The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I change the sidelight bulbs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 09 at 19:23
Originally posted by blackvanman blackvanman wrote:

Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

Removing the bumper is not difficult - I reckon the entire process (bumper off, bulbs changed, bumper on) could be done in 20 minutes - may take a little longer at your first attempt

is that a mk4 bumper? certainly couldn't be a t5!!

Yeah, its a MK4

I assume the T5 is a little harder?

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 09 at 20:03
without a ramp its a lot of crawling round on the floor!! wifes mk4 is simple, great car also! gt tdi 130
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 09 at 20:15
Originally posted by blackvanman blackvanman wrote:

without a ramp its a lot of crawling round on the floor!! wifes mk4 is simple, great car also! gt tdi 130

Agreed, mine is a 130 too, had it from new

Total sum of faults so far - one broken armrest catch that my caveman friend bust!

This is what made me get shot of my feckin Vito and get a T5

Vdub_heaven View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdub_heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 09 at 20:30
Originally posted by zedzedeleven zedzedeleven wrote:

This tale makes me think of the continental legislation that requires spare bulbs to be carried for instant replacement in case of bulb failure. Apparently there are worse examples than T5`s. I think if I was faced with it I would get the led`s, they are supposed to be more reliable than filament bulbs.

my ole man was over in france last year in his 150 mk4 golf and was pulled over for a spot check by the local police!!!  they actually made him change 2 bulbs, headlight and sidelight!!Ouch yep...... he changed the drivers sideLOL
made 'im sweat thoughCry
VW Galaxy 130 in black
220k t4 800 special just died!!RIP
Proud owner of an 05 T30 lwb 130 in a whiter shade of grey!!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 09 at 20:39
Going back to page one of the original thread, I can't believe the trouble you guys are having!  I just went out and took my sidelight bulb out in under 30 seconds (in the dark with a torch) as a test.  There isn't much room it's true, but it's not that bad...... Confused  There are some really evil bulbs to change on modern cars but the T5 isn't one of them.  (Well mine isn't at least).

I'm away working so I'm on a mobile internet connection at the moment but when I get back I'll post some pics or a video even Smile   Maybe your later vans are worse? 
2004 2.5 174
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 09 at 20:44
I changed my front indicator bulbs on the T5 and dont remember it being too difficult - and I`ve got big hands
Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 09 at 19:55
How do I change the headlight bulbs, though? Ruff, tuff & difficult or easy peasy?

Got a damn light out tonight...

Angry
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 09 at 22:45
I can't see how you boys are finding it difficult either. Sidelight removal for me was made awkward because it has melted in the holder and the holder wouldn't come out of the light. Indicators are easy enough as the complete holder and bulb comes out by twisting it 1/4 turn. To change the headlight bulbs, you first need to unscrew the headlight backing cap, remove the wiring plug, then undo the spring clip holding it in place in the light. Piece of piss really.....
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 09 at 11:06
Originally posted by The Loon The Loon wrote:

... Piece of piss really.....

I'll tell the missus it won't take her long, then.. LOL
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 09 at 11:37
Originally posted by Reverend Reverend wrote:

I'll tell the missus it won't take her long, then.. LOL

LOL  Wait a minute you don't have to bother, you remember that trick you used to do all those years ago.....  Just wave your arms about and say 'Let there be light' and it'll come back on!  Big smile  Evil Smile
2004 2.5 174
Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 09 at 08:47
I wuz doing ok back then....life looking good, baby on the way, that sort of thing, then....Whoosh...along come this bloke called Darwin...Where's the Monopolies Commision when ya need 'em, eh?

Wink
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 09 at 16:30
I have this feeling we'll both be going to that other, slightly hotter place when we go reverend  Evil Smile  
2004 2.5 174
castoutdoors View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castoutdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 10 at 18:18
i now this is old thread but my god how the hell can i get my side lights out they just will not come out try the wiggle method and the turn bit and pull tryed piles just will not give!!! want to change them both as blow one due to messing bout get one out or .....
do give in go to vw
Will i ever finsh working on it !!!
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 10 at 20:45
If they won't turn even a millimetre they are probably melted like Loon's.  If they are, no point in going in ham fisted and mangling something.  They have to be turned first before pulling.  I'd go for long nosed pliers and some gentle perseverance.  Worse case senario is headlamps out and curse crappy plastic modern car design. Cry
2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castoutdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 10 at 22:57
i have try that with good old need nose!! they with turn competely 360 but no point do they free dont look melted ever what postion do the need to be in
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 10 at 23:26
Originally posted by castoutdoors castoutdoors wrote:

i have try that with good old need nose!! they with turn competely 360 but no point do they free dont look melted ever what postion do the need to be in

Mmm wonder if babelfish will translate that? LOL
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castoutdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 10 at 07:08
yer sorry my bad basicly i have tryed the wiggle method and the turn and wiggle and with needle nose pilers too just trying to find out what postion they need to be in for the turn method or give up just get them to do it now
merseyspeed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merseyspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 10 at 10:26
Originally posted by matsvan matsvan wrote:

problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

go to halfords, pick upthe cheapest bulbs, have them fitted for £2.99. watch them struggle and swear. when they get them out, hand them the bulbs you want fitted!!!

jobs a good'un!!

i wouldn't let a haffords employee walk my dog, (if i had a dog!)Confused
Alex from merseyspeed in liverpool suppliers of wheels,suspension etc and a T5 OWNER!0151 525 9954 www.merseyspeed.co.uk sales@merseyspeed.co.uk T5 CARAVELLE BUMPERS IN STOCK T5 ULTRA-LOW SPRINGS £276
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 10 at 10:34
Fuck that. It can be a bit of a bugger and when I did mine, I broke the holders and had to get and wire in new ones. Would they do that if they did the same?
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castoutdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 10 at 22:10
i gave in !in the end and got a garage too do it for me he did even charge me for it result !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>