The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lambda Sensor.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteetonMVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lambda Sensor.
    Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 12:28
Hi  Can anyone help with tips on how to remove Lambda Sensor from the DPF.  I have a fault diagnosed by VCDS as " 008785 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Negative Lead: Open Circuit --   P2251 - 000 -"  If I could get it out without breaking it I may be able to repair it.  I have tried using a 3/8 drive 22mm crowsfoot but it is so tight I might break it or me.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated.  Van drives as it allways has done except for this exhaust management light that is on. 
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 12:38
I've not needed to remove one on a T5 yet, but I have on other VW/Audi's I've had and you do ned to use quite a bit of force to get them off probably due to the temperatures.

However, they are not a fixable item, the error code you have normally means it's had it, as they do tend to go. They are about £50 for a non VW one and about £80 for a genuine VW one.

It's worth replacing as the ECU uses it to get the right air fuel ratio and stop the engine running to lean or rich.
SteetonMVP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteetonMVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 12:45
Wow thanks for replying so quick.  I thought that as the van drives ok and the light does not come back on for a day or so if I delete the code, It might be the heating element in the sensor that has a broken wire.  Not trying to penny pinch but being quoted £199 for the sensor without fitting. 
monsoin22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsoin22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 10:28
Hi borg !
You gave nice solution ...Thanks for the post ..Actually i don't have an idea about this lambada sensor ...Can you give me the brief info about Lambada sensor ???

------------
lift scissor
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 18:14
As far as I know the lambda (oxygen) sensor normally relates to a petrol engine.  It sniffs the exhaust gasses and reports to the ECU which adjusts the petrol/air mix accordingly.  Since a diesel has no restriction (throttle) it is free to gulp as much air as it likes governed only by how much fuel is injected.  What air it does take in will be metered by the MAF but I don't think the ECU can restrict the air in any way.

Although your fault code says 'lambda sensor'  I'm wondering if it's really telling you the pressure sensor for the DPF is faulty.  The pressure sensor checks if the DPF is getting blocked so that the ECU can burn off the excess soot occasionally.   I read that they have been causing problems on many VW/Audi vehicles and I think there may be fix concerning flashing the ECU which will have to be done by the dealer.  The sensor will have to be changed too.  A good google around for 'Exhaust pressure sensor' will soon find something.  Smile 

Edited by T5 TDI - 29 Jul 10 at 21:36
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteetonMVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 22:20
Thanks for replying.  Went for a ride to Scarborough yesteday.  Light came back on again before the bus was warm, it still goes as it always has done, except for this dam light on, "take me to the dealer" light.  Three weeks a go I did just that and they diagnosed the exhaust pressure sensor, £90 fitted.  Light came on again when it was used cold again, took it back and they said it was my fault because I had sprayed WD40 on the sensor connectors.  They cleared to fault light but it came on again when it was used from cold again.  I have bought a VCSD and put the light out many times but it keeps comming on again with this P2251 Lambda fault.  Last night I also had fault code P2243, P0132 as well as P2251 all of which refer to the lambda Sensor.  The graph of the lambda output is not as it is in the example.  I have also bought a 22mm crows foot socket but the Lambda sensor is stuck fast and I am frightened of breaking it or the socket bar or my fingers.  Sorry to go on a bit but I have taken it to the local VW dealer, Car Dealer, they have had two goes and can't fix it, so I have either to try and diagnose the problem myself or go to a commercial VW dealer which is 1hr drive each way.  Unless anyone can think of a better solution I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new sensor £75.75 from ebay which might not be the right one.  The trouble is I may have to cut the sensor wires off the old sensor to use a half inch drive deep single hex socket to remove the old sensor, and recut the thread in the DPF, which is bound to strip, -  Rambling a bit - what to do?   
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 22:25
As I see it the dealer fitted a part but did not cure the problem, I would be landing it back with them as your issues keep reoccuring
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteetonMVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 22:30
I don't think they know what they are doing, does WD40 hurt electrics?  The pressure sensor is really easy to change it is right in front of you as you open the bonnet, but the lambda sensor might cause a problem and the mechanic won't earn any money fitting that.  If I that it back there they will diagnose the problem by changing parts at my expence. 
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 22:39

I regulary use WD40 around electrics at work, if you think the dealer will just chuck parts at it at your expense then your best bet is to find a switched on independant mechanic

The one I use is ex VW and knows his onions, good service and competitive pricing, he can usually diagnose most things over the phone if I can give him enough (accurate) info.

