The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jx fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jx fuel pump
    Posted: 05 Jul 16 at 21:17
Hi,

Please can someone advise, I believe my fuel pump is leaking a little and getting air in the pump. This is causing the van to have trouble starting.

Does anyone know any good places that reconditions fuel pumps. Has anyone had experience with garages and that could also remove the pump, as i understand it can be tricky as you have to lock the engine in place? I'm based in Wiltshire.

Is that an average cost to this and potential time scale. I use my van as a daily drive so can't really be off the road too long.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

James

Edited by Jim D - 05 Jul 16 at 21:18
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 18:39
Hi, there is a guy in Barnstaple called regcheesman on here and 80-80 forum. He is spoken of highly on the forums and is very cheap compared to a bosch approved pump garage. Make sure you do get someone who does know these engines as there may be a simple fault.....or £600 plus pump replacement if reconditioning is not an option. Try searching for him you'll find him pretty quickly. Good luck. Cheers Zeb
1990 Westfalia California 1.6TD
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 16 at 19:01
If it runs ok once started it probably doesn't need a recondition?

You just need to stop air leaking into the fuel system.

Places to start are all the fuel bleed off hose and the little bung on the last injection.
Then replace all the copper washers on the banjos and check the fuel hoses and clips.
Mine used to leak on air and be a right pain to start.
Replacing the fuel lines and clip sorted mine. But only after changing all the other fore mentioned parts.

As a last result fitting a one way fuel priming bulb just before the pump is also an easy fix. If need switch the ignition on so the fuel solanoid is open and just pump fuel into the pump. Good luck.    
Jim D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 16 at 19:20
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the info,

The bleed off pipes are fine, but the copper banjos? Where do I buy these, and how much do they vary? As for think the injectors are afn but the pump is JX and the injector pipes are also JX.

I've replaced the glow plugs which has helped starting it, but it takes a short while to really get going and now pumping out a lot more smoke......   

I've also already got one of the manual priming pumps but it's in a really bad place in the engine. Well I can't squeeze it through the folding hatch anyway.
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 16 at 19:47
Hmmm AFN injectors with a JX pump. That won't work well.

I'd try and get some other injectors.

Sorry I wasn't very clear - you're not replacing the banjos themselves just the copper pinch washer either side of the banjo pump and bolt?

Edited by ob1 - 17 Jul 16 at 19:48
 Post Reply Post Reply