The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need another engine don't i?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chester1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need another engine don't i?!
    Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 16:58
Hi,
I have a 2.1 petrol automatic engine in a Caravelle. Garage has said the head gasket has gone and will be v. expensive to repair. AA man who towed me home today asked me 'Why don't you have another engine dropped in..it will cost around 800 pounds'...

My engine is tired and has had several repairs.
What are the options for putting in another engine (in very basic terms !)?
I can't do the work myself unfortunately, so it would mean giving the job to a garage. If its too expensive for me, it means the van has to go :(
Which engines can be dropped in?

Thanks, Em :)
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 17:20
Lots of variables here! Recon motors arnt cheap and second hand engines may be worse than what you have. Repairing yours could be a minefield once apart? Do you have a budget? Where you based? You might just have a bad mechanic rather than a bad engine......
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Chester1066 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chester1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 19:15
Budget could be around 1000 pounds, if I go ahead and not sell the van.
I know thats not a lot, and that would really have to include fitting too as I won't be able to do it..

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 22:00
get a second opinion of another mechanic 

Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 16 at 22:58
Hmm. I have this question daily in my workshop...., completely standard problems with the wbx after 150,000 miles. Is this about your mileage?, more or less.

You have to bite the bullet and have a new engine, complete. And, you'd better grab a fat bank loan, cause the cost of that (including fitting) is probably close to £4,000 plus vat. It's the only way to go and yes, it's expensive to fix. Hundreds of T3/T3 owners are finding this out now. All vans are over 25 years old and cheap fixes are exactly what they are, cheap. Don't forget that the cooling system, clutch, gearbox/auto probably needs sorting too. It's a great van, but you need deep pockets or endless dreams..... Just thought you should be told the truth.
This is all I do, day in, day out and the results are always the same.
Once further note of advise. A 'good' new Engine should have 2 years warranty with it. If not, it's probably not that good. For sure, the Forum here will be able to guide you in the UK.

Good luck. Mark Amsterdam.

Edited by Mark-Hans - 29 Nov 16 at 23:23
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 16 at 07:27
Or just fit a 1.8 gti engine for around your 1k budget. Relatively quick easy swap
Keeping performance and better mpg.
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 16 at 17:36
WHS ^ if your on a budget, but how long is the piece of string? Im in the middle of a subaru conversion which some said you can do on 2000. Ive spent more than double that, only due to the fact that 'whilst its out ill do this/upgrade that etc,etc so it can quickly amount up. How long do you plan on keeping the van? If you dont overhaul tired parts now whilst its in pieces (assuming you go that route) youll probably live to regret that move when you need to tear the bus down again to replace them tired parts

"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 16 at 22:43
Guys and Gals.

Conversions always sound appealing. Firstly a Golf Conversion is a big task. Did the man tell you that for £1,000 ???? you get...... a good engine, a completely revised engine suspension system, a new front end to the gearbox, totally revised fuel system, totally revised exhaust system and needless to say, a totally revised cooling system. All for 1K. No No No, this is going to be more costly than an new WBX engine, plug and play.
These people are talking absolute B......ks. They have NO idea or are on a dream.

And the Subaru conversion, yup, we are even further down the line of dreams and nightmares. It's a VW WBX, not a Japanese Boxer. These conversions are highly complex and eventually VERY expensive indeed. You end up with a VW T3 with a very mixed character. Value drops off the planet and if it goes wrong, who do you ask?

Fix it or throw the van away, but don't dream. These conversion guys rarely drive again, they just keep bolting on more bits to make it work.

FYI, the Golf engine doesn't like pushing, it's a puller. The Subaru is a fantastic engine in a Subaru. Shove it in the back of a VW and no one wants to know it when you sell it. And worse still, who is going to service it for you anyway? Cleanly you are NOT technical, don't play in areas that are a minefield.

I've driven T3 Golf conversions, it's awful. I've driven T3 Subaru conversion, very complicated indeed, expensive, old machinery and not an ounce of character compared to the good old VW Boxer. We are half a world apart.

And if this seems like science to you, here's a point to think about.
Our Asian sisters have been trying for 50 years to get their car doors to close like German ones. You know what, they never succeeded. But hell, they tried. Japanese Engines are amazingly perfect, but they just don't 'clunk' the way the German ones do.....................

