The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JX and JR is the same engine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miglua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JX and JR is the same engine?
    Posted: 23 Jan 11 at 22:50
Hi!
I'm new to this forum. This is a great forum! greatings from Portugal to everyone.
I have a VW T3 1.6TD (JX). Just a few weeks ago the oil consumption became enormous. My mechanic did a compression test in all cylinders and found two of them almost dead.
Maybe this is the right moment to upgrade my T3. I read a lot about the different engines... and a 1.9D or TD (1y or aaz) seem to be a good choices.
But i found a refurbished 1.6TD (JR) with 0 miles with a very good price. AbouT30€ (£213)...
The mid-price of a ~140000 miles 1.9TD is about 800€ (£596).

The question is:
JR engine is the same of JX engine? it will fit without any modification?
This is a good deal, 250€ for a 1.6TD or should i pay a more for a 1.9D or TD and do a real upgrade?

Regards
Miguel  

Hillshy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 11 at 20:06

Greeting for sunny Portugal, plz send us some Sun asap!

JR has hydraulic tappets in the head so slighty newer design and is usually set up with a lean pump and hence low pressure turbo same as umwelt design (1.9 golf cl's).  JX has solid lifter head, but that's about it. both are good engine's if set up well.  If the JR is complete with the pump and if its a case of throw it in complete, then its worth considering. Their a good engine and last well due to low pressure turbo set up, can make bit more power if you need it too, change the boost pin for a better one. or go for the 1.9td (AAZ), but I personally wouldn't recommend a 1.9td without a decent front mounted oil cooler. so that costing needs to be considered in the 1.9 build. the 1.9td's run hot. read all about it here on the forum.   both engines are good options IMO, I have a spare engine in my garage and that is also a JR! just in case I blo my 1.9td up!

Hills  

Edited by Hillshy - 24 Jan 11 at 20:07
1990 velle weekender(Hilli) AAZ

B5 Passat V6 TDI Tiptronic
A3 PD170 s-line soon to be sold asap bloody pd engines!
SUKI SJ410 on stilts
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 11 at 20:17
i had a jr in my jetta, it was fully serviced by vw and one lady owner 85k , had cracks all over the head and a rust hole in the block! it also had a garret T3 on it rather than the T2 on a gtd, due to this it was as laggy as fook. it had an LDA and a boost pin that is now in my AAZ syncro, i.e tapered 
i would say no to the JR. get an AAZ, but yes its the same basic lump as a jx but with hydralic tappets.
miglua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miglua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 11 at 07:24
thanks for the answers!
The weather right now is quite cold and rainy, not the usual portuguese sunny days. But don't worry, i will send (by e-mail) some sun asap. :)
In fact i lost the JR deal yesterday. I will seek another option. And just one more question. A 1Y 1.9D will do the job? i don't care about speed, just no overheating on extreme hill climb (like mountain road or something...) and a good reliability. 
we could say that jx and 1y are pretty much the same in power?

Regards 
Miguel 

Edited by miglua - 25 Jan 11 at 07:33
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 11 at 10:22
You're gonna want to swap the ancillaries anyway, especially manifolds, turbo etc, so you will be able to ditch the garrett if that's what it has. Sump also required, so don't throw the jx away until you've robbed all the parts. Might even consider whipping the head off? If it's in good nick it'll be a great spare as head gaskets can go, and heat cracks between valves not uncommon. Sounds like a good option if you have already sourced a good engine.
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
 Post Reply Post Reply