The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > The Coachbuilt forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaky Roof, side sills - Holdsworth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaky Roof, side sills - Holdsworth
    Posted: 08 Mar 10 at 18:29
Hi,

Am thinking about digging out the old seals on the side of the high top as my roofs been leaking for sometime...

Was told the old sealant acts more like a sponge with age, does anyone have any experience or advice, tips or tricks about doing this ?

Cheers, Richard
'Nellie' 1.9DG WBX Holdsworth Hightop
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 10 at 19:00
Hi Richard,

I was in a similar position to you. The sealant in the gutters on my '90 hightop had become porous, trapping water and allowing the gutters to start rusting from the inside out. In the end I decided I didn't have the skills to do a proper job myself (I probably could have replaced the sealant, but I wouldn't have been able to remove all the rust and would have, at best, held it back for a couple of years). I bit the bullet and had it done professionally, including media blasting the gutters back to bare metal. Because I had the hightop repainted at the same time, I had the newly sealed gutters painted over the sealant. It doesn't leak any more and the paint provides an extra barrier to moisture ingress.

At the very least I reckon it's worth digging out the old sealant, sorting any lurking rust and bunging in some fresh sealant. Sorry I can't be more help advising you how to do this yourself!

HTH...
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 20:41
how can i get my whole roof off?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 20:47
what roof?
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 20:58
well not tottally sure but i think its a vw high top, glass fiber jobbie
kooldubs View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M STILL HERE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooldubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 21:15
you think its a high top...LOL thats a first....
86 t3 doka & 2001 T4 2.5 TDI
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 21:31
ok ok, it is high, i think its a vw factory one but not sure, poss a riemo coversion to a vw hi roof van?
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 22:46
a pic would help loads....Big smile
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

DavidPallister View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidPallister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 10 at 19:59
The VW roofs are held on pretty well.  I've just removed mine due to leaks (see High top thread) but am NOT planning on refitting it, I'm going to mould myself a new roof (build thread to follow).  To get it off, I dug out the sealant along each gutter, then there's a retaining strip spot welded to the gutters and bent over a flange at the base of the roof.  I bent this up with a big screwdriver on the passenger side, but on the driver's side, it pretty much crumbled to flakey, rusty shit when i touched it Confused.  On the front gutter, i ground the top lip off to release the front roof flange, then on the rear, there's a load of rivets that need drilling out above the tailgate, then starting at the front, we slowly levered it up breaking the sealant as we went until the whole roof came away.  It took 4 of us to lift it off and about 4 hrs work.  As i say, I'm not planning on re-fitting it, so i kinda butchered the mountings, but I'm sure if you plan on refitting it you could carefully bend up all the retaining strips so they can be bent back down again afterward (unless they crumble away like mine did!)

Dave
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 10 at 20:02
ah i see, it feels as if there is some crunchy steel under the sealer, that explains it, looks like i have a bit of a job on my hands there then.....again!

thanks for the info tho,  
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidPallister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 10 at 20:24
No probs, once i've got my build under way, i'll be doing a build thread so you'll be able to see what i faced and what i've done.

Dave
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 10 at 21:04
ok, cool. hoping to tackle mine asap but will be intrested non the less. what sealer you planning on using? a semi stuctural Single cab pick upflex type? know of ant 2 pack options?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidPallister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 10 at 14:15
S I K A flex seems to be the recomended sealant, it's about £10 a tube from cfsnet.co.uk, the place I will be getting my FG supplies from

Dave
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 10 at 18:44
ok, ta
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 10 at 18:45
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

ok, cool. hoping to tackle mine asap but will be intrested non the less. what sealer you planning on using? a semi stuctural Single cab pick upflex type? know of ant 2 pack options?
some one has been playing about it seems!

single pack Single cab pick upflex is what i wrote.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 10 at 18:51
single pack Single cab pick up flex
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 10 at 18:52
why does my post keep getting alterered!!!! single pack, Single cab pick up flex
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 10 at 18:53
very odd!  S I K A FLEX
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidPallister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 10 at 19:02
tiz the swear filter, changes S I K A into single cab pick up, as in SIngle KAbelwagen (or sumat like that) so S I K A flex gets changed into single cab pick upflex

D I B S gets changed into refusal on your fine item good sir Wacko

Just one of them things, although the filter doesn't change any actual swear wordsEmbarrassed

Dave

Edited by DavidPallister - 31 Mar 10 at 19:05
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 10 at 23:32

thank god for that! thought i had gone mental while typing or something!

How well stuck on would you say the roof is one all the old sealer is pulled out of the gutter? just worried im gonna need semtex to get it off the body and might end up damaging it, planning on making just the one new roof? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>