FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to upgrade from RCD200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to upgrade from RCD200
    Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 10:50

As the RCD200 (default in transporter as at Autumn 2007) used with default speakers is awful, I'm upgrading and providing pictures of any successes/mistakes as I go.

Qualifying 'awful': there is a huge amount false bass. There is a very narrow band where it is really loud, and there is nothing elsewhere. I build speakers, but you don't need to do that to hear it. Listen to bass line: usually one of the notes is massively louder than the others. It gave me a headache in no time... and I can assure you with 4 of these
http://www.tymphany.com/datasheet/printview.php?id=27
in my current living-room speakers, I'm not bass shy.

so to project 1...

Edited by orangina - 19 Nov 09 at 15:40
charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 11:00

Is it the head unit or the speakers (door enclosures) producing awful boom?

First problem: removing rcd 200:

removing stereo

It is stuck! If this happens, remove the little tray above the stereo: You'll notice heatsink on left of unit in the above picture - the wiring may be caught in this, as was the case in mine:

wiring caught

Huge surprise: a wiring diagram is on these like on delta - nice of VW to provide a little info for once: elsawin doesn't have it!

wiring diagram

Can I wire in rear speakers? Well a couple of guys assured me connecting speakers will make the 'fade' option start working, but I've found the wires are not in the vehicle by default:

rear wiring

Comparing to pinout above, only the fronts are connected.

But the great news is there is a single channel per side (for each of front and back) rather than outputs to woofer/tweeter etc specifically, so crossover is elsewhere in vehicle. That is next thing for me to find: though it is possible they use none and just put a capacitor on the tweeter.

I will also need to find something to insert into the connector to go onto spades on back of rcd200: anyone know where spares of these plugs can be got from, rather than buying blaupunkts ready made one (http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=324)

connector

charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 07 at 11:08

So my first project, hopefully this weekend, is wiring some bog-standard accurate hifi speakers to rears to see if they come on, if the fade works, and most importantly to see if the response is flat.

I intend to use one of these, http://www.dension.com/GW100.php, to connect to 5G ipod: at present denision and reports indicate it doesn't work (charge) 6G ("Ipod classic"), but it will with firmware update. This works with rcd200 as a pretend CD changer, and has been mentioned elsewhere on this board briefy. The VW delta version apparently works with rcd300, and many resellers include rcd200 in the list - pretty sure it will be fine.

As long as response is good from head unit, power doesn't matter, as amps can sit between head unit and speakers. I know I could just change the head unit, but I really don't want a "steal me" alpine, which is what I'll put in if the output from the rcd200 turns out to be awful

TwoFish View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 07 at 15:29

Charliem. Thanks for the info. I found it pretty daunting (and time consuming) when I was "podding and 'toothing" my RCD200. Your info would have been a great help then.

I'm not sure if we're talking about quite the same thing here, but to make extra connections in the spare holes in those blocks, I bought a generic VW connector thingy from Maplins, cut the plastic away with a Dremel, and salvaged the 'socketty' pins from inside. I then threaded the new cable through the existing block and crimped on the new 'socketty pin' (casn you tell I'm not an ICE pro?)

More on that in this thread.

Don't suppose you know where (in Nokia speak) the 'IGNS' connection is do you? (switched ignition I presume). I've still not been able to work that one out.

charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 07 at 15:49

Hi all...

Great news - the RCD200 isn't awful. And rears will work.

Thisafternoons efforts:

First: taking the multiconnector off the RCD200 is easy: squeeze two bits of plastic to bottom of the lever of connector and lock arm rotates up. Note that this big block contains a brown speaker block (2x4 terminals) which can be extracted from main block if desired.

The wiring diagram indicates the speaker connetors are identical to standard ISO connnector layout. Great. But here's a standard ISO connector held against the speaker section.

wrong size

It is too big. Thanks very much Blaupunkt/VW. So to connect rears in, you need a VW type plug, or a hacksaw; Don't worry, I'm not touching the original wiring!

Standard ISO connectors available from Maplin, or a scrap yard. Just get the terminals out: Here's me destroying one:

making terminals

I will insert these into spare 4 holes in VWs, but for testing purposes I wrapped the nearest tape to hand I had round them, and stuffed them in the rcd 200: note, I took the brown connector out of VW,s so I could connect all original harness, but my own speaker connector:

The rear speakers connectors work, and fade becomes active on head unit! 

charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 07 at 16:04

Sound quality

I really want to leave original Head unit in, so no one break in for it. Next question I had was: Is the horrid bass because of the speakers or the Head unit?

