The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help
    Posted: 05 Sep 18 at 19:39
Hi to all
I am Erik from Berlin Germany. We (me and my girlfriend) are her in holiday and at time we are in Cumberhauld near Glasgow on the way to the Busfest in Malvern.
My big Problem is, the engine doesnt starts after overheating. If i would like to start the engine, its sounds there is no compression.
Now iam looking for a garage or an T3 owner who can helps me.
The car is a T3 (T3) from 1991 with 1,6 Turbodiesel engine JX.

Iam hope someone can help me.

Erik
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 18 at 19:47
I would suggest you also cross-post to the 8090 forum.

1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
Erik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 18 at 19:52
Thank you
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 18 at 23:47
Hi Erik,

Diagnosing mechanical issues over the internet without seeing the vehicle firsthand is always a bit of guesswork.

How bad was the overheat - Was there any coolant left in the system or was it run dry? Still got engine oil showing on dipstick?

One thing you could try is to buy some Easystart (aerosol tin) which is used to fire up engines that need some chemical assistance due to lack of compression.
NB: You only need to give the engine a little whiff of the stuff into the intake as prolonged squirts can be hard on an engine as it knocks hard as it combusts.

Make sure you top up the coolant system before trying to start it. The Easystart might help get the engine running so you can let it run and heat cycle it and check for any issues.
It could be the headgasket has blown or the piston rings cooked into the pistons which may free off as the engine warms up if the pistons haven't picked up badly on bore walls.

Have had a couple of Vauxhalls turbo diesels (no temp gauges on them) and Peugeots that were overheated with little compression but came good with a few heat cycles.
Worth a try as can't really cause any further damage to what has already occurred.

I'm about an hour's drive north of Cumbernauld in a normal car (so probably about 2 hours in a T3 LOL)

Edited by danstervan - 05 Sep 18 at 23:55
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 18 at 13:35
With regard to my post last night. I'll add that it would be a good idea to temporarily disconnect the engine's breather pipes and with a bit of modification run them to a separate made up vented catch tank, and blank the points where the breather pipes originally connected to the intake system.

Reason for this is to prevent a runaway engine situation if there is significant blowby past the piston rings which will cause the engine to breath oil mist excessively if and once the engine fires up.
If you've never experienced a runaway engine before, best to keep it that way! Shocked
Erik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 18 at 14:46
Dear danstervan
Thanks for your ideas and solution.
I have found a campany they can help me.
It call Bedrock Retro Dubs in Motherwell.
After fixing the both waterflange i habe pressure in coolingsytem and a little bit fog.
So i believe the zylinderheadgasket is broken.
 Post Reply Post Reply