The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just aquired an AFM engine but no ecu, need advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just aquired an AFM engine but no ecu, need advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 07:57
Interesting as I`ve now got this engine, that means the disco pump won`t work it although it works the 215s set at 220 on the aef mtdi?
the last one
dougslug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 08:20
Has anyone tried a disco pump with 300 bar injectors?
What is the LR pump rated to work at?
Could I maybe swap the cam plate for the etdi?

rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 10:41
No worries AFN injectors are 190, Don`t know where the bollocks came from. THought about that cam plate swop but there`s more to it than that. Not necessary. Stay with the disco pump unless you want megapower then look for an Lt. My disco pump is all the way up and thats where I`m heading for the vnt 17 and un1
the last one
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 11:28
<thread hijack>
ooohh UN1 - you using VW Nerd's adaptor plate?
</thread hijack>
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 11:41
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

No worries AFN injectors are 190, Don`t know where the bollocks came from.

Exerpt from TDI forums, home of true bollocks
--
"The early 110 'Euro 2' standard AFN/AVG engines had 190/300 bar opening pressures."

LOL

subwoofer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subwoofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 12:05
Aren't those two-stage injectors? Both gentlemen could be right...
Joachim

'90 Caravelle C Syncro w/ various mods and Megasquirt3 ECU
monkey magic View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 12:26
I believe yes, 2 stage, pilot stage at 190/220, main at 300.

I had got it into my head the afn piloted at 220, does anybody know at what engine code they upped this from 190 to 220? Am about to get some of these built for my mtdi..

Hey famous, how goes it?

Dont like the look of your alu lever on your mech boost control, doesnt seem to have a lot of metal at the side of that adjustment slot. I can get you one machined up properly if you like?
mTDI Syncro
famous phil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famous phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 12:54
Look at the double stage VW injectors not all have the pressures stamped on them if you look at many TDi injectors some are only marked with a part number , it does not mater which factory they were made , I've had sets from the French and German factories with the same part numbers some have both pressures marked 220/300 some have only the lower 190/220 bar stampings ,( this helps them not sound like a tran-sit Di )
I've just quickly checked some pumps in at the moment disco one that only has 2.44mm lift , early TDi AHU/1Z pump 3.00mm later AFN/ASV 3.09mm .

Its also found after failed pumps that some people had changed to larger injector nozzles and not had the injectors pop tested/reshimmed , on checking the injectors they can be vastly out of range exceeding the specs greatly , they can go from 300 bar to over 400 causing wear/damage to the pump, some people get away with it but its not good.

Edited by famous phil - 19 May 10 at 21:36
Prototype automotive engineering design and development
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famous phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 22:00
Originally posted by monkey magic monkey magic wrote:

I believe yes, 2 stage, pilot stage at 190/220, main at 300.I had got it into my head the afn piloted at 220, does anybody know at what engine code they upped this from 190 to 220?

Am about to get some of these built for my mtdi..Hey famous, how goes it?Dont like the look of your alu lever on your mech boost control, doesnt seem to have a lot of metal at the side of that adjustment slot. I can get you one machined up properly if you like?

Hi Monkey alls fine at this end

Could it have been upped from 190 to 220 when they had Immobilizer fitted , so that would be about 1996 ?

If you look more closely at the vane control arm its machined so that the nut does not rotate and that its more than upto the job must be the angle of the shot , if it was part of a braking system then I would see your point
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 22:22
AFN, 1Z, AHU pop 190/220 new, 170 used, ALH (later type) pop 220. They operate at these pressures. Mm the guy doing the nozzles, flowing and pressures highers the needle lift. 98 AFN 190. Is that Andrew`s revamped modulation system pic?

Edited by rolo - 19 May 10 at 22:46
the last one
dougslug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 10 at 08:46
I am confused now !
On the one hand, I know it works because I have done it, if it all goes bang, no great loss
on the other, there seems to be data saying its mismatched and flawed, I d like to understand
Is there an opperating pressure for the injection pump as well? How do you find out what it is?
there seems to me to be a strong case for limiting the hp/torque on a T3 so unrefined  running tdi is more than good enough, max cruise about 75-80mph maybe top out at 90, why would you want more?
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 10 at 22:45

hi all have a drink on me  disco 2.5 tdi have got nozzle opening pressure of 220- 280 bar so there is no problem with the disco pump running 300 bar nozzle's as for the cam plate lift the afn pump has a 10mm head as opposed to the discos 11mm  so the afn needs a longer stroke to produce the same pressure the govonor could be better but will give more than satisfactory results and for the pump bracket use a abl [1.9td t4] as it do not need opening up  and as for the vane controller  look on vwgtd forum as the person who made the one pictured in the earlier post has a detailed thread on it although it looks like some one here is alluding to it as there own  ?