The short answer if you don't want to read this bit of the post is as follows: The sound quality is good, but obvously not up to a nice Alpine/Pioneer. Even plugged into one of their amps it will be better than at present, but not as good as them. But for most people it is probably fine. The speakers in the doors / the housing formed by doors themselves as awful!

Technically:

Here's a better head unit

So, comparing to an audiolab hifi amp, I'd say that whilst the details at the top end (the attack on accoutic guitars, ride cymals etc) is poor from RCD200, it has plenty of power and slight 'car friendly curve'. IE some of the upper midrange is slightly quieter than bass, lower mid, and trebble. This upper mid is the one that isn't drowned out by engine/road noise, the nasty tiny sound of a crap stereo in a crap car. By making that a little quieter, once driving, the overall balance sounds better.

What causes the horrid bass then?

This is not how frequency responses should be done, but crudely, i put a CD of both a sweep (from lowest to highest frequency) and of white noice (sounds like radio fuzz, contains all frequencies) into player, and recorded output on mp3 player, from both stock VW speakers, and pair of average £80 hifi speakers. All driven from RCD 200

VW sweep response

HIFi sweep response

VW requency analysis

HIFI speakers frequency analysis

OK, probably far too technical, but just wanted to show that horrid bass is the speakers in the T5, not the head unit. A vague explanation of the above is that the top two show the volume starting from the lowest to highest frequencies. Both show more bass, for all sorts of reasons, not least the van is a very small room, and standing waves are set up. But ignoring the first of the two peaks, the VW speakers have a second huge one, at the 'high bass end', the hifi speakers only have one peak (at the vans resonant frequencies, i suggest).

Frequency analysis gives same finding. Look at the lump at the bass end compared to hifi speakers.

charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 07 at 16:10
Originally posted by MultiplexMan MultiplexMan wrote:

I have just ordered an Alpine W202E head unit with the iPod interface and will be going through all this next month on my next R&R.  I'm favouring the Alpine PDX4.150 for my front amplifier with a PDX1.1000 for my sub amp. Oh I've picked up a second hand PXA-H701 equaliser which should help with set-up - I love the audio forums .

Nice  I'm going with a Denison Ice link in the RCD200 now I know it half decent - may get a 'real' head unit later!

Have you decided on speakers?

I'm leaning heavily towards Dynaudio after having listened to the Esotec 242.  I had a long listen to the Focals but am not sure about the K2P.  I like the Focal subs though.

Will you be sound deadening too?  I've gone for Dynamat Extreme (eBay), RaamAudio BXT (direct from manufacturer) and rolls of Ensolite (Clark Rubber). 

No idea yet. I should imagine, without pre-emting my results, the answer will be the door speakers will be a big problem: They've tried to get lots of bass from small box and it booms. If it turns out the be the doors rather than speakers causing the boom, yes, will be deadening those, but it might be the speakers they put in have an inappropriate Q value, i.e. are far too floppy so resonate too easily. No idea yet. General deadening, yes, I was sent a sample of great Noise killer stuff, but that's another project, which I'll do once wiring is in place for extra battery :)

Let me know how your decisions on the above equipment go!

charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 07 at 16:39
Originally posted by TwoFish TwoFish wrote:

Charliem. Thanks for the info. I found it pretty daunting (and time consuming) when I was "podding and 'toothing" my RCD200. Your info would have been a great help then.

And your advice below would have been a great help to me as you'll see from what I just posted. I reinvented the wheel (terminal sabbotage)

Originally posted by TwoFish TwoFish wrote:

I'm not sure if we're talking about quite the same thing here, but to make extra connections in the spare holes in those blocks, I bought a generic VW connector thingy from Maplins, cut the plastic away with a Dremel, and salvaged the 'socketty' pins from inside. I then threaded the new cable through the existing block and crimped on the new 'socketty pin' (casn you tell I'm not an ICE pro?)

More on that in this thread.

Don't suppose you know where (in Nokia speak) the 'IGNS' connection is do you? (switched ignition I presume). I've still not been able to work that one out.

