The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Land rover rack onto vw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Land rover rack onto vw
    Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 11:01
Hi there

Do any of you guys know if I can put a defender rack onto a t3/ T3 the seller said this

(We can advise that the dimensions of the roof rack are 1425mm width by 1560mm length)

It is a very good rack for the money but I can't work out if it might fit.

I have a diagram for the synchro

and it has the wheel arches at 1845 apart and what looks like a measurement for the back window at 1250.

This forum was good to me before can anyone tell me the exactish width measurement I need for racking

thanks for your help
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 20:25
big ole galvanised jobby? 
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Astrid View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 21:16
No, slats and t bar conections looks very similar to ones i have seen on campervan culture for £1000 which I will never be able to afford and I think there's a brand called i think its frontrunner? streamline 2/ that may be wrong cant remember without going back and looking it up.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 21:22
does it bolt to roof bars?

Astrid View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 21:25
no it's complete , so fixes to gutters but defenders might be different width? it's not adjustable, item to far away to go and size it up.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 21:27
the front runner kit looks like its a basket type affair that fits to roof bars? the rack on ebay? pm a link if you like i have a doka and dont need a rack! Thumbs Up

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 21:28
this similar? 

Tim Hamnett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Hamnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 16 at 19:38
Got all excited then. Thought we were talking steering!
PaulSA View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 16 at 20:21
If it is "Front-Runnner" it will fit. I use the Land Rover ones on my T3.

The Legs are adjustable in and out---(you will find that the T3 width tapers to the rear)

Problem is that the legs on the (+/- 230mm) Land-Rover rack make the roofracK sit to high on the T3,
so you will have to buy the shorter legs---170mm (OR 190mm if you want to fit the sliding table between the rack and the roof)

Just find out if you can get the shorter legs before buying--then check that roofrack + new legs is still a worthwhile deal.
PaulSA View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 16 at 20:40
Astrid View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 16 at 09:43
That's the set up I'm after is that a James Baroud tent?
Astrid View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 16 at 09:58

Hi this is the product code

Product Number – KRLD005T the listing has ended so I don't know if I missed out, I could never afford the one front runner have listed for a t3 at £1400. Which is why I am hesitant to buy in case it's wrong however it would be great if it did fit.

Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 16 at 11:01
As pointed out the roof of a T3 isn't parallel sided so you can only use a rack made for the vehicle or one with adjustable width legs, Landrovers are very simple design, the defender roofs are made about 100 yards from where I am sat
the Terrafirma one you are looking at is a little narrow I think, and height from gutter needs to be checked
there are loads of Terrafirma vendors so you should be able to find one near enough to check it insitu, it may be possible to modify it to fit but the time and effort might not justify it compared to the CVC one even if you can't afford the frontrunner one
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
PaulSA View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulSA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 16 at 07:50
Hi Astrid,

The Roof-top tent is manufactured here in South Africa by Custom Leisure Tech.
They are of the "lighter" full aluminium, Clam-shell types.

As far as the Front-Runner roofrack is concerned--(and I obviously don't know how popular the Defender Front-Runner racks are in UK) have a look for second hand racks---the Defender width is +/- the same as the T3---and certainly does work 100% when the Front-Runnner legs are adjustable for width.

Edited by PaulSA - 28 Nov 16 at 07:52
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 16 at 16:57
Seen this?
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
 Post Reply Post Reply