The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IGNITION PROBLEM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IGNITION PROBLEM
    Posted: 27 Oct 18 at 16:42
Some one please,
Microbus 2.6! 1999 model
When I turn ignition only the lights goes on, not a single sound, one can hear the fuel pump and all other electric things work beautiful.
I at first thought might just be the battery, call out from the Battery Centre, changed the battery, same nothing.
Had the vehicle towed home
Removed the starter, thought it might be starter or solenoid, they gave the starter ful check on their bench worked beautiful.
I checked the voltage at the power output at the starter, that's fine, I check for continuity  of the solenoid wire from ignition switch, that's fine.
I am now completely confused, can some through me a light bulb please?
Wishing you more than enough!

KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 18 at 17:32
Does it turn around when starting ? or doesn't that even happen ?

Regards,
Kris
pentasure View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 18 at 19:18
Tx KrisG,
No absolute silence, not a click, nothing.
Only the ignition lights on the dash light up
KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 18 at 19:53
is it a manual or automatic gearbox ?
Regards,
Kris
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 18 at 06:05
if you have 12v at the starter solenoid when the ignition is turned to 'start' and the starter motor is ok as being tested then check the starter casing to an earth point for continuity. check condition of earth lead from engine togrounding point.
My money would be on this or the ignition switch breaking down when load is applied(ie trying to start)
Good luck.

Edited by randolph57 - 28 Oct 18 at 06:06
pentasure View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 18 at 10:33
Hi Kris, its Manual

Hi randolph57 - do you recon that continuity can so suddenly be the cause, I stopped at the shop, return to the VW and no start?

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 18 at 11:25
Most of the electrics will earth at the earth crowns under the dash (assuming SA vans are the same as European) but the starter will use the earth strap at gearbox to chassis point- these degrade and cause high resistance as it is a steel aluminium fester point.
Try putting a jumper lead from engine/gearbox to a GOOD earth point on the chassis and try to start.
My money is still on ignition switch though FWIW.

Edited by randolph57 - 28 Oct 18 at 11:27
pentasure View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 18 at 12:59
Thanks, I made good and solid earth connection.
But what is still completely confused me is: I connected a wire to the starter solinoid, then connect it to the positive terminal, just few small sparks, nothing more
To my knowledge the solenoid should kick in, not so?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 18 at 12:26
is this running now?
pentasure View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 18 at 14:01
Hi, Thanks for you concern, I removed the braid earth strap  from the body to the gearbox, cleaned the connection points as well as at the battery to the body, installed another earth connector from the body to the gearbox
And now it is working great, luckily it's not the ignition switch, thanks Heaven!Broken Heart
And many thanks for your time and assistance, greatly appreciated
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 18 at 18:02
Great! Glad you got it sorted.
 Post Reply Post Reply