OK - well there are 4 wires connected to the Right hand socket on the pictures up this page:

I have an old ISO connector, and I labled that when I took it out of a car: it also has the same 4 wires connected, so I imagine they are the same.

wiring diagram

WRONGLY, mapping an ISO terminal onto this diagram, :

CAN - 12V ign (NOT on VW T5s with Delta!)

+U switched signal to extra amps etc (NOT on VW)

Ground symbol ground

+ SAFE 12V continuously unswitched (supply)

BUT This is wrong.

I just stuck a multi meter in following your post, thought clearly I can't touch CANbus connector. The ground is indeed ground, and both the +U and +SAFE are 12V whether or not ignition is on. Suggests 'switch on' comes from CANBUS - i.e. there is no switched 12V for phones etc. This will cause a problem for amps, so we'll need another switched source, perhaps cigarette lighter: anyone got suggestions? Where is nearest switched source?

Might be worth a line to bluespot.co.uk to see if their VW to standard ISO adaptor can provide a switched power (which would give us answer), but I'm pretty sure it can't.

Edited by charliem
charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 07 at 16:52

OK. Well I wish I did more earlier on. It is dark. I wish the garage hadn't mislaid the second page of the order for my T5 and had one delivered in summer with none of the second sheet of spec  I'd not have had to wait the entire time again!

I wonder who's going to buy the T5 they still have with a 174, ESP, fogs etc... but no so much as electric windows, nevermind sunroof, parking sensors, folding mirrors. Apparently they don't use follow on sheets for ordering any more

Next stage

Sometime this week I'll open door panels and see what standard stock speaker is, and whether damping would help, or whether it is entirely speaker causing it. I'd be interested whether Multiplex man found replacements still boomed. I'd offer to pop by to take a measurement, but I'm not passing Aus for a bit  Also, next thing is running wires for rears, deciding where they'll go, and probably doing this whilst doing battery, so the project may take a while. Ah, making blinds from some photographic black lightblock/fire retartadant material (seemingly rare) I got hold of. Just waiting on 25 meters of velcro...

MultiplexMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 07 at 19:51

A useful link for those updating their factory systems.

http://www.jewuwa.de/T5/T5_Sites/T5_Tipps/T5_Multimedia.htm

Most useful are the links to the cable/plug assignments.

Cheers, MM

charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 11:52

A useful link for those updating their factory systems.

http://www.jewuwa.de/T5/T5_Sites/T5_Tipps/T5_Multimedia.htm

Most useful are the links to the cable/plug assignments.

Cheers, MM

Excellent... so this:

http://www.jewuwa.de/T5/T5_Doku/Radios-VW-T5.pdf

from the site you suggest, would suggest between the delta and the RCD units, they removed pin 13, remote, so it is included only on the CD changer line. Not too much of a problem, as I'm sure the denison connector will use this signal to switch its self, but it does mean sabbotaging one wire on the Denison connector when it arrives too.

Edited by charliem

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 07 at 19:42

Hi Charliem,

I'm using the Radios-VW-T5.pdf as a reference too.  I will remote switch my amplifiers and processor from the AV head unit.  I will be powering my head unit off SchaltPlus (switched) rather than Dauerstrom (constant).

NOTE: Switched & Constant pin assignments in VW are switched from the ISO norm!  Check before connecting. 

NOTE: On some VW the Switched line becomes live on insertion, not necessarily rotation of the ignition key.

I have the single DIN CD player in the Beach and VW Tech Support could not confirm over the telephone if it took a CAN bus signal for any of its functions - in particular road speed for active volume adjustment. 

I am sure my head unit is an ISO unit.  If so, the key will be a connection, or absence of, in Block 3, Pin 1  (speed signal - GALA).

GALA
Geschwindigkeits
abhängige
Lautstärke
anpassung

ie. speed relative volume control

VW suggested removing the head unit and simply inspecting the plug assignment decal on the back of the unit. 

For Australian T5s, the change to "CAN bus integrated" head units began mid 2006.

The Alpine installer is currently cross referencing their installation database for any other T5 installs.

Cheers, MM

Another site full of useful info...

http://72.14.203.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.self madehifi.de/hifi/kfz-prod.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dschalt% 2Bplus%26hl%3Den

EDIT 1 - Just been informed that a parcel of Dynamat Extreme (2x bulk packs) has arrived along with a couple rolls of Ensolite.  R&R activities being planned...

