The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Top Board Rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodsbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Top Board Rack
    Posted: 20 May 11 at 20:07
Hi all, just finished fabricating the parts and fitting a side mounted rack to my high top westy to hold the surfboards. Thought I'd post a couple of pics in case any one else was looking to do similar.  Made from a pair of halfords high top side bars (£45 ish) and some 3mm steel bar from a local steel merchants. Secured to the roof using the factory fit bolt holes & stainless bolts.  Total cost was around the £50 mark.

billen View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 11 at 20:24
TidyThumbs Up
billen
1.6TD Westy poptop. New van, same old problems

Ornulf View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ornulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 11 at 11:39
Looks great! You recon it will hold the weight of two longboards? I have a 1990 westy high top, but I dont see any factory bolt holes. Where yours hidden under the epoxy or just out in the open ready to be used?

BR
Ornulf
bodsbus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodsbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 11 at 20:24
Thanks.  Should be OK with the weight, I have had similar set ups with a windsurfer on and not had any problems.  There were 4 holes (one each corner) with nylon bolts in them fastening to a threaded hole in the steel reinforcing frame inside the roof. If the bolts are not there I am not sure if the threaded holes will be - you could pop off the ceiling trim panel and have a look. i have a photo of it somewhere, I'll dig it out.
pete23 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 11 at 21:13
very nice job - was looking for something to attach a canoe on!
radman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 11 at 09:28
Very smart! What size bolt (diameter and length) did you use for the factory holes in the roof? What did you use to get the nice finish on your hightop roof?

Radman 
bodsbus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodsbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 11 at 12:02
M10 stainless bolts, 20mm length. That is the same size as the nylon ones that it comes with but luckily I had some lying around. 

As for the roof finish - tcut and elbow grease.  It was very dull and rough before starting and took an hour or so per side.  Still got the back and top to do mind Cry
bodsbus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bodsbus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 11 at 10:03
Ornulf, sorry I can't seem to find all the pics I took while working on the inside.  The best I can find is this one where you can just see the nylon bolt poking throught he hole on the top right corner of the pic.
 Post Reply Post Reply