Such is the problem with forums, unprofessional advise, enthusiasts who tinker but are not really knowledgeable about the general public who just like to drive their dream.

So cut the nonsense, you need a new engine, a proper replacement WBX, as said.. plug and play. It's going to be expensive, but far cheaper than all these other strange ideas of changing what was always as wonderful concept and appreciating.

Sometimes in life, you just have to be real...... Don't dream, Drive!

Good Luck x

Edited by Mark-Hans - 30 Nov 16 at 22:47
Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 16 at 22:49
Oh, and interestingly enough, not a word from Chester!
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 16 at 23:39
Well that's a fair bit of nonsense there. But hey.

I've completed several AAZ and one gti conversion for around 1k.

All drove lovely. No doubt an original VW WBX would be the simplest to plug and play.

Scooby conversion for sure lots of money. No comment about the drivability or desirability but people who've done them speak very highly of the performance.
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 16 at 00:10
Originally posted by Mark-Hans Mark-Hans wrote:

Guys and Gals.

Conversions always sound appealing. Firstly a Golf Conversion is a big task. Did the man tell you that for £1,000 ???? you get...... a good engine, a completely revised engine suspension system, a new front end to the gearbox, totally revised fuel system, totally revised exhaust system and needless to say, a totally revised cooling system. All for 1K. No No No, this is going to be more costly than an new WBX engine, plug and play.
These people are talking absolute B......ks. They have NO idea or are on a dream.

And the Subaru conversion, yup, we are even further down the line of dreams and nightmares. It's a VW WBX, not a Japanese Boxer. These conversions are highly complex and eventually VERY expensive indeed. You end up with a VW T3 with a very mixed character. Value drops off the planet and if it goes wrong, who do you ask?

Fix it or throw the van away, but don't dream. These conversion guys rarely drive again, they just keep bolting on more bits to make it work.

FYI, the Golf engine doesn't like pushing, it's a puller. The Subaru is a fantastic engine in a Subaru. Shove it in the back of a VW and no one wants to know it when you sell it. And worse still, who is going to service it for you anyway? Cleanly you are NOT technical, don't play in areas that are a minefield.

I've driven T3 Golf conversions, it's awful. I've driven T3 Subaru conversion, very complicated indeed, expensive, old machinery and not an ounce of character compared to the good old VW Boxer. We are half a world apart.

Our Asian sisters have been trying for 50 years to get their car doors to close like German ones. You know what, they never succeeded. But hell, they tried. Japanese Engines are amazingly perfect, but they just don't 'clunk' the way the German ones do.....................

Such is the problem with forums, unprofessional advise, enthusiasts who tinker but are not really knowledgeable about the general public who just like to drive their dream.

So cut the nonsense, you need a new engine, a proper replacement WBX, as said.. plug and play. It's going to be expensive, but far cheaper than all these other strange ideas of changing what was always as wonderful concept and appreciating.

Good Luck x

Ive never read so much bollox in so few paragraphs, 
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 16 at 00:18
Conversions may be expensive, but once the conversions completed, if you happen to cook your gti/scooby/tdi lump. theres plenty more reasonably priced replacements easily picked up and dropped in place 
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 16 at 06:36
Originally posted by Bromy Bromy wrote:

Originally posted by Mark-Hans Mark-Hans wrote:

Guys and Gals.

Good Luck x

Ive never read so much bollox in so few paragraphs, 
Agreed! Absolute ducking bollocks! The 2,0l GTi is a fantastic conversion for these vans.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 16 at 13:22

nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 16 at 13:47
How does an engine know if its pushing or pulling? Surely its just going round and round? (or is that up and down!)
http://www.fosterandday.co.uk
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 16 at 15:31
Originally posted by nic nic wrote:

How does an engine know if its pushing or pulling? Surely its just going round and round? (or is that up and down!)

My missus always knows... maybe engines are the same?
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 16 at 16:26
And she'll know that your pushing from the back (door).

Edited by Titus A Duxass - 01 Dec 16 at 16:27
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 16 at 17:46
*snigger*
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Post Reply Post Reply