The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Late model T5 problems still exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GymRatZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 19:56
Realistically what's the main "weak point" DMF and Variable Vane Turbo. of which the facelift will have a DMF and I shouldn't wonder if All models except the twin-turbo 175 will also have VVT's so for me there was no argument. End of line model that's had all the recall issues sorted and all the squeeks, leaks & Rattles rectified or a new beast that will no doubt be using the same DMF and VVT of old plus have the inerrant problems of a new model/motor.
It's nice to have a new "old" model as there's a ton of after market stuff already waiting to go. Not to mention re-maps and stuff. (perish the thought)
Wink 
https://www.gymratz.co.uk

Gym Equipment & WaterRower shop
mozicheek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozicheek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 20:39
Don't wish to be a complete mechanical numpty but what is the DMF and what goes wrong with it!!Confused  
T30 2.5
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 20:51
i have to admit, there has been times when i'd wished that i kept my old T4 and just got a new engine for it.  
but it was getting scruffy at 16yrs old and starting to cost in silly repairs. plus if i had gone the new engine route i would be sitting in it for another ten years.

take yourself off to the dealership in your T4 and do a straight comparison. that way you'll know what you want to be sitting in for the foreseeable future.

and if it does break, remember how much better it is to drive than the T4. (softens the pain in the wallet)Smile
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 20:54
Originally posted by mozicheek mozicheek wrote:

Don't wish to be a complete mechanical numpty but what is the DMF and what goes wrong with it!!Confused  

Ahem..coughEmbarrassed
La Brique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote La Brique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 21:24
On the phone with main dealer today discussing a DMF issue & was told the lateast spec DMF was introduced in 01/11/2008 ..............................VW part # 070105266Q
I was going to ask him if this was a LUK or Sachs supplied item but conversation moved onto next subject & my question was lost Ermm

It would be good to gather some feedback on forum to see which DMF proves better in long time reliability terms.

La Brique 
RHD 1988 Single cab pick up Syncro 1.6TD
Was in France, now re-located back to Blighty {near Stamford}
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 21:39
You know, it does have a 'velle front end which makes it look quite modern but the power always let her down (68HP i think). How much you think for a 2.5 TDI with box and how easy would it be to drop into my van? I'm wondering what would need to be changed, maybe downpipe,injection pump cables,hoses blah blah. I'm ranting now. I could respray her for 1k and tadaa..hmm
tdfiver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 21:46
I live up in the Scotish Highlands about 30 miles North of Inverness.

Vans I see around these parts are in the main Transporter T5's. I reckon around 80% are T5's with the rest usual Trannys Mercs etc. Most of the bigger busineses use a VW, of one sort or another.

So, they cannot be all that bad.
getting grumpy now
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 22:15
Originally posted by tdfiver tdfiver wrote:

I live up in the Scotish Highlands about 30 miles North of Inverness.

Vans I see around these parts are in the main Transporter T5's. I reckon around 80% are T5's with the rest usual Trannys Mercs etc. Most of the bigger busineses use a VW, of one sort or another.

So, they cannot be all that bad.

A Merc that close to salty sea air would be like a teabag with rust in a matter of weeks!

Tyres and windows would be all thats left after a few months!LOL

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 22:23
To be honest I thrash mine mainly on mountain roads and still get 30 ish. I find I have to thrash it though and she rarely goes below 2500rpm and quite a dog uphill on the motorways. Looks like theres a lot of wiring issues with putting a 2.5tdi in mine so it's either get another ABL and maybe tune it up a bit.
I'd love to hear of T5 owners who never needed to replace the DMF..do they exist? The other issues don't phase me too much but having to crack your drivetrain in half every 40k is ridiculous, I might as well stick with the T4.
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 22:38
It's funny, this whole DMF thing.  I've been following this forum since the beginning like the vanorak my forum status indicates, and it seems that only in recent months has the DMF issue really come up.

There was a recent thread about a van that had had three clutch assemblies and was being stitched up by their garage and one or two isolated stories but as far as I can gather this is not an "issue" like the clonk or leaky windows.  At least I hope not, as mine is a 174 with 48k miles on it and a slightly juddery clutch. Confused  
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 09 at 22:41
Originally posted by solarboy solarboy wrote:

To be honest I thrash mine mainly on mountain roads and still get 30 ish. I find I have to thrash it though and she rarely goes below 2500rpm and quite a dog uphill on the motorways. Looks like theres a lot of wiring issues with putting a 2.5tdi in mine so it's either get another ABL and maybe tune it up a bit.
I'd love to hear of T5 owners who never needed to replace the DMF..do they exist? The other issues don't phase me too much but having to crack your drivetrain in half every 40k is ridiculous, I might as well stick with the T4.

