The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ideal donors for flipped gear box conversion?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swabiandude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideal donors for flipped gear box conversion?
    Posted: 21 Jun 18 at 13:18
Hey all,

my first post. Been reading and admiring so far. Have some experience with t3 conversions, latest was JX/TD to chipped AFN including rebuild and reinforced gear box. Sold it back then in 2006, never had a car since.

Now the bug bit again, and I wonder what might be the ideal donor car from the VAG range?

Haven't made up my mind yet whether to go down the diesel route again as fuel economy isn't that great any more, given the ever more restrictive laws and the price tags that come with diesel spares and what not ...

On the other hand, inexpensive donor cars are to be had, especially the V6 TDIs (here in Germany).

Ignorant of the type of fuel for the time being, my plan would be to buy a T3 of some kind and a potential donor car, like a Passat or Audi, collect necessary parts then take the donor car apart and implant everything (or: most of it) into the bus.

As I see it, some Passats and most Audis (AFAIK) have the motor in line, that's what I'd be looking for. Otherwise, if I buy one with motor across I'd had to look for a separate gear box. Not that it would set me back much, but why if I can avoid it?

So, my question is: has anyone knowledge of some sort which cars are particularly interesting as donors, in order to be able to use motor and gear box from the same car?

Cheers!
Been there, done that. After years of abstinence contemplating a new bus project.
 Post Reply Post Reply