The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intermittent knocking from cold start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intermittent knocking from cold start
    Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 09:04
Hi all,

looking for some guidance if anyone can help please?

I have a 2008 T5 4-cylinder, 46k miles. Well looked after and not worked hard. This year it occasionally has a heavy, intermittent knocking sound from the bottom of the engine bay when started from cold. This continues for a minute or two before clearing and I have no more problems - drives smoothly and quietly. It does not always happen - in fact it is quite rare - but it is too noticeable to ignore. 

You can feel the 'clunk' through the floor when it happens, it happens every couple of seconds but not at regular intervals. 

My first instinct is it is associated with the flywheel - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.  

Peter
05 T5 LWB Panel van
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 10:26
The regular T5 test for a failing DMF is to reverse slowly up a slope, partially slipping the clutch.  If you get consistent bad shudder it is time for a new DMF.

Is the idle speed normal when you get the heavy knocking sound ?
dazoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 11:08
Thanks for the reply, I have been meaning to do the reverse test for a couple of weeks now but not managed to find a handy spot!

Yes, idle speed is fine - sounds like a heavier noise than just the engine missing I think. 
05 T5 LWB Panel van
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 14 at 21:46
Driveshaft or engine mount?
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 14 at 19:34
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

Driveshaft or engine mount?

If it happens at idle (ie when not moving) then I'd say an engine mount could be a culprit, but much less likely to be the (made-of-soft-chocolate) driveshaft splines.

IIRC there was a thread on here not so long ago where an engine mount was the issue.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 14 at 08:59
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

[QUOTE=Alonline]Driveshaft or engine mount?

If it happens at idle (ie when not moving) then I'd say an engine mount could be a culprit, but much less likely to be the (made-of-soft-chocolate) driveshaft splines.

IIRC there was a thread on here not so long ago where an engine mount was the issue.
[/QUOTE

Remember everything VW is made of soft uneatable chocolate.
dazoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 14 at 16:06
That's interesting - an engine mount would be my preference! Driveshaft splines seems unlikely to me as it only happens at idle. 

Thanks for the pointers, drove again the other day and it was perfect starting from cold, so it is very intermittent. 

05 T5 LWB Panel van
dazoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 15 at 00:03
As an update - was both an engine mount and the flywheel. 

New flywheel and clutch at 47k miles is a bit disappointing given it was used for inly light work apart from towing a small caravan a handful of times last year. 

05 T5 LWB Panel van
tt62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 15 at 20:15
Dazoo, I agree with your comments about the short life of items on a supposed "commercial" vehicle.

Do what I'm going to do in spring and get a new Transit. Everyone goes-on about crap residuals, but a great residual is no fu(king good when you are stranded at the side of the road. The Transit is also AT LEAST £10,000 cheaper to buy new, so I can factor getting £10,000 less (plus interest) when I sell it.......no problem.

The Transit is also the only van apart from the iLoad that has a bit more engine capacity than ALL the opposition, including the T5.1 (2.2 litre). Nothing to replace engine size when it comes to grunt, no matter how many turbos you bolt on to it.
'09 Sportline Kombi
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 15 at 23:10
T5.1 is only 2 litre.

Get onto customer frustration center and kick off. The dealer should have pointed you there but then they would have only got warranty rates rather than fully retail.

Ring them in the morning and kick off about poor build quality.
tt62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 15 at 23:52
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

T5.1 is only 2 litre.

Al, I meant the Transit is 2.2 litre, all the others (apart from the iLoad) are 2.0 litre. My bad composition I suppose!

Do you know if FFFord have sorted-out the door issue (seems as if they are re-designing the hinge set-up)?
'09 Sportline Kombi
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 15 at 10:15
The local dealer has a lot of livery parked up transits in there dealership and you cannot get a hire vehicle around the size of a transit over here for love or money.

Us Ulster Scots are as tight as a ducks arse and when we are sold sh1te we turn legal very quickly. The finance companies and dealer are running around fire fighting. I had said earlier they are welding hinges on and re attaching the door to it,not going to be that easy to sort again if they launch a new hinge is it?

The next issue will be corrosion down the line from all the welding done on the chassis and pillar?

Some have handed back, stopped paying under the sale of goods act, not fit for purpose.

Maybe VW should watch how Ford sorts a problem by redesigning their fecked up hinges rather than just selling the same crap all the time?

If I was you I would write and ask for one the doors stay on and don't fall off.

Talking of doors here's a T5 that passed me before Christmas on the Carryduff roundabout. Bit like my door issue I had.

dazoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 15 at 10:39
I know the flywheel is a weak spot, whilst it has cost me a grand at least I can forget about it for another two years. The van does low mileage as it is only used for leisure, I am not expecting any more problems. In general, it is well built and the general feel of quality is important to me. Plus I have done a lot of work to get it how I want it. 

I was going to change up to a Sprinter this year because I could do with the extra size, but have decided to trade the space in favour of a van that looks good on the drive and can be driven and parked anywhere a car can. 

The problem is solved, my wallet has been stung but fingers crossed it will be problem-free for a few years now. 
05 T5 LWB Panel van
Rich1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 17 at 13:34
Hi there had same problem found high pressure injector pipes had hairline cracks in them
Letting air in but not leaking
Replaced all 4 pipes it cured the diesel knock and the running bad
Hope this helps
 Post Reply Post Reply