light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 10 at 23:46
just to edit the above the cam plate lift is more about quantity of fuel injected per cycle not the pressure of the injection cycle as that is the injectors job  and  300 bar for a afn ? is not what my data is telling me[ 190 to 220] but if it is 300 a 2.5 tdi landrover defender has 200-300 bar opening pressure and should have about the right fueling as they are all about 107- 111 hp[same as disco] and afn is 110 hp but i have used a pug 405 pump with a afn cam plate and plunger / head with good results as the pump has a better advance curve than the disco pumps but dont be put of using the disco pump as they give good performance and economy and will probably out last most bastardized pumps and are not far from being bolt on with the right bracket and pulley
dougslug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 10 at 07:54
Thanks light, very helpful info. I have seen the vnt acuator on GTD forum  as well. made by andrew libby aka libbypappa
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 10 at 18:14
 yea something dodgy on that vane controller .The main reason for damage to a pump that has been modified is caused by trying to force to much fuel through to small a nozzle as that puts to much pressure on the camplate and rollers causing excessive heat build up but if you do the maths using the the camplate lifts and pump head diameters for the afn and disco pumps you get fuel displacement per cycle with not much more than
10 cubic mm difference  as the disco pump displaces 231.911c mm opposed to 242.719c mm for the afn that would suggest to me the disco pump would run under less load using afn injectors than running the discos.But you can not be 100% on that as you have to take duration {amount of time taken to displace the fuel} in to account and i have no figures for that .listen to the people who have used them and most will say they have had good results and very little in the way of problems. The way i look at it is like this the man in the shop who is trying to sell you something is always going to say you don't want one of them you want one of these because we sell these  and the ones we don't sell are shit

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famous phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 10 at 00:56
Originally posted by light light wrote:

<FONT style=": #dddddd">as for the vane controller  look on vwgtd forum as the person who made the one pictured in the earlier post has a detailed thread on it although it looks like some one here is alluding to it as there own  ?

Hi and welcome light , I don't think anyone was saying it was their own work and just pointing out one way its been done , probably be quite a bit different in a camper   I've not decided which way to go on my installation as thinking use the ECU or ECU/MTDi only cause I'll be using the Audi box ,its more like mistaken assumptions

must add a very close and interesting theory regarding the pump/ injectors   
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 10 at 22:46
no probs on the vnt but am intrigued on the audi trans axle in a t3 how do you go about changing the direction of rotation ? do you flip the diff like in the old beetles ? i am a bit green on t3s as have just started to play with them  and it was the quest for a decent gearbox that led me to this site[ it was a conversion plate for the un1 box to be precise]as i know a few grass trackers who have used them in the past but if their is a way of using the audi box it would be a lot cheaper .P.S If you use a disco pump use the delivery valves of the vw tdi  pump
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famous phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 10 at 00:41
Hi,if you removed the diff and pinion from the box it could be flipped but because its pinion is offset it means that the diff rises , it then interferes with the input shaft and the drive flanges don't line up , I'm draughting up dimensions for castings and forged parts to check feasibility   

With regards to the disco pump its OK if the correct parts are used God help the bloke thats searching for a distributor coil spark plugs carburettor from an old series 3 landy to run a Passat or A4 engine      

Edited by famous phil - 30 May 10 at 09:06
dougslug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 10 at 08:43
just took a spin in the aformentioned van now its sorted,( its a high top camper running standard td gearing and tyres)
verdict....its brilliant! not a fast flat out as my 2.1 syncro, but loads more grunt on the hills
no smoke now, the fuel pump was turned down 3/4 of a turn and the aneroid set to minimum
it makes plenty of power for this set up without overstraining the running gear..who wants to do over 80 in a high top anyway?
I have never driven an aaz so cant compare, but I can say that I would rather drive this than any petrol engine or standard diesel
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 10 at 20:20
that's what a lot  dont realise is the the low down torque off the tdi  your top end could be help out with a different governor the disco,s pull back fueling quite low down in the rev range and relise on the heavier rotating mass {big fuck of flywheel} to maintain momentum ,did you use the the vnt with out a controller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>