It beats speaking to a pretty face at a dealers reception that wouldnt know the difference between a camshaft and a calm day (and paying LOTS more for the privelidge)

triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 22:41
Pendle performance do a dpf delete get that done and you wont need to worry about the sensor or the dpf and enjoy the better performance and mpg, its something i am gonna do soon.

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 22:44
Originally posted by triple triple wrote:

Pendle performance do a dpf delete get that done and you wont need to worry about the sensor or the dpf and enjoy the better performance and mpg, its something i am gonna do soon.

Good point Triple, I`d forgot about that

Better MPG, more power, no more shitty running while it "regenerates" and best of all no DPF to shat itself and need replaced £1200+

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteetonMVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 10 at 07:45

Are you saying I can do without the Lambda sensor?  How does that work then?  I thought that even if you delete the DPF and fit a pipe, instead of the DFP, you had to reinstall the Lambda Sensor in the delete pipe! 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteetonMVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 10 at 16:59

Update:   The new Lambda Sensor has finally arrived, via a local Motor Factor, from Bosch in Germany.   I was expecting it to come with wire tails that I would have to splice to the old connection to the loom, but it came with exactly the right connector and also 10 or so cable ties and clips to secure it.  I was dreading removing the old sensor from the DPF as it has been there for 49 thousand miles, I expected the thread to be left behind in the exhaust or worse still strip the thread in the exhaust.  In preparation for this I purchased a 18mm x 1.5m thread chaser and was looking where to buy helecoil thread repair, but they were over £100 so I was praying I would not need one.  I did buy a can of Freeze Spray Quick Release and a special Lambda Sensor split socket.  I waited for the van to cool for an hour gave the sensor a good 10 second Freeze spray fitted the socket with 2 extensions bars quarter turn and it came out as easy as a spark plug.  Cleaned away all traces of the release agent and fitted the new Lambda Sensor with a crow’s foot socket to avoid damaging the new sensor.  VCDS and my Laptop to put the light out and back home after a road test 30 minutes.   Van runs much better from cold now.  I have sent off to Ross-Tech the auto-scans as there is no Label file for my engine module.  Is there a way to decide which Measuring block is for the Lambda Sensor on a 7HJ S03 Transporter, also I am interested in seeing what state the DPF is in, is it regenerating ok? How much Ash Mass has it got? Etc.  I have never seen the DPF or Glow Plug light on whilst driving. 

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 10 at 18:32

There is a German version of the engine label file, you might be able to make something out of it.

http://de.openobd.org/vw/transporter_7h.htm#45  I did try and translate it via google a few years ago ConfusedLOL    There is some some stuff about which blocks to check for ash levels on the VCDS site but this is for other vehicles so the blocks could be different on T5.

If you get any info about when they will do the T5 engine label file let us know.  Smile

2004 2.5 174
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 10 at 18:42
Just translated that again and it worked but it seems to be the login for the engine controller but none of the engine blocks.
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteetonMVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 10 at 18:44
Thanks for that
Cellutron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cellutron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 21 at 08:46
Reinventing the wheel!
Glow plug light flashing= differential exhaust gas pressure (DPF) sensor fault- replace to cure
Engine light with those DTCs (DPF) = Lambda Sensor- replace to cure
Regent warning light not going away( just under glow plug light)- clean/ replace DPF

Older (T5) have quite an elementary and robust Emission system though not so well defined diagnostic codes  with pinpoint accuracy of and well defined  component solutions- stems from a German desire to promote dealership prestige and profit! 

Pre and post DPF sensors, lambda sensor, and a differential vacuum sensor. That’s all. The differential sensor is a measure of soot build up, so let knows the state of the DPF itself. All fairly simple to replace. 
 Post Reply Post Reply