Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leisure Battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 14:10
got to agree the wire from the van battery doesn't look  a thick enough gauge?
if your going from front to back of van there's gonna be some voltage/current drop
 where is the fuse and at the   at the end of the heavy duty cable for the leisure battery? and there's 2 meters of that!Shocked

Edited by BANANABUS - 27 Jan 10 at 14:19
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 14:39
Originally posted by BANANABUS BANANABUS wrote:

got to agree the wire from the van battery doesn't look  a thick enough gauge?
if your going from front to back of van there's gonna be some voltage/current drop
 where is the fuse and at the   at the end of the heavy duty cable for the leisure battery? and there's 2 meters of that!Shocked

Good point - something like this could be fitted inline I suppose

Breakers are always better for 2 reasons:
  1. Easier than a fuse to know when it has blown/disconnected
  2. Simply reset it after a fault (no fuse to source/replace)

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 14:58
Nothing is ever simple with you guys is it?  LOL

Okay, I've ordered the SRC kit.  When it comes I'll have a look and see how thick it is in the flesh.   The bloke I spoke to over the phone assured me it was all safe and would work as is.  I'm mostly happy that he's not lying to me... Smile

I'm now wondering why you point me at a nice "all-in-one" piece of kit and then tell me to add extras in?!?!?!  Big smile  You guys!!

Hopefully this thread is proving useful to anyone else thinking of a DIY job where this is concerned.  I promise you, if I ever get this all completed and have done it myself than ANYONE can do it.

PS  I would get my sister to install it as she is WAY more practical than me, but she lives 300 miles away.  My wife on the other hand lives just here....  Smile

Edited by BlackBeltBlakey - 27 Jan 10 at 14:59
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 15:09
Originally posted by BlackBeltBlakey BlackBeltBlakey wrote:

Nothing is ever simple with you guys is it?  LOL

Okay, I've ordered the SRC kit.  When it comes I'll have a look and see how thick it is in the flesh.   The bloke I spoke to over the phone assured me it was all safe and would work as is.  I'm mostly happy that he's not lying to me... Smile

I'm now wondering why you point me at a nice "all-in-one" piece of kit and then tell me to add extras in?!?!?!  Big smile  You guys!!

Hopefully this thread is proving useful to anyone else thinking of a DIY job where this is concerned.  I promise you, if I ever get this all completed and have done it myself than ANYONE can do it.

PS  I would get my sister to install it as she is WAY more practical than me, but she lives 300 miles away.  My wife on the other hand lives just here....  Smile

It is all safe and will work perfectly 99% of the time but if you ever find yourself in that scenario I described earlier then thats when you may hit problems

It will still be safe as it is fused adaquately for the cable size but the problem is that cable/fuse combination may prove to be too small for what its trying to draw when the battery is heavily depleted.

This could prove very frustrating as it is a catch 22, the battery is low so it needs charged, but you cant charge it because it is drawing so much current from being run down so low (keeps blowing fuses/disconnecting from the van battery)

I like to cover every eventuality, anything I do ends up being bomb proof as I am a total overkill merchantLOL

BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 16:10
having 2 meters of cable connected direct to  a battery  unfused!  aint safeConfused ! wonder if they'll supply   a fire extinguisher  instead of a fuse!

why fit a fuse at one end and not the other when power can come from both ends of the circuit.

don't get me wrong like  its a smashing idea .......... just concerns me and i guess the sparkeys out there that  having that much cable with no fuse on it seems a bit worrying

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 16:12
Is it possible the wire is fused inside the consumer unit, but it's just not mentioned?   I expect that's the case??
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 16:13
There's a flipping great big plastic red thing that the leisure battery wires go into.  Isn't that likely to be a fuse or have a fuse in it?

I hope so....
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 16:18

Is it possible the wire is fused inside the consumer unit, but it's just not mentioned?   I expect that's the case??

no good there!  it need to be as close as physically possible to the leisure battery not 2 meters away
 you could get a fuse/holder and wire it in, they do them here  Thumbs Up  http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/ 

BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 16:20

There's a flipping great big plastic red thing that the leisure battery wires go into.  Isn't that likely to be a fuse or have a fuse in it?

I hope so....

lol  there just rubber covers that .......... cover the terminals

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 16:25
Hmmm.  I just called them to ask and they assure me there is no need for a fuse on that side.   He says that a lot of work and thought has gone into the unit and they wouldn't have skimped on a simple fuse if it was needed there.  I can only believe him really, as I have no idea.

I think I'll fit is as is and then sue the pants off him if it fails.   :D

Blakey
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 16:35

He says that a lot of work and thought has gone into the unit

Blakey

obviously not enough!Geek

blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 17:24
big inverters have no inline fuse on supply as there is not one big enough! but they put a bank of 10 x 20 amp blade fuses in the unit instead on the input.
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 17:43
Originally posted by blackvanman blackvanman wrote:

big inverters have no inline fuse on supply as there is not one big enough! but they put a bank of 10 x 20 amp blade fuses in the unit instead on the input.

those are fitted to protected the invertor  from going up in flames

http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/fuses/midi/200a-midi-fuse.html Wink

the concern is that if the 2 meters of cable get chaffed/damaged   then there is no protection

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 17:52

no good there!  it need to be as close as physically possible to the leisure battery not 2 meters away
 you could get a fuse/holder and wire it in, they do them here  Thumbs Up  http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/ 

I doubt very much that there is a fuse inside the box, and, as Banabus says that is not the appropriate place for it anyway

As already said it needs to be close to the positive terminal on the battery

Imagine the + wire from the leisure battery got damaged/cut/screwed through and the cable shorted out to the metalwork of the van - instant dangerous short circuit that could easily result in a fire and/or exploding battery (which happens to be full of acid!)

If it were me, as they are cheap and easy to fit I would have something like this inline for peace of mind if nothing else

BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 17:55
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

If it were me, as they are cheap and easy to fit I would have something like this inline for peace of mind if nothing else

fancy them!  wonder if they are available in the uk ?Clap

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 17:57

fancy them!  wonder if they are available in the uk ?Clap

Dunno, but I am gonna get a 20A version for a little project of my own

Fuses are so last yearLOL

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 18:06

Hmmm.  I just called them to ask and they assure me there is no need for a fuse on that side.   He says that a lot of work and thought has gone into the unit and they wouldn't have skimped on a simple fuse if it was needed there.  I can only believe him really, as I have no idea.

I think I'll fit is as is and then sue the pants off him if it fails.   :D

Blakey

I agree that a lot of work/thought has went into the box and and I reckon its a good product, compact and neat with all the features required

I dont agree though that a fuse on the leisure side is not required, for the reasons I have outlined in my previous post (Fires, exploding batteries full of acid etc etc)

A simple fuse (or similar) would be all thats required to combat this, is it really worth the chance.........?

Edited by energysolutions - 27 Jan 10 at 18:06
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 18:15

I hope so....

Those red connectors look like quick release male/female type couplers for quick removal of the battery. Doubt very much if there`ll be a fuse there either

Odd really if they are quick release couplers as the battery clamps are the quick release type too

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 18:19

Just when I thought it was all sorted... Ermm

Okay, how do I fit this "inline"?  Cut the cable and slot it in the middle?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 10 at 18:25

Just when I thought it was all sorted... Ermm

Okay, how do I fit this "inline"?  Cut the cable and slot it in the middle?

Yeah, cut the red (+) cable close to the battery terminal connector and insert this inline - simples!

The theory is that if you cut it close to the terminal then there wont be enough unfused cable to reach to the negative terminal (-) and short out, thus avoiding a face full of exploding battery fragments/acid and subsequent fireLOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>