The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to: AXD Manifold and Turbo Removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 15:53
Please Please PLEASE can someone tell me how the fuck the clamp comes off in photo 3 and 3.1. It is driving me insane!!!
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 17:37
The end of the exhaust is flared, that rests against a corresponding bulge on the turbo.  Once the allen bolt is out you will need to lever the clamp off if wriggling the exhaust backwards and forwards doesn't work.  Try soaking it in penetrating oil and them tapping a large old screwdriver under the clamp.  And keep wiggling.  When it's ready it'll just go.  
2004 2.5 174
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 18:42
So is the clamp two pieces then? I mean, the outer 'clamp' and then the inner V/U shaped bit which holds the exhaust to the turbo. Looks to me like it is spot welded together.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 19:14
No it's in one piece, it's just that although you have undone the allen bolt, the inner pieces (spot welded to the clamp as you say) are still stuck fast around the exhaust to turbo joint. 

It's best to buy a new clamp anyway so if you aren't sure the new clamp will make things clearer.  Smile
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 10 at 20:43
Right-o. Think I shall put it all back together and drop it in a MIJ Exhausts in Jan when I am up there, get a SS one instead.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 11 at 22:44
This thread is as far as I am taking it, if anyone wants to continue it then be my guest. Sorry it wasn't a complete walkthrough - more so for me as now I need to pay to get it fixed!
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 11 at 13:18
Coming back to this ole manifold chestnut. It seems PPT might be gearing up to being able to sell their alternative. Here's hoping.. Thumbs Up
2004 LWB 2.5 AXD 130hp, K&N Filter, Allard EGR Pipe and Oil Breather Tank....
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 11 at 23:06
Originally posted by Kitawagon Kitawagon wrote:

Coming back to this ole manifold chestnut. It seems PPT might be gearing up to being able to sell their alternative. Here's hoping.. Thumbs Up

Dont hold your breath, I spoke with them initially over a year ago and they began the development process shortly after (aided by "mistadave`s" contribution of a donor manifold)

I spoke with PPT again around 3 weeks ago after leaving my van in for a service they found the manifold was fecked and I required a replacement, they said that they had one manufactured and it was now in the testing phase but reading between the lines I dont expect the finished article to be available any time soon

Shame really as I had then had no option but to shell out ~£300+VAT to VW for another genuine manifold which clearly isnt fit for purpose, simply because there isnt an alternative

Between that, a service, brake pads all round, another broken rear spring (unbelieveable), drop links (again) and new shocks all round etc etc my "simple service" became a £1500 nightmare 

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 11 at 13:06
Breath held! Please oh please PPT deliver the goods. On a related note I also took delivery of the German Fleabay Turbo to manifold gasket. I'll take some pics and post. My ideal situation is for PPT to have their manifold ready by end of Sept, take delivery, book the van in to local indie, have them remove the turbo and crappy ole excuse for manifold, send turbo off for servicing, then have new PPT manifold, serviced turbo and fleabay gasket refitted (not sure if i'd need the gasket then but it seems a good idea?).

Wishful thinking, but I can but hope..
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 11 at 23:54
Any further news on the PPT manifold?
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 11 at 07:20
Sorry, I should have tidied this up. In short, the answer is nothing definate. Jason at PPT suggested a further 2 months (and that was three weeks ago), therefore we could be in luck in 5 weeks from now, say middle of November? Can I suggest that anyone who is wanting a replacement perhaps give PPT a call so they know the numbers of people that are keen? This may provide the additional impetus needed?

http://www.performancepipesandtuning.com/contact.php
Tel: 01507 611088

Cheers

Edited by Kitawagon - 12 Oct 11 at 07:21
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 11 at 07:56
On a related note, see the following pictures for the German fleabay ordered exhaust manifold to turbo joint. I'm hoping the fact that is has raised edges around the central hole will mean it will do the job better than perhaps a typically flat metal gasket? Thoughts?

The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 11 at 09:35
That ain't gonna help you much if like mine, the entire flange fell off the manifold.....
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 11 at 12:32
Originally posted by The Transporter The Transporter wrote:

That ain't gonna help you much if like mine, the entire flange fell off the manifold.....

That's true Cry. I hope not, but there is no way to know until it's out!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 11 at 15:38
Do you know if the EGR connection has been blanked on the new manifold? My one made it's own modification about 3 weeks ago where it sheared off - fixed with a coke can to get me home.
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 11 at 13:16
I'm 99% certain the PPT one will have no EGR spout..
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 11 at 21:51
Originally posted by Kitawagon Kitawagon wrote:

On a related note, see the following pictures for the German fleabay ordered exhaust manifold to turbo joint. I'm hoping the fact that is has raised edges around the central hole will mean it will do the job better than perhaps a typically flat metal gasket? Thoughts?

Could have done one of those when I did mine.  It looks like a crushable ring on the gasket which gives an extra thick seal when it's flattened.  It's the same idea as the triangular one that seals the oil supply/return on the turbo where it's bolted to the block.

Edited by T5 TDI - 14 Oct 11 at 21:53
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 11 at 18:29
How much was that Kitawagon? do you have a link?

Cheers
Kitawagon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitawagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 11 at 21:42
So here's the german ebay link:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Abgaskrummer-Turbolader-Krummer-Dichtung-VW-T5-2-5-TDI-AXD-R5K-/230681305626?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item35b5ad621a

But now I'm confused as there is also this lot? I'm guessing the other two are one for the turbo oil seal and the other for the exhaust clamping to the turbo? I wasn't aware the turbo to exhaust pipe was also at risk of leaking?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Turbolader-Dichtsatz-VW-T5-2-5TDI-96KW-BNZ-R5K-AXD-/230678084885?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item35b57c3d15

As I couldn't figure out how to register on german ebay, I simply emailed him at:

Merchant

Alexander Fink
shop@holex.org

The price I paid including delivery was €15.80 EUR

Note, if you're not fluent in german, try:

translate.google.co.uk

Just paste the above links in and translate from German to English.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 11 at 10:02
Many thanks fella.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>