate a tank and feeder from elsewhere.

More later (when depends on finding parts)
Speshulbrew View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 15 at 18:22
tough luck mate,sorry to hear it, i,m sure you,ll sort it tho ! regards Jimmy
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 15 at 19:18
Cripes it's Spesh.Thumbs Up

It is always the case Allan, when something goes wrong it is inevitably followed by another couple just to make your day.

?is it repairable? Just a copper pipe.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 15 at 19:35
Cheers Jimmy.

Every thing's repairable Chris, just degrees of difficulty in doing it.

Its just how easy is it to clean such a small area so it can be reattached. I have a couple of ideas. Thinking also about swapping the pipes over so the dodgy one is the return. What do you think? Think I've found a place to repair the tank as well. These things are sent to try us, I reckon.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 15 at 20:15
It looks swaged. Replace the swaged section with a barrel nipple which would allow you to use compression fittings and locknuts.

Guessing really since I have not neede to get at mine yet. I probably will be sometime soon, though. My filler is below floor level and the torturous route the big filler pipe takes means I often take an age filling up. The fuel does not drain fast enough, so keeps stopping the fill. I will be moving it up above floor level.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 15 at 23:17
how you doin LTCamper89? good i hope mate! Be good to see  your van out and about BigAL,me nd the missus keep going past your van when were out walking,looks a bit lonely in the yard ha ha! I,ve got a mk2 LT now,been on converting it ,i,ll put some pics on,i still miss my old van tho lol Smile
BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 15 at 17:56
That sounds like a plan Chris. Looks like I'll be going down that route. Cheers, told you that you are my font of all knowledge. Pleased to see you've started yours again

Where are you doing your van Jimmy. Might have a sneaky peek if I can    

Edited by BigAl68 - 27 May 15 at 17:59
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 15 at 18:39
I got a whole ten minutes done today, before the rain started three hours earlier than forecast.Angry

VW LT Camper not Cramper

BigAl68 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 15 at 18:51
Been there, done that. Isn't the North East weather brilliant. Got the t shirt and fleece .
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speshulbrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 15 at 21:13
Been reversing the van up the alleyway where i live Al, plus been doin a bit down my mates workshop down Bish, call round anytime Al, your always welcome,need to pick ya brains anyway,while im on here ha ha! My vans up for MOT in June,someones mentioned that i have to have it tested class 4 before i submit pictures and a letter to DVLA for change of use, i know you,ve been thru the process,so reckon your the expert lol      spesh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>