The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi all. New to the forum.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 11:06
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

Loverly looking beastie. Someone is having a bit of fun putting the tags on. The engine is probably still the VW 2.4TD. Volvo used it but with a number of differences. A couple more pics will give us more info if you have the time, hint, hintWink

It does have the lower engine cover which means a good bit of work in bulkhead hacking and floorpan manipulation.

Are you saying it is stock or looks as if it has been adapted? 

Malc
Yes it's me!
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 11:07
I will take some engine and pics. I don't think it has been messed about with, but who knows. It does have a VW racing sticker on the rear, so anything is possible. but it may just be something someone put on. 
Yes it's me!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 11:48
Do not worry Malc, just us being observant.Geek

It may be that the square headlights and surrounds have been swapped for the round ones.

1983 was the year of the 'facelift' lots of new bits including the D24 in place of the 2 litre Diesel Perkins and Petrol Audi.

Below is the old style engine cover and floorpan/bulkhead.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 11:58

Do not worry Malc, just us being observant.Geek

It may be that the square headlights and surrounds have been swapped for the round ones.

1983 was the year of the 'facelift' lots of new bits including the D24 in place of the 2 litre Diesel Perkins and Petrol Audi.

Below is the old style engine cover and floorpan/bulkhead.

Bugger it. I am going to like it here, you lot are as geeky about vans as me. Grrr...

Yes I have done a lot of reading up and have driven LT's since the 1979 in my various jobs. I remember the Perkins engine in one that I drove ( ahem - crud) and I remember running out of fuel in a van with the 2,0 Audi carb engine back in 1981- in Edinburgh in the snow. That was fun... anyhow I digress. Here are some pictures as promised...

Cab area..

Edited by poptop2 - 01 Dec 14 at 17:11
Yes it's me!
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 12:03
I took a couple more of the inside while I had the cover off...

Tacho - OG

I know everyone loves pictures Smile

Malc
Yes it's me!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 12:38
Well, you learn something new every day.Embarrassed

In 1983 there were chassis changes, and I had always thought that the other changes were done at the same time, BUT wrongity wrong wrong.

Between 1983 and 1989 both round and square are still listed as parts, round from 1975, square from 1983-96. There is still a little discrepancy between lists, but they broadly agree.

Standing corrected in my NHS issued orthopedic shoes.Ouch

Anyway no better excuse to see more.... 
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 14:30
Another crossover type year - My bay took me month's to work out why I was getting the wrong part sent- Turns out there was a late crossover as apposed to the standard crossover which everyone knew about. I got to the bottom of it, then took two years convincing people I was right. Ruddy VW's!

So, we agree it is stock. I guessed the lump and the lights were. You can usually spot when it someone has been fettling. 
Yes it's me!
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 14:32

Anyway no better excuse to see more.... 

I will post up some more later. I am working on my Doka atm, just popped in for a cuppa. Thumbs Up

I do have a picture of the two full sets of keys. All labelled and working.

Edited by poptop2 - 01 Dec 14 at 14:34
Yes it's me!
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 14:57
I have finished the plate I was welding on the Doka. Here is a link to some of my own findings that I posted up on Volkzone before stumbling on this section of The  Brick-yard. Superb section btw.Thumbs Up

Edited by poptop2 - 01 Dec 14 at 16:40
Yes it's me!
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 16:38
Clown

Edited by poptop2 - 01 Dec 14 at 16:47
Yes it's me!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 16:40
Originally posted by poptop2 poptop2 wrote:

Try this link ^ Smile

Well, you learn something new every day.Embarrassed

I said that before...surely....LOL

VW LT Camper not Cramper

poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 15 at 13:22
Hi fellow LT owners and enthusiasts. 

This weekend me son Will and I attended dubfreeze with the late bays guys. We enjoyed the company and the show, and on Sunday had the most pleasant surprise. I have been asking about my conversion and the maker for some time. Initially I was inclined to believe it was a offshoot of some horse box maker that simply ordered an interior from Autotrail of Grimsby as it is very similar in shape and style. On Sunday I found out different. This is the story I posted on the late bay forum.They are just as interested in my LT as I am.so as they were actually present I posted it up for the guys to read. 

On Saturday Will and I made our way to the new Bingley hall Stafford in our yet to be seen by other members VW LT50 Woodlander for our first TLB meet of the season, Dubfreeze. We were joined by the effervescent VWolive and half a dozen other tlbers, so we were in pleasant company and braved the cold 'as a man'. Actually, we were slightly warmer ( in mind)  because at a push we could retreat to the warmth of the Woodlander and its comfort if need be, but the great company held us firmly to the outside chairs around the firepit.

On Sunday after being joined by Flakey and a few others we did the inside show ( which was pretty good btw) Will enjoyed meeting Fuzz Townshend at the Carol Nash stand and winning a sweatshirt. afterwards we retreated to the warmth of the woodlander and were soon joined by Rick, Mrs Rick , daisy Moons Johnno, Bern and Flakey. we were not uncomfortable or packed in, and the van took on a warm tlb glow. As we sat and stood chatting a knock came on the door. Rick answered and a chap stepped in saying " I built this van" Rick showed him, his son and his two grandchildren in and soon he was seated with Bern and myself and relating the tale of his business venture, He explained that he wanted a big motorhome and had been to autotrail to view them and upon seeing how they were made on the factory tour had decided to make his own in his barn, he was a joiner so naturally had the required skills. he told me the chassis was £10,000 alone when he purchased it from beeches of Stoke. he then told me He sold them for £30,000 when finished and promised to send me further details. He went on to say the first van he made was a LT35 that was burned down while on a stand in the Bingley hall fire of 1984. He made mine second and kept the 3rd one for himself which he still owns. We all listened intently as this chap spoke and the marvelous coincidence unfolded. To cap it all, he wasn't even there for the dub show, he was simply helping out with a garden railway exhibition and had wandered over with his son to take a look at the dubs for sale. We spent 30 or 40 minutes chatting, swapped telephone numbers and he invited me to his home in Cheadle where the van was made, it's called Woodlands.

When home from a great weekend, I was settling in for a quiet night when the phone rang. It was Chris the maker of my motorhome, we chatted and he spoke in more detail of his enterprise, he again invited me and Lou to his home and workshop to visit his wife ( who also worked on my van and would dearly like to see it )which we have readily agreed to do when the weather warms up. he asked for my address and today in the post I received these...

I am chuffed, what great bloke.

[​IMG]

The original brochure ( only one in existence)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Building the first one..

[​IMG]

Mine, the second one being handed over to the buyer new.

[​IMG]
Internal pictures of my van. I wish I had the original swivel seats still.

[​IMG]

Original brochure picture..

[​IMG]
Original drawings when he designed the layouts..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A cracking weekend. I was even joined in the Woodlander afterwards by @Dicky Who I think wished I would take a breath when relating the tale.

I enjoyed meeting friends old and new. Tlb'ers are a great bunch, but Mr Stephens the builder just capped a great weekend in the cold of Staffordshire.

Edited by poptop2 - 19 Feb 15 at 16:49
Yes it's me!
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 15 at 13:24

Pictures of the actual fire in 1984 where the first woodlander LT35 ( the only 35 he made ) was destroyed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited by poptop2 - 19 Feb 15 at 13:28
Yes it's me!
Cableguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cableguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 15 at 14:53
Wow, what a fantastic story.
Brilliant and thanks for sharing
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 15 at 15:43
Originally posted by Cableguy Cableguy wrote:

Wow, what a fantastic story.
Brilliant and thanks for sharing

Couldn't make it up could yer?
Yes it's me!
sky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 15 at 16:16
welcome mate very nice lt
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 15 at 16:34
Super story Malc, thank you for sharing. You never know who you will meet.Thumbs Up

VW LT Camper not Cramper

carlcheadle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlcheadle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 15 at 20:59
Hi Malc

It's Carl here Chris Stephens's son who was at Stafford the other week. Great to see so many pics on this camper online and its clearly still loved. Attached is a picture of its sister Woodlander Camper No 3, in this picture she came out last summer last taxed 1999. l Would also like to point out, the first camper my dad made he had no drawings at all, just built it from a vision in his head. Luckily before he took the fist one to Bingley hall, he took some measurements. Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

Edited by carlcheadle - 08 Mar 15 at 21:00
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 15 at 21:23
Originally posted by carlcheadle carlcheadle wrote:

Hi Malc

It's Carl here Chris Stephens's son who was at Stafford the other week. Great to see so many pics on this camper online and its clearly still loved. Attached is a picture of its sister Woodlander Camper No 3, in this picture she came out last summer last taxed 1999. l Would also like to point out, the first camper my dad made he had no drawings at all, just built it from a vision in his head. Luckily before he took the fist one to Bingley hall, he took some measurements. Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

Hi Chris.  The picture posting takes a little working out on this forum bud. Here you go.

Click image for larger version    Name: Woodlander for the web.jpg  Views: 2  Size: 68.8 KB  ID: 130553

Looking forward to seeing you all again too. M Smile
Yes it's me!
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 15 at 21:28
Click image for larger version    Name: Woodlander for the web.jpg  Views: 2  Size: 68.8 KB  ID: 130553
Yes it's me!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>