EDIT 2 - Ordered a roll of BXT from RAAM Audio (USA) for my front doors.  BXT is very similar to Dynamat Extreme but for three notable exceptions.
1. The aluminium foil layer does not leave a sharp edge when trimmed
2. BXT can be moulded to shape by hand - a roller is not required
3. BXT is approximately half the price of Dynamat Extreme.

EDIT 3 - Alpine installer confirmed that my factory single CD head unit is an ISO only unit.  No CAN bus feed.

Edited by MultiplexMan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 07 at 07:05

I'm getting pricing of Dynaudio speakers as optioned on the EOS and the Passat (in Australia).

EOS part numbers (taken directly from parts) as follows.
1x (amplifier) Verstärker: 3C0 035 456 A / 1Q0 035 456 B
2x (mid range) Mitteltöner: 1Q0 035 415
2x (woofer) Tieftöner: 1Q0 035 454 D
2x (woofer) Tieftöner: 1Q0 035 454 E
2x (tweeter) Hochton: 1Q0 035 411 D
2x (tweeter with mirror "triangle" - corner trim) Hochton mit Spiegeldreiecken: 3C0 035 411 D

I'll update the post once prices come in.

Anyone with part numbers for the Dynaudio bits in the limited edition Multivan?

charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 07 at 14:47

NOTE: On some VW the Switched line becomes live on insertion, not necessarily rotation of the ignition key.

... and on some, sadly mine, I've discovered there definitely isn't a switched line. It is controlled by CAN only

EDIT 1 - Just been informed that a parcel of Dynamat Extreme (2x bulk packs) has arrived along with a couple rolls of Ensolite.  R&R activities being planned...

I went for the basic dynamat stuff. I didn't want to spend too much on it, so 70 quid for a bulk pack was all I wanted to go up to. Used it double in some places. Good to hear someone experienced chose the same stuff. I just went off reviews, but I notice someone did tests with a heat gun etc to see how extremes effect adhesion (for those of us who  want to go somewhere sunny without runny bitumen in the doors, blocking drainage channels etc).  See below for details.

EDIT 3 - Alpine installer confirmed that my factory single CD head unit is an ISO only unit.  No CAN bus feed.

And I'm now absoultely sure the RCD200 is CAN only. Elsawin 3.5 (data to 2008) still doesn't have rcd200 data in, but I'm pleased to have found my engine and gearbox now exist

Edited by charliem
charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 07 at 15:08

So.

Continuing this upgrade thing. I found that the stock speakers sound better with plastic door trims off. I covered most of inside of door trim, and some of the underneath door trim with dynamat. I also continued with replacing the door speakers. The original plastic one was removed (rivets drilled out, swarf cleared as per elsa manual) and the replacement (often labled for mark 5 golf) plastic adaptor put in place. This allows standard 16/17cm speakers to be used

Speaker can then be put in place

Note, the original plastic adaptor had a semicircle of plastic to stop water falling into speaker. I created something like this using a piece of plastic (e.g. icecream tub), making sure it was just clear of the window.

I also noticed that the VW speakers have a 'whizzer', i.e. mini cardboard cone stuck to speaker cone to produce higher frequencies. These are very poor, but why would they do that with the mid and tweeter already up there on the dashboard? Well. I opened the dashboard grille on mine:

View from windscreen.There aren't any. Nice space to install tweeters, but I'll have to run the wires (panel unclips from end of dash either side, so will run tweeter signal down to floor, along floor, then up the side of footwell to tweeters. I'm not taking the dash out!

charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 07 at 15:13

The damping was very effective at stopping the horrible bass boom from the door.

The head unit is fine, but I eventually decided not to spend £100 on an ipod adaptor for it, when little more would get me something with superb ipod control built in. I now want to install new head unit! Further to Multiplexman's info above:

There is no switched live!

So, next thing is looking through the fusebox, as it is the same problem as for wiring the leisure battery. I need a switched signal and a high current point to tap into. 20A for battery charger, and 2x30A for the Alpine amp I might have bought for some rear speakers

I think this might be the only way to do it:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2899107&postid= 33219018

Edited by charliem

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 07 at 20:42

Hi charliem,

Bugger - having only a CAN bus switched live in your T5. 

I guess I should be thankful the Beach came with the "simple" head unit and a non CAN bus interface.

