The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Load sensing Valve LT35.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Load sensing Valve LT35.
    Posted: 08 Jan 17 at 22:08
Hi All. I have a LT35E LWB panel van still working ( or was ). MOT is just coming up and a health check showed the Load Sensor leaking. Evidently they are now totally not available new , reco or second hand.
   I have heard that there is a repair using new O rings or alternatively it is possible to fit a load sensor from a Ford Transit with an adapter plate.  Has anybody any experience of either of these please. I  love my old van and want to keep it on the road as long as I can.
Cheers.
BobL
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 17 at 20:40
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 17 at 20:42
Also there is/was a chap on German ebay doing a recon service.  Certainly was still doing them last year.  Could be worth a browse.
BobL View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 17 at 06:46
Thanks for the info. Loads of reading here that I could not find on the site. I have found the German repair article and Google has done a translation ( or nearly ), pretty good though. 

I have the unit off, teased the bleed nipple out OK and the large nut off at the back. Ordered up the O rings and now trying to sort out how to get the spring clip out of the plunger, piston end and find some straight threaded M10 grease nipples. Looks like I have committed myself to try a repair.
Try to keep you informed. Don't want the old LT to go the same way as the dinosaurs.
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 17 at 08:44
Good luck.

Use Search>Advanced Search> in the top right.

This has been covered recently and on numerous other occasions but tellytubby has covered the basics.

There is one thread about using a modern unit which requires very little fabrication, a flat plate with some holes.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
BobL View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 17 at 18:20
Operation complete, it wasn't too difficult. Pistons all freed off and new O rings fitted. All seemed to be OK but after a 10 mile journey it is weeping a bit. The German site said the old cup/U seal can  be used again as it rarely leaks. It offered no dimensions or supply routes for a replacement. I therefore reluctantly put the old one back .  I need to find a replacement seal. I intend to ring around tomorrow. Any advice gratefully received. I may have errors in my measuring but I reckon it needs to be 4.5mm thick, 7.5mm I/D ,  fit in a cylinder 14.5 I/D and be OK with brake fluid. 
I realize I should have posted this in Tech, sorry admin. I can move it over if you wish.
BobL View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 17 at 18:32
First port of call was Past Parts at Bury St Edmunds as I know they do  remanufacturing of brake parts. The were prepared to have a look at it. I took it in, they said it was faulty and  they wanted a couple of days to find a seal to fit or have one made up.  It actually took half an hour so I picked it up today, put it on and so far so good. watch this space.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 17 at 12:48
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

geraldus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geraldus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 17 at 14:58
I have same van same problem so keen to follow your efforts, if that's ok.
LT35Sunny
BobL View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 20:10
Hi Geraldus.The van is in for MOT, a  brake check and a stubborn track rod end renewal now.  I have written it all up and if successful I will disclose all. If you are pushing time I will send you all I have so far before it is proven good if you private message me. 
geraldus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geraldus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 17 at 12:17
Thank you Bobi,

There is no rush so whatever you have to share, in your own time will be fine

Geraldus
LT35Sunny
BobL View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 17 at 21:22
Hi All. MOT success today so back on the road again. The valve repair is successful so far. I have it all written down with pictures and is in a word file 250 KB. I have tried pasting it here but the pictures won't show. I will post it with pictures if somebody can tell me how to do it.  ???
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 17 at 12:51
Use the Member Control Panel, top left, to upload images or use a link to Photobucket or similar. there is a limit on image size of 100MB, I think.
There are a couple of tutorials on here too.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

BobL View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 17 at 07:10

Hi All, I have a word file with pictures ( or links to ) ready to share but it won't all go on. Stuck now,  Any ideas?

Edited by BobL - 03 Feb 17 at 07:35
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 17 at 12:25
Pasting the words and uploading the images is the only way to do it.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

BobL View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BobL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 17 at 21:06
.So many hits on this there must be several leaky valves out there. These are the components I used for the repair.

The correct size of O rings needed are stated in the Wabco manual for the valve  and are large piston 2.4 X 13.3mm bore, smaller brass piston  2.4 X 5.3mm bore and the one on the plastic piston is 2.4 X 4.3mm bore.  These are all available online from  WWW.simplybearings.co.uk Bought in packs of 5 and are classed as Nitrile 70.

. The cup seal can be sourced from Past Parts of Bury St Edmunds   http://www.pastparts.co.uk/   Telephone 01284 750729.  Ask for part number S9343.   This is OK using Dot 4 brake fluid; if you use anything else ask their advice as to compatibility. This firm also supplies a perfectly fitting rubber dust boot, part number PPL 17-7553. This company have suggested that they may be prepared to service the valve for you, best to give them a ring.

I will post my notes on how I did the repair when I can find a way of posting it. It may help somebody wanting to try the repair themselves.

Best of luck, it worked for me.

Richard.

earthvisitor View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote earthvisitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 17 at 23:34
Richard, very useful write-up - not least for the part numbers and suppliers details. Many thanks.
geraldus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geraldus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 17 at 19:44
Thank's from Gerald. That will help me get mine serviced I hope. Bobl means people in Welsh. Did you know?
LT35Sunny
BobL View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 17 at 07:04
Hi All, Always my advice on jobs like this especially where brakes are concerned is to get the experts/ professionals to do it like Past Parts  http://www.pastparts.co.uk/. They have magical methods of repairing cylinders if it is  needed. However if like me you are forced through necessity into doing the repair yourself I made  a few  notes that may help you out.  Our mutual friend Tim managed to post them here. 

A further note here. I managed to get the wire snap ring out without damage that holds the main piston in. You may break it getting it out. I took some measurements of it. The wire thickness is 1.05 mm   O/D 15.5mm.  It needs to be that size. A normal circlip does not work as it has to allow the rebated part of the piston to come past it.

I found one on Springmasters that I reckon is the correct one but did not buy it.

Part number RBM 0140      wire  1mm     O/D  15.2mm    I/D  ( bore)  14mm

I measured the cylinder bore at 14.46mm.

Trouble is it has  a minimum order and sold in packs of 50.  But it is a place to start.
Richard.

Edited by BobL - 09 Feb 17 at 07:27
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 18 at 19:33
Apologies for replying to an old thread .

A huge Thank you to others on the forum that have put loads of detail on this topic - it’s really useful .

Just one question on the o ring sizes as I’m just about to order mine as my valve has decided to leak and my LT IS my daily transport .

The simply bearings website gives 2 options for the o rings - outside and inside diameter. Does the sizes of the o rings in the write up of 13.3 , 5.3 and 4.3 refer to the inside diameter ?

Again many thanks for all this detail

Simon

Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>