The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How low can you go :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How low can you go :)
    Posted: 12 Dec 10 at 15:52
ok , i am about to order some AVO lowering springs from brickwerks , is 70mm drop to much for a westy ? does LPG tank etc get to low to the ground  ?

should i stick with 50mm drop ?

regards

Matt

Edited by 16vmini - 12 Dec 10 at 15:52
Stephen Greece View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 10 at 16:03
70mm borderline prohibited, if you want to retain a decent quality of the steering geometry and not wreck suspension components or the seatbox.The westy is heavy, 50mm should be fine. Take a look at the information page of the yard, also take a look in the brickwerks site, very well explained product info in the suspension category. Welcome to the yard!

Edited by Stephen Greece - 12 Dec 10 at 16:06
More time spent under it than in it....
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 10 at 16:13
hi thanks , was allways going 50mm , but my westy seems high LOL , so was just wondering what others had gone for.

just fitted central locking today to the two front doors  :) ...

Matt
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 10 at 17:21
i think general consensus is -50.  you can go as low as you want but there will be a trade off in ride quality. what is exceptable to some will be unbearable to others.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 10 at 17:52
look on the hi top thread in the bus park and you will see my old white california on -50mm avos
it was pleanty low enough
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 10 at 18:53
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

look on the hi top thread in the bus park and you will see my old white california on -50mm avos
it was pleanty low enough

that looks plenty low enough for me , and still be practical , 50mm on order tommorow i think

Matt
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 10 at 08:08
Jack it up, the syncro look is where it's at for 2011 Wink

16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 10 at 08:27
Originally posted by Holydiver Holydiver wrote:

Jack it up, the syncro look is where it's at for 2011 Wink

think i allready have the sncro

SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 10 at 08:58
Aside from steering and suspension geometry, at 70mm you'd be leaving precious little clearance under the Westy's plastic waste water tank...
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 10 at 09:00
Originally posted by SebRogers SebRogers wrote:

Aside from steering and suspension geometry, at 70mm you'd be leaving precious little clearance under the Westy's plastic waste water tank...

thats what i thought ,

will go with 50mm for now , as its got to still be used as a camper van with family ..

Matt
BALDY3260 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BALDY3260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 10 at 09:20
this is my single cab lowered 70mm with no weight so don't think you'd want to go this low with a camperWink
'95 T4 syncro multivan '08 fiat500(mrs b's)1968 eriba pan/familia (also mrs b's)
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 10 at 09:38
-50mm AVO's just ordered ... wonder if i will get them before xmas.

Matt
Stephen Greece View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 10 at 10:25

This is mine, its on Weitec -45mm, so expect it a bit lower.Wink

Originally posted by SebRogers:

Check the water tank in the pic, ...now imagine it grinding on the road with -70mm!

Edited by Stephen Greece - 13 Dec 10 at 10:27
More time spent under it than in it....
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 10 at 10:57
Originally posted by Stephen Greece Stephen Greece wrote:

This is mine, its on Weitec -45mm, so expect it a bit lower.Wink

how do you find it ? and i guess different makes of springs will have different effects on height.

ps . looks great !

Matt
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 10 at 11:08
my order status has been updated to Sent ,if thats true .. bloody good service from brickwerks so far :)

Matt
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 10 at 18:54
well the springs got to my doorstep today , so well done on the service ...

just a shame i was not in and they where taken away ! grrrrr

hope to catch them tommorow .. fit thursday :)

Matt
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 10 at 09:11
They come direct from AVO, so they need some of the credit for turning stuff around so quickly.

Nice to know though.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 10 at 09:36
well wife was in yesterday to collect , so they are now sat on the floor ... need to find some time to fit them next.

order a few more odds and sods from brickwerks last night so see how they go.

so thanks to avo and brickwerks :)

Matt
16vmini View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16vmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 11 at 11:54
finally got around to fitting them , my westy lowered by -50mm AVO /brickwerks springs :

..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 11 at 23:34
looking good. any chance you can measure from the wheel centre to the arch edges front and rear. probally going -50 with my westy.Thumbs Up
it`s a big round cage but there`s too many animals in it for my liking.to address this ring lee on 07977 765818.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>