The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lining my Kombi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lining my Kombi
    Posted: 22 Jan 10 at 10:50
I'm in a real quandry here and really not sure what to do so I figured I'd ask the experts for some advice.  They were all busy so I had to make do with you guys.  Tongue   

Apologies for the long post - I have a lot to get off my chest!

I have a Kombi which has got plywood panels dotted around a metal framework - all standard stuff.   I have insulated behind the panels myself but everything is, as yet, uncarpeted.  I'm trying to figure out the best approach here.   Because mine is a Kombi there are seatbelts fitted into the side panels of the van.   These are significant as at the moment they are needed when I have my removable seats in the back.  They also make removing the small panels where the seatbelts fit difficult - in fact I've yet to figure out how to do that.

Anyway, I definitely want to carpet line my van.  But I want to make sure by doing so I don't cut off any future options for things I want to do to the van.   The options for lining seem to be:

Do it myself.
I can buy some carpet and do it myself.   I think lining the panels will be easy enough.  Lining the metalwork will be harder but I think I can do this.   I'm not sure how I'll handle the seatbelt sections though.   And as I say above I can't permanently remove the seatbelts as I need them when I have the back seats in.  Another issue here is when I have my Reimo roof fitted (hopefully end of Feb) that will be finished off with a carpet and if I do the carpet myself the colour and cloth won't be the same as the roof.   Does that matter?  Maybe not.  The big issue here is if I mess up (I'm not all that practical) then I have spent the money on the carpet, and then I have to pay someone to fix my mess.  This ends up being very expensive.  But I'd get a great buzz out of doing it myself.   The kit to do this myself costs about £200 in broad figures.

Pay a professional to line it.
This means I pay some professional to do this and he does it right.  If he messes up, I get him to sort it.  He has to deal with the worries of the seatbelts and how to carpet around them.  He has (hopefully) lots of experience of this sort of thing and has carpeted Kombis with seatbelts before and knows what he is doing.  Of course this costs more.  About £600 it seems.

Pay a professional to ply line and carpet it.
I could get Country Campers (the people likely to be doing my Reimo Roof) to do a full insulate, ply line and carpet job.  This costs me about £900.  However I have already insulated the van so I might get it cheaper or they might add more insulation to what I have already done.   This approach also lines the van in plywood all over which will improve the general clean lines of the inside of the van.   I don't know what they would do with the seatbelts but I guess they'll deal with that.  They'll also use the same carpet as they finish the roof with meaning I get a nice consistent finish.  I think this will look fantastic and blend in perfectly with the roof.  But it's £900 as compared to £200 to just do it myself.

The future.
In a year or so I am thinking of fitting the Variotech 333 seat system, or something similar.  When I do this, these seats have built in seat belts so that the side belts in the walls of the kombi will no longer be needed.  What do I do when that happens?  If I remove the seat belts then I'll have big holes in the ply/carpet.  Can they be easily patched up?  Maybe, but they might look crap which would be a real shame after spending about £900 getting them done in the first place.  So whatever I do I'd like to come up with a solution which isn't wasting my money and  which my future plans are not going to ruin.

I'm off to see Chris of Country Campers (my local converter) tomorrow to discuss this but I suspect he'll try and talk me into getting the ply lining option as that is most money for him!    But we shall see.

Sorry for the brain dump but I needed to order my thoughts on this!   Has anyone got any advice on what I should do?

Cheers
Blakey
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 10 at 14:49
Blakey,

My first thoughts are to contact the guys who will be doing the roof conversion. If you explain all of the above, I'm sure they will negotiate and may be able to suggest a temporary solution to the seat belt issue until you get the other seat. I'm guessing they'd like to install this for you too, and a tame expert pays dividends in many ways in the future!

In addition, if you're spending some large monies with the roof fitting, I'd consider it essential to match up not only the colours & style, but also the professional fitting. Think about when resale eventually approaches for whatever reason; it's a better option I feel, to produce a receipt showing professional fitting.

I know what you mean about a DIY effort though. Good to do, therapeutic and enjoyable. But ruddy frustrating if you've got fingers like Watford Gap sausages..

Just my two-pennorth

Reverend Steve
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 10 at 16:24
Hey Rev,

Cheers for the response.  Yeah, I hadn't taken resale into account I guess.  A professional finish would make a great deal of difference to the end look of the van and I'm sure it will look amazing if I get them to ply line and carpet it.  However after a few years of being lived in, with bikes and surfboards being thrown in, I wonder if it will still look so great!

I hope my local converter has some spare time tomorrow morning as I've got about three hours of ideas to talk over with him!!!

Will let you know my progress as usual...

Blakey
marksabs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 10 at 22:45
I agree with rev, I think I'd probably get the converters to do it when you get the roof done. Maybe ask them how they'll do the seatbelt bits if you're worried.

If you go the diy route I'd at least consider getting all the bits yourself rather than a kit. Not sure about the carpet kit you mentioned but the carpet I got from carpetright looks the same as all carpet jobs I've seen including the bits that got done by my converters (correct me if I'm wrong anyone). I got 30 quids worth which was easily enough to do all my panels with a lot left over. Wouldn't surprise me if you could do the whole van for 50 quid (though don't take my word on that). Last time I looked it came in light grey and dark grey and they both went together 

My brother in law is a carpet fitter and he gave me standard carpet fitting spray glue. Just spray both surfaces and stick on.

Personally I found the wheel arches a bit tricky and I reckon the other metal bits
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 10 at 06:58
when belts are removed you can get plastic covers for the bolt holes in grey it will also allow you to use these holes in future for fixtures or original seats. WURTH do a huge selection of that kind of thing in loads of colours. 
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
orangina View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 10 at 16:28
Blakey,
you should contact  roadmark89 (see link below) he's on Brick-yard and comes well recommended.
Mark is very happy to offer any advice you may need.

http://www.megavanmats.com/
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 10 at 17:32
Cheers Orangina. 

I have spoken to Mark months ago about this actually and he was very helpful. 

I also went to see Chris of Country Campers with the van (Mark is too far away to actually take the van) and he recons it doesn't need play lining.  That's a bonus.  He also reckons I should get whoever does the roof to line the van at the same time as the carpet that is used to finish the roof can be continued on to the rest of the van.   Makes perfect sense.  So I think that is the route I'll probably take.  

Just need to figure out who is going to be doing the roof and what roof I'm getting now!

Edited by BlackBeltBlakey - 24 Jan 10 at 17:32
 Post Reply Post Reply