As others on the forum have said before, these places by nature attract owners with problems ie something breaks and the owner takes a look via Mr Google to see if it is common/what the solution is

Trouble free VWs are out there, my mate has a T5 and has had no trouble despite the fact he could break an anvil - he called me one day to ask if his van was due a service after 40,000 miles!!!

So in conclusion, places like this are great but tend to attract horror stories rather than statements such as "My VW is fantastic, never misses a beat, and Solarboy would be crazy not to get one"

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
mcguyver View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcguyver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 09:31
Originally posted by solarboy solarboy wrote:

You know, it does have a 'velle front end which makes it look quite modern but the power always let her down (68HP i think). How much you think for a 2.5 TDI with box and how easy would it be to drop into my van? I'm wondering what would need to be changed, maybe downpipe,injection pump cables,hoses blah blah. I'm ranting now. I could respray her for 1k and tadaa..hmm

I'm guessing you've got the 2.4 non turbo under the bonnet. I was driving one a few months back, I kept thinking the hand brake was on or a flat tyre or something, it was very slow.

If yours is pre-facelift, you may have a problem fitting a 2.5 Tdi as they made the engine compartment larger on the new model. I always prefered the 1.9 Tdi anyway, but, I think you may have trouble fitting one of those as well.

I'm no expert, though. Why not ask in the brick-yard T4 forum? There may even be someone with a good engine/gearbox for sale.

mac
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 10:46
Just for my own personal clarification, is Borg right here or did he mean DPF
Quote Borg <Also I don't have DMF on mine as they came in later.>
I have a 2004 1.9 T5 and I would be relieved to find it didn`t have a DMF. (or a DPF)
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 10:50
Quote ECB < I do have an intermittent slight clutch judder in 1st/reverse, hopefully not a bad sign...>
                  < mine is a 174 with 48k miles on it and a slightly juddery clutch. >
Not whistling in the dark here are you ECB ? LOL
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 12:03
Originally posted by zedzedeleven zedzedeleven wrote:

Quote ECB < I do have an intermittent slight clutch judder in 1st/reverse, hopefully not a bad sign...>
                  < mine is a 174 with 48k miles on it and a slightly juddery clutch. >
Not whistling in the dark here are you ECB ? LOL

Thats what mine was doing (at 43K,i think) and it was the DMF.
La Brique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote La Brique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 13:17
My 130 Velle is showing simular symtoms as ECB, for me a very slight clutch judder in 1st from cold & a slight judder in reverse more noticable when on an incline. Velle has just reached 50k miles and will be treated to a fresh DMF shortly.

I'm pulling away gently in the lower gears as ECB describes further up the thread, I will have a big sigh of relief once sorted.

Saying all this, I would not swap my Velle for any other van. I just love the way it eats the miles in comfort Smile
RHD 1988 Single cab pick up Syncro 1.6TD
Was in France, now re-located back to Blighty {near Stamford}
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 15:41
Right.  I've now read all the threads on DMFs and looked at all the horrific photos.  Not sure how I missed them first time round, think I was away maybe.

Now I'm really scared.  Like, seriously worried.

And I may completely reconsider my position in defending the T5 as a reliable vehicle. 
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 15:42
Oh, what's the consensus on cost of replacement of DMF/clutch?  £600 all in from an indy?
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 15:54
T4 exhaust fell off today, this decision is getting easier. If I find a 2003 T4 with less than 50k on I'll seriously consider it though.
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 19:30
Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

Oh, what's the consensus on cost of replacement of DMF/clutch?  £600 all in from an indy?

£766.22 including the VAT. that was from mr clutch.
went with them because not only were they the cheapest but it's what they do day in day out so i reckoned they would get it done without hassel and i have fallen out big time with my local garage.

i was going to leave you in ignorant bliss but others have pointed out that your symptoms are known to be DMF issues so it looks like time to prepare. you'll soon fall in love again with the van once the wallet pain subsides.

also i would guess that yours has got a bit of spring wedged in the lobe of the moving side of the flywheel, maybe a bit of rough treatment would help it.

as a footnote. when the spring finally digs it way out, the flywheel sprays the thick metal filing grease round the bell housing and into the starter motor drive gear resulting eventually in a seized starter. another £250 on top of the flywheel job. just to make your dayOuch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>