How much depth is there in the door panel for the speaker?  I am curious as to how deep a speaker I could fit.  

Were there any difficulties/tips removing/fitting the door cards?  I only want to do this once...

Cheers, MM
(1 week till R&R )

charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 07 at 00:30

Hi MultiplexMan. Yea, I'll put a few points down. I'd imagine you don't need most of this, but for anyone else reading...

Before I throw the little card away, the speaker adaptor was Autoleads sak-3108. "For golf Mk V 2004> and Transporter 2004>" 

You probably know this, but for anyone else: Basically, you drill out the rivets (aluminium I think, but a steel pin, so clear out the swarf from the door - I avoided much then used water in a big syringe and I'm pretty sure with a light and mirror there was none left. It came out drain hole without problem - saves removing electrics from out door) in the plastic adaptor that the blaupunkt speaker is glued to, I replaced it with the above adaptor

The original speaker adaptors consist of a ring of plastic to which you could mount a 16/17 cm speaker. Only it would have to be a Very Shallow speaker. They therefore attatch an adaptor ring like the above which holds speaker forward from door, but glue the speaker to it. Hence having to remove the lot. You could just remove their adaptor fix yours to the ring of plastic they provide. I preferred the lot out.

Other than that - no probs. The door as mentioned elsewhere is an absolute !Things! to remove. The screws come out, but use a trim removal tool to pop the trim out. once pushed between plastic and metalwork they separate the trim holders so they come out easily. Just pulling the door may damage the odd one. It's like a two prong fork which is about 1/2cm thick if anyone trying this hasn't seen one. I used a skyes Pickvant one which is pretty tough plastic (not scrach, but fairly none break)

Depth? I think it was about 9cm. Appologies, but I have since forgotten. Even though I did it on Friday! Let's check though: my alpine S series are 63 mm (2 1/2 inches). There was definitely at leat a couple of cm behind them to window. I don't think many speakers are deeper, and frankly I'd not put really long throw speakers for extended bass in doors. They're crap cabinets and i'll use the high pass at 80Hz or so on my head unit to stop them doing any low bass. That frequency really isn't directional, so you it can come from rears (which in my case will be somewhere in bed unit I think, but mostly from sub).

Bit more work now I realise there aren't wires for tweeters (bet they gave you those MM, in addition to your ignition wiring if you're on a streak of luck). I'd still have opted for separates any day, as angle between door speaker and head is nearly 90 degrees, rubbish for decent sound. Crossover was included with speakers I got, which isn't hugely exciting as I have piles of inductors and caps from speaker building probjects. I'd have much rather had a bit of wire in the van for the tweeters. Sigh.

Assume you ahve elsawin? Grab handle off (you'll break part of cover clips, but doesn't matter), screws out of bottom and middle of door, then the door lifts up (but not too fast to damage wiring) Just enough room to peer behind and unclip wiring and bowden cable. Only other thing, when you re hang the door cards, make sure theyre right back against window. There's a position 'not quite there' which you can hang them in with a 1/2cm gap. Don't want to have to get the trim fasteners out a second time.

Edited by charliem
charliem View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 07 at 21:19

Switched live, semi resolved!!!

One more problem out the way - I'll post this as another thread as it might help people searching elsewhere:

Fuse SB19, a mini 5A fuse in upper fuse panel in dashboard is a switched live on 1st turn of ignition switch.

This, I believe goes to the radio if you have an pre-CAN radio, but is the only source of a switched live if you don't. Fuse tap only way to get to it without touching wiring harness.

Mike_T5 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 07 at 22:21
Not sure how relevant, and have no idea of what a 'pre-CAN' radio is, but my
'04 T5 has the switched live that MM spoke of, ie, the red and yellows
needing to be swapped over on the ISO connector, as the red is switched, as
opposed to the yellow. It won't switch off though until you actually pull the
key out of the ignition. Had a full install done on the van back in July '04, as
I too couldn't bear the sound of the standard radio, and have always been
spoilt by better systems ;) Opted for DLS components run active, with Phase
Aliante 10" subs. Sounds good now, but its no high end home audio system!

Mike.
04 reg T30 174ps, raven blue. AmD 205bhp remap since new, lowered, ABT AR19 alloys, modded to excess :-)
'03 E46 M3 Avus Blue, Champagne leather, but not pampered like the van ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>