The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just aquired an AFM engine but no ecu, need advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just aquired an AFM engine but no ecu, need advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2435mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just aquired an AFM engine but no ecu, need advice
    Posted: 07 May 10 at 21:17

Just aquired an AFM engine but no ecu, need advice

Just gained myself an AFN engine but unfortunately no ECU.
Firstly, do I need to go down the route of finding an ECU or is it possible to simply change the fuel pump? (I have a mech pump of a N/A 1.9D) or, would a different pump be needed?
If I need an ECU, what car would I need one from?
I didn't do it.....honest
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 21:40
Basically the AFN is the beefed up 1.9 tdi of its era. It came on Audi A4 1.9 tdi (red eye) and some passats and galaxys/sharans. dunno about any golfs though. It has a vvt turbo and different injectors to its lesser brother the 1Z.
Probably most common on A4's.
Your pump won't have enough pressure/be compatible.

2435mick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2435mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 23:14
any suggestions as to what to do next?
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 23:24
ecu and loom from a scrapper Smile
Lots of searching on here in the diesel upgrades section on tdi conversions, get clued up.

T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 23:29
Do you mean you just gained the engine, or bought the van with the engine?
Assuming you've just gained the engine, are you sure you want to put it in your, what is it? camper?
If so, you need to be aware of the costs ahead of you and even more so if you pay someone else.
With tdi 's you must get a long legged gearbox fitted, AAP at the least and these are thin on the ground and ££ now. Plus there is much wiring and fitting esp as you have the AFN wich requires special engine mount near the turbo.
Not a project to be taken lightly.

Edited by T3di - 07 May 10 at 23:30

dougslug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 08:52
You can run this engine with a landrover pump, if it has a vnt turbo, then you need to find a way of manualy contolling this as well, there are numerous ways to do this from simple to complicated

If you go down the electronic route, try to match the ecu to the engine number, otherwise at least from a car that has the same turbo (vnt) I have run a ALH engine(latter type) sucsesfully with an AHF ecu, it did take some fiddling with changing connectors though. best also to do away with the immobiliser

Gearbox is another issue, with a tdi engine, work out the max speed that you can do in top gear with your gearbox at 4500 rpm with a manual pump, less with elecroic,  and ask yourself if you can live with it
2435mick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2435mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 12:07
I like the sound of a landy pump, i have good access to spares for discos, my downside is I don't have much exparience with diesels, petrols, no prob. Is a disco pump almost a bolt in converson?
Wiring etc ain't a problem.
If I source an ECU do I need to get it matched to the engine (by VW as I read somewhere it would have to be 'plugged in to their system) how do you remove the immobiliser from the system?
How do I identify a vnt turbo?
Modified engine mounts ain't a problem
Anyone point me in the right direction on here for info re wiring etc?
2435mick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2435mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 12:09
Forgot to add, my T3 is currently fitted with a 1.9N/A that has gone ga-ga, this runs through a 5 speed box.
dougslug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 16:46
I like the sound of a landy pump, i have good access to spares for discos, my downside is I don't have much exparience with diesels, petrols, no prob. Is a disco pump almost a bolt in converson?

Yo need to enlarge the hole in the pump cradle, the disco pump nose is about 20mm larger diameter.
Once fitted it will need timing, first undo the pipe to injector number one, turn the pump till it spurts diesel next bit done staticly at tdc, there is a small screw between the fuel lines on the pump take this out and you have access to the pump piston head, this needs to have mooved 1mm through its stroke at tdc. If I dont have access to a dial gauge, I push in a small screwdriver and do it by feel.
Wiring etc ain't a problem.

If I source an ECU do I need to get it matched to the engine (by VW as I read somewhere it would have to be 'plugged in to their system) how do you remove the immobiliser from the system?

If you dont have the immo removed it will look for its two best friends before letting the engine start, namely the injection pump and the chip in the key (depending on year), if you change one of the friends then they will need introducing to the immo via vw dealer or vag.com software.....or loose the immo via one of the chipping services.

How do I identify a vnt turbo?

I'm not up on which car has what. a vnt turbo has variable vanes rather than a dump valve, best plan, get the number off it and google it

Modified engine mounts ain't a problem
Anyone point me in the right direction on here for info re wiring etc?

best get a loom of a car with the same turbo and age, you will also need the throttle peddal, inlet manifold sensors including the airflow meter and quite alot more if you keep the immo you need the dash (clocks) and key reader coil,wiring is vehicle specific, so no one stop solution
[/QUOTE]
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 19:11
Originally posted by 2435mick 2435mick wrote:

as long as its from the same engined car you should be ok, you need the ecu,immobiliser and key(or chip from key to be precise)

I just fitted an AHU code ecu/imm/key to my 1Z code engine to cure an issue I had, works fine

fit the immobiliser, its easy and makes it harder to steal Wink
2435mick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2435mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 19:14
Thank you Dougslug, your info is most helpful
If I go down the route of the disco pump, generally fitting it wont be a problem but i can think of one or two issues nameley around timing.
Can I assume that when timing the pump the crank/cam will be at TDC as per normal timing
Which toothed sprocket will I need, Disco or VW.
Is the dump valve a thing attached to the end of a flexi type metal pipe, my engine has one of these fitted
2435mick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2435mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 19:19
Cheers Busbuddy, your info is much appreciated, from what you say, If the ecu is from the same type of car/engine combination can i assume that there will be no re-programming issues?
dougslug View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 19:25
I haven't looked at the disco pully, it may work!
Vw one definitely does, just pull off the hub and fit your old one
you will also need to elongate the fixing holes in the disco pump so as to allow it to rotate or slot the cradle to alow the same
or get an ALH sprocket that already has adjusting slots in it
I think the pipe your talking about is the Exahaust recerculating pipe going to the inlet manifold
2435mick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2435mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 19:36
Cheers Dougslug, PM sent via B/works. There is a device on the turbo which appears to be controlled by a vaccuum, what is this device?
I have some photos f the engine , would it help if you saw them?
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 22:22
only have to program if replacing one of the key/imm/ecu items, the pumps are usually plug and play
famous phil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famous phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 10 at 13:17
Hi if your thinking of using a disco pump its pulley will be no good - its a larger diameter ,the pump Governor will almost certainly need changing the injectors will probably need replacing - the ones in the engine you have work at about 300bar,and the pump mounting bracket needs machining , so the hybrid you'll end up with is an engine not quite as refined as the earlier TDi's probably at great expense
if trying to get it running with an ECU I'd have thought you'd need from another car key loom ECU immobiliser + fuel Pump unless immobiliser is to be removed ( anyone know what the cost is to have imo removed )
I've been building MTDi pumps to replace the VP37 type pumps fitted to numerous vehicles including ones with VAG engines , as for the turbo it may be possible to use an early TDi type or for best results use the one fitted with vane control linked to throttle and boost like in the pic below

Prototype automotive engineering design and development
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 10 at 22:04
AFN injectors work at 300 bar??
the last one
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 10 at 23:52
^^^  surely not??
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 07:28
yes, its true

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 07:41
blimey! I didn't know that..  not far off double